Chrome_options

Steve Stromberg
Good day once again,

I'm setting up a new thinstation build for a webkiosk and need to make
sure that chrome is set to only resolve to 3 sites in total. I've tried
passing through this line in my buildtime :

SESSION_1_CHROME_OPTIONS="--host-rules="MAP * xxx.xxx.com, EXCLUDE
aaa.aaa.com, EXCLUDE bbb.bbb.com""

I've noted that I have to put, according to what I've read about chrome
cmd line switches, a second set of quotes in there and I am wondering if
that isn't being read right and the script could only be passing on the
--host-rules= part of that statement. Is there any way around this, or
perhaps another place this line could be entered for it to be passed along
to chrome when the session launches?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Chrome_options

Brandon Rush
Maybe you could try single quotes within the double quotes, ex:

SESSION_1_CHROME_OPTIONS="--host-rules='MAP * xxx.xxx.com, EXCLUDE aaa.aaa.com, EXCLUDE bbb.bbb.com'"

Brandon Rush
Sr Systems Engineer
Home Agent IT Infrastructure
Teleperformance USA

Office +1 801-257-6133
Mobile +1 614-218-4142
Charleston, South Carolina
[hidden email]

  teleperformance.com |   facebook.com/teleperformanceglobal  |   twitter.com/teleperformance  |   youtube.com/teleperformance

The information contained in this communication is privileged and confidential.  The content is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by telephone or e-mail, and delete this message from your systems.
Please consider the environmental impact of needlessly printing this e-mail.

I'm setting up a new thinstation build for a webkiosk and need to make sure that chrome is set to only resolve to 3 sites in total. I've tried passing through this line in my buildtime :

SESSION_1_CHROME_OPTIONS="--host-rules="MAP * xxx.xxx.com, EXCLUDE aaa.aaa.com, EXCLUDE bbb.bbb.com""

I've noted that I have to put, according to what I've read about chrome cmd line switches, a second set of quotes in there and I am wondering if that isn't being read right and the script could only be passing on the --host-rules= part of that statement. Is there any way around this, or perhaps another place this line could be entered for it to be passed along to chrome when the session launches?

Thanks,

Steve

OpManager is web-based network management software that monitors network devices and physical & virtual servers, alerts via email & sms for fault. Monitor 25 devices for free with no restriction. Download now http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/292181274;119417398;o

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

[hidden email] writes:
>Maybe you could try single quotes within the double quotes, ex:
>
>SESSION_1_CHROME_OPTIONS="--host-rules='MAP * xxx.xxx.com, EXCLUDE
>aaa.aaa.com, EXCLUDE bbb.bbb.com'"

I did think of that afterwards, and unfortunately it didn't work : (. Also
Don's suggestion of:

>You can escape the inner quotes, so that they are passed along like "yada
>yada \"blah\""

Also did not work. I can confirm that the command line works, as I have
run this from the terminal on the dev station:

chrome --kiosk --host-rules='MAP * xxx.xxx.com, EXCLUDE aaa.aaa.com,
EXCLUDE bbb.bbb.com' https://xxx.xxx.com

This gives me the exact behaviour that I am looking for from chrome. I can
use single or double quotes there and it works great, just not when
entered in the buildtime conf : (. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Steve

Re: Chrome_options

Don Cupp
Try editing build/packages/chrome/bin/chrome , and removing the " around $@, or just putting whatever you want in that file.

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 1:33 PM, Steve Stromberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[hidden email] writes:
>Maybe you could try single quotes within the double quotes, ex:
>
>SESSION_1_CHROME_OPTIONS="--host-rules='MAP * xxx.xxx.com, EXCLUDE
>aaa.aaa.com, EXCLUDE bbb.bbb.com'"

I did think of that afterwards, and unfortunately it didn't work : (. Also
Don's suggestion of:

>You can escape the inner quotes, so that they are passed along like "yada
>yada \"blah\""

Also did not work. I can confirm that the command line works, as I have
run this from the terminal on the dev station:

chrome --kiosk --host-rules='MAP * xxx.xxx.com, EXCLUDE aaa.aaa.com,
EXCLUDE bbb.bbb.com' https://xxx.xxx.com

This gives me the exact behaviour that I am looking for from chrome. I can
use single or double quotes there and it works great, just not when
entered in the buildtime conf : (. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Steve

Re: Chrome_options

Stephen Welch
On 24/06/2015 21:33, Steve Stromberg wrote:
> Also did not work. I can confirm that the command line works, as I have
> run this from the terminal on the dev station:
>
> chrome --kiosk --host-rules='MAP * xxx.xxx.com, EXCLUDE aaa.aaa.com,
> EXCLUDE bbb.bbb.com'https://xxx.xxx.com
>
> This gives me the exact behaviour that I am looking for from chrome. I can
> use single or double quotes there and it works great, just not when
> entered in the buildtime conf : (. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Hi Steve :-)

Did you get this working through build.conf?

I have 2 sites that I want to allow access to and I have a chrome
session for each site so it's just a shortcut on the desktop.

The issue is the kids can create another tab or type in a URL and they
are way onto the wilds of the internet.

Stephen

Re: Chrome_options

Steve Stromberg
[hidden email] writes:
>Hi Steve :-)
>
>Did you get this working through build.conf?
>
>I have 2 sites that I want to allow access to and I have a chrome
>session for each site so it's just a shortcut on the desktop.
>
>The issue is the kids can create another tab or type in a URL and they
>are way onto the wilds of the internet.

Hi Stephen,

I just got back into fiddling with this and the best way to modify chrome
behaviour seems to be with policies. Here are two useful links to working
with chrome policies under linux:

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/linux-quick-start

And

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3

The path to add your json file would be on the build machine under:

thinstation/ts/build/packages/chrome/etc/opt/chrome/policies/managed

Sorry if this is a bit late to help you.

Re: Chrome_options

Stephen Welch-2
On 23/10/2015 00:17, Steve Stromberg wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I just got back into fiddling with this and the best way to modify chrome
> behaviour seems to be with policies. Here are two useful links to working
> with chrome policies under linux:
>
> https://www.chromium.org/administrators/linux-quick-start
>
> And
>
> https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3
>
> The path to add your json file would be on the build machine under:
>
> thinstation/ts/build/packages/chrome/etc/opt/chrome/policies/managed
>
> Sorry if this is a bit late to help you.

That's great Steve - Thanks.

Its still on the list of things to do.

I will have a look at it.  Got lots on though so don't expect an answer
anytime soon!!

A big THANK YOU for coming back with the info though :-)

Stephen