5.4 - ts_classic package and DHCP on STP enabled routers.

5.4 - ts_classic package and DHCP on STP enabled routers.

Guilherme Scaglia
Greetings everybody.
I'm porting my old thinstation 5.1 images to  5.4, and I'm running into a issue with boot time configuration that I didn't have before.

Due do spanning tree protocol kicking in my thinclient takes a good while to receive a DHCP offer during boot. The only impact on 5.1 is a slow boot process, but on 5.4 udhcpc forks itself to the background after a few seconds and boot proceeds without waiting for DHCP. While this would be good on most cases, it causes boot time configuration to fail as there is no networking available to fetch the configuration files.

Is there anyway to change this behavior back to how it was back in 5.1, i.e. force the boot process to wait for an DHCP lease? NET_DHCP_DELAY seems ineffective.

P.S. I'm aware off the trick using a cheap 8-port switch between the thinclient and router, but it's not feasible in my case due to the large amount of thinclients we serve over our country that will be in this situation. I did like to stick to software solutions, specially since this issue defeats the purpose of boot time configuration.
Yours sincerely,
--

Guilherme Costa Scaglia
Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento - Software

WPS Brasil Ltda.
R. Maestro Gabriel Migliori nº 515  Bairro do Limão | São Paulo 02712-140
T +55 11 3055 3344  |  W  www.wpsbrasil.com |

Re: 5.4 - ts_classic package and DHCP on STP enabled routers.

Guilherme Scaglia
Don,
Thank you. Changing net.sh as instructed solved my problem.

Just to clarify for other future readers, udhcpc is called from inside net.sh script during boot to obtain a DHCP lease. While timeout and other parameters are read from environment variables (NET_DHCP_* in thinstation.config.buildtime), the -b switch is hardcoded on the script. This switch is the one responsible for the background forking. One could easily add an variable for this switch should it be needed, but for my specific case removing it completely is enough.
Yours sincerely,
---