Boot config files

McHenry
https://github.com/Thinstation/thinstation/wiki/Printer-configuration

Under "Option B" in the link above it states:
"Only define in thinstation.conf.buildtime or any config group:"
  • CUPS_PRINTER_0_NAME="sample network printer 0"
  • CUPS_PRINTER_0_DEVICEURI="socket://ip_address"
  • CUPS_PRINTER_0_DRIVER="drv:///sample.drv/generpcl.ppd"
My printer works when the three lines are included in thinstation.conf.buildtime but not when included in any other config file.

I have placed these lines in a thinstation.conf.group-testing file and linked it using thinstation.hosts however the printer fails to appear in cups this way.

At boot I see the following startup messages which indicates the group is being loaded:
"Getting group configurations..."
"Adding group parameters for testing"

Any pointers would be appreciated...

Re: Boot config files

McHenry
I can confirm that other settings placed in the file "thinstation.conf.group-testing" are loaded correctly upon boot.

Can anyone please suggest why my CUPS settings are not being loaded.

Re: Boot config files

McHenry
Further info that may assist (I hope...)

I have been checking the success of the printer installation via the local cups web interface "localhost:631"

When defined in thinstation.build.buildtime the printer is listed however when using the group config file there are no printers listed in the cups web interface.

Re: Boot config files

McHenry
Hi Don and thank you very much for assisting here:

cat /etc/thinstation.network
CUPS_PRINTER_0_NAME="sample network printer 0"
CUPS_PRINTER_0_DEVICEURI="socket://192.168.1.20"
CUPS_PRINTER_0_DRIVER="drv:///sample.drv/generpcl.ppd"
SESSION_1_TITLE="FreerdpTest"

Re: Boot config files

Don Cupp
Lets try this,

from chroot,
sed -i -e 's/KEY/set -x\nKEY/g' /build/packages/cups/etc/init.d/cups

then build and boot. send back the log

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:18 PM, McHenry <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Don and thank you very much for assisting here:

cat /etc/thinstation.network
CUPS_PRINTER_0_NAME="sample network printer 0"
CUPS_PRINTER_0_DEVICEURI="socket://192.168.1.20"
CUPS_PRINTER_0_DRIVER="drv:///sample.drv/generpcl.ppd"
SESSION_1_TITLE="FreerdpTest"

Re: Boot config files

McHenry
Hi Don, to ensure I send back the correct info do you want the log from Thinstation after I boot the thin client?

Can I ask if the log you are after is /var/log/boot.log from the Thinstation machine?

On 30 June 2016 at 23:07, Don Cupp [via Thinstation] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lets try this,

from chroot,
sed -i -e 's/KEY/set -x\nKEY/g' /build/packages/cups/etc/init.d/cups

then build and boot. send back the log

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:18 PM, McHenry <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Don and thank you very much for assisting here:

cat /etc/thinstation.network
CUPS_PRINTER_0_NAME="sample network printer 0"
CUPS_PRINTER_0_DEVICEURI="socket://192.168.1.20"
CUPS_PRINTER_0_DRIVER="drv:///sample.drv/generpcl.ppd"
SESSION_1_TITLE="FreerdpTest"

http://thinstation.4464.n7.nabble.com/Boot-config-files-tp26098p26111.html
To unsubscribe from Boot config files, click here.
NAML

Re: Boot config files

Don Cupp
Yes, that should be the one.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 8:19 PM, McHenry
[...]

Hi Don, well the log file was very enlightening...

The printer name with spaces was causing problems so I replaced the spaces with hyphens and that error went, now the printer appears in the cups web interface.

Thanks for pointing me to the log file :)

p.s. Now I just need to update the hpijs package to get the printer driver.

On 1 July 2016 at 14:02, Don Cupp [via Thinstation] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://thinstation.4464.n7.nabble.com/Boot-config-files-tp26098p26113.html
To unsubscribe from Boot config files, click here.
NAML

Re: Boot config files

Don Cupp
I recently merged MichaelK's branch, so this might be newer in git than your checkout.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 11:17 PM, McHenry
[...]

Thanks Don, I am using DevStation 5.4

Can this be updated from git (not my strong point) or do I need to start from scratch?

Before going to the trouble is there any way to confirm if the newer version in git has the updated hpijs file?