Adding newer network drivers to the kernel

Adding newer network drivers to the kernel

Doherty, Adam
Hello:

I am trying to deploy Thinstation to CompuLab Fitlets.

I am able to successfully boot the devices via PXE.
However once in the desktop environment the network interface is unavailable.

The network interface is an Intel I211 and is serviced by the igb kernel module, however the igb kernel module included with Thinstation does not function with the Fitlet.
I've compiled a new igb.ko using the latest sources from Intel using the DevStation -
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/13663/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-82575-6-82580-I350-and-I210-211-Based-Gigabit-Network-Connections-for-Linux-?httpDown=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadmirror.intel.com%2F13663%2Feng%2Figb-5.3.5.4.tar.gz
When I copy this igb.ko to the thin client after booting and running depmod -a, and then modprobe igb the interface then works.

However I am unsure of how to integrate the new igb module into the kernel when I build my image.
I can't seem to find reliable, up to date information on this process with Thinstation.

Thanks very kindly.

Re: Adding newer network drivers to the kernel

Don Cupp
It is true, out-of-tree kernel modules are not well documented for TS, but the process is not so crazy different than any other distro.

Here are a couple of examples of out-of-tree module compilation that are included with TS

A really complicated and not really recommended way,

On Monday, January 30, 2017 10:57 AM, "Doherty, Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Michael K-2
Because the igb kernel module is also in the main kernel, you're probably going to have issues.  "module igb" in build.conf could grab either one.  So, you could make it as an extra kernel module as Don suggested, but you might need to tell it to rename itself to something other than igb.ko.  I don't know if that's an option or not in the module's makefile.

Is this possibly better solved by jumping to a newer patch of the current long-term stable kernel in Thinstation?  Just change the VERSION under kernel-modules and then rebuild the kernels and modules under there (I think there's a script for that).

As long as the module is not installed in the same place as the in-tree kernel driver, you could just call repackage on the port to make a package by the same name.  Or for a hack, just make a package with the module in the right spot.  Just make sure you don't include both igb modules.