Auto Launch TN5250 On Startup - Help

Motech09
I want TN5250 to automatically launch upon startup but so far I have failed to achieve this.  Would the below not work?  I have switched their session numbers, set autostart on/off for each while testing but the session will not even start and it will throw the shutdown command.  So far, it only works if I leave TN5250 autostart off but then I have to manually launch it via the shortcut.

SESSION_0_TYPE=XFWM4
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=ON

SESSOIN_1_TYPE=TN5250
SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=ON
SESSION_1_SERVER=MYSERVER
SESSION_1_ICON=ON

Re: Auto Launch TN5250 On Startup - Help

Motech09
The typo in session below is only in this post, not my actual config.  I just noticed that.

Re: Auto Launch TN5250 On Startup - Help

Motech09
Perhaps I am not understanding the nature of "SESSIONS" and how they work.

SESSION_0
SESSION_1
SESSION_2

These three sessions are separate from each other, correct? But session 0 will be the default session that it will start up with? So, to boot up with session 2, do I need to set SESSION_2_SCREEN=2 or something?

I think this is where I fail to grasp the concept.

Re: Auto Launch TN5250 On Startup - Help

Michael K-2
No, I don't think that's the problem.
Sessions are launched by calling the pkg command.  So something like 'pkg window tn5250 <server>' is called.  pkg looks for /etc/init.d/tn5250 which is usually a link to /etc/thinstation.packages.  In turn, this looks for various files matching /etc/cmd/tn5250.* of which tn5250 is the most important.

I think you want to use 'terminal' as type for xfce and 'xterm' as type for others (or if xterm works better).  Then pass the commands to launch your tn5250 via SESSION_1_TERMINAL_OPTIONS (or XTERM instead of TERMINAL)

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Motech09 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps I am not understanding the nature of "SESSIONS" and how they work.

SESSION_0
SESSION_1
SESSION_2

These three sessions are separate from each other, correct? But session 0
will be the default session that it will start up with? So, to boot up with
session 2, do I need to set SESSION_2_SCREEN=2 or something?

I think this is where I fail to grasp the concept.

Re: Auto Launch TN5250 On Startup - Help

Motech09
This post was updated on .
Interesting information, Michael.  So, you suggest setting it as below.  I believe I have attempted this at the beginning of my trial & error run.  I will attempt this again but I think XTERM_OPTIONS is not the commands but the actual XTERM options for launching XTERM itself.  That is the issue I ran into, even though XTERM would launch I was unable to execute the command to launch TN5250 but I will circle back and see.  Also, I chose XTERM for the font re-sizing options since that is the only way to increase the size of TN5250 sessions; otherwise, the TN5250 screen will be too small:

SESSION_0_TYPE=xfwm4
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=off

SESSION_1_TYPE=XTERM
SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=on
SESSION_1_XTERM_OPTIONS="tn5250 eth100 env.DEVNAME=TMECLK6 env.USER=TIMECLOCK env.IBMSUBSPW=MYPASSWORD"

#SESSION_1_TYPE=tn5250
#SESSION_1_SCREEN=1
#SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=off
#SESSION_1_TN5250_SERVER=ETH100
#SESSION_1_TN5250_OPTIONS="env.DEVNAME=TMECLK6 env.USER=TIMECLOCK env.IBMSUBSPW=MYPASSWORD"
#SESSION_1_ICON=ON

XTERM_CMD="xterm -fa 'Monospace' -fs 20 -fullscreen"

Re: Auto Launch TN5250 On Startup - Help

Motech09
Michael, if I use the below settings then XTERM will actually launch IF I leave out the OPTIONS; otherwise, if I include the OPTIONS then I am left with just a black screen:

SESSION_1_TYPE=xfwm4
SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=off

SESSION_0_TYPE=XTERM
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=on
#SESSION_0_XTERM_OPTIONS="tn5250 eth100 env.DEVNAME=TMECLK6 env.USER=TIMECLOCK env.IBMSUBSPW=MYPASSWORD"

Re: Auto Launch TN5250 On Startup - Help

Don Cupp
Might need to prefix -e to tn5250, so that Xterm knows to run an external command.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Motech09
Michael, if I use the below settings then XTERM will actually launch IF I
leave out the OPTIONS; otherwise, if I include the OPTIONS then I am left
with just a black screen:

SESSION_1_TYPE=xfwm4
SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=off

SESSION_0_TYPE=XTERM
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=on
#SESSION_0_XTERM_OPTIONS="tn5250 eth100 env.DEVNAME=TMECLK6
env.USER=TIMECLOCK env.IBMSUBSPW=MYPASSWORD"

Re: Auto Launch TN5250 On Startup - Help

Motech09
Don, you're a genius.  I've finally got it to launch as visioned and I can continue forward with setting up the device now.  This will save us around $2000+ in license/maintenance fees that comes with an alternative solution --- if I can get it to read a card reader and use a touch screen monitor.

Thanks a million.
Thanks Michael.