Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

12
Udo

Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Udo
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Michael K-2
Responses regarding Citrix have been limited, so I'm wondering if we don't have many developers left using it. The extent to which I can try is the citrixcloud demo.

You can prepopulate the storebrowse with an ica session type with title set to what you want it to display as and server set to the full path. In your case https://.../Citrix/...  In the demo server, the patch for me is to a config.xml. I got it by manually entering the short path (https://demo.citrixcloud.net) and checking the store browser for what it resolved to. You probably want to set icon to off.

Otherwise, there's no additional functionality for configuring the Citrix 13.x store browser via the configuration files, such as saving your applications. For anything more complicated, copying parts of the ~/.ICAClient directory may be necessary.

The easiest way to add selfservice to the desktop is to modify packages/ica/lib/menu/ica-wfc and removing nodesktop if it's there. You can also add your own lib/menu file or make an ica_wfc session in your thinstation.conf without a server.

- michael

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Udo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I need some help configuring TS for use with citrix receiver 13.1 to
connect to Xen Desktop 7.

On some debian client I use "storebrowse -a <xen-url>" to configure it.
Calling "selfservice" then brings up the citrix window as expected and
connects to the site.

So I think, I will need this pre-configuration on a Thinstation also.
But how to do this?
The entry created by storebrowse is an url ending
at '../Citrix/Store/discovery', followed by 'Store Service' and a Number,
f.i. '3492976367'
Does it need this preconfiguration before running build?
And: is the above number unique? Or does this depend on user and/or machine
I use?

The next question is: how to start the new client to connect to the site?
Under etc/init.d (or rc5.d) just ica.init is placed, which still seems to
work with ica files.
Which binary should be called to open the connection? Is it "selfservice"?
If so - how to place it at the desktop?

Is there anybody who can bring some light into the dark ... ?

Thanks in advance.

Udo

Udo

Udo

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Udo,

I would not go that far and draw that dire of a conclusion. Anything the selfservice can do, it can be done in Thinstation. The only part that is missing is configuring the details via thinstation.conf. At the moment, the customization has to be done more directly via the various XML files.

Hopefully with some details of what people want, there's probably someone here who'd be able to get the settings into a thinstation.conf, much in the same way that the appsrv.ini file has been created before.

- michael

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Udo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael K <ts.michaelk@...> writes:

don't have many developers left using it. The extent to which I can try is
the citrixcloud demo.
> You can prepopulate the storebrowse with an ica session type with title
set to what you want it to display as and server set to the full path. In
your case https://.../Citrix/...  In the demo server, the patch for me is
to a config.xml. I got it by manually entering the short path
(https://demo.citrixcloud.net) and checking the store browser for what it
resolved to. You probably want to set icon to off.

> Otherwise, there's no additional functionality for configuring the Citrix
13.x store browser via the configuration files, such as saving your
applications. For anything more complicated, copying parts of the
~/.ICAClient directory may be necessary.

> The easiest way to add selfservice to the desktop is to modify
packages/ica/lib/menu/ica-wfc and removing nodesktop if it's there. You can
also add your own lib/menu file or make an ica_wfc session in your
thinstation.conf without a server.

> - michael
>

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Udo <udo.buechner-
EcGxh6KpiiYvEn/[hidden email]> wrote:Hello,
> I need some help configuring TS for use with citrix receiver 13.1 to
> connect to Xen Desktop 7.
> On some debian client I use "storebrowse -a <xen-url>" to configure it.
> Calling "selfservice" then brings up the citrix window as expected and
> connects to the site.
> So I think, I will need this pre-configuration on a Thinstation also.
> But how to do this?
> The entry created by storebrowse is an url ending
> at '../Citrix/Store/discovery', followed by 'Store Service' and a Number,
> f.i. '3492976367'
> Does it need this preconfiguration before running build?
> And: is the above number unique? Or does this depend on user and/or
machine
> I use?
> The next question is: how to start the new client to connect to the site?
> Under etc/init.d (or rc5.d) just ica.init is placed, which still seems to
> work with ica files.
> Which binary should be called to open the connection? Is it "selfservice"?
> If so - how to place it at the desktop?
> Is there anybody who can bring some light into the dark ... ?
> Thanks in advance.
> Udo
----

Michael,

thanks for Your response.
To get You right: this sounds to me like a dead end for the citrix support
at thinstation ...? (At least for the usage we knew until now.)

Currrently we use more than 300 stations with Citrix 4.5.
We have to migrate to Xen Desktop 7, the estimated deadline will be in the
middle of 2016.
At the moment our users connect to various citrix sessions at the farm,
depending on the software they need (main difference is the use of MS
Office vs. OpenOffice) and some special details.
Our users are accustomed to click on one icon and get connected to their
special session. This ease of use is absolutely important to us.

Now it seems, Thinstation will not be able to ensure this functionalities
with the new storefront services ...?

Could You please give a statement regarding this?

It is very important to me to know the facts or limitations early enough,
because the worst case requires massive hardware replacements.

Best regards,

Udo

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

There's a link for /bin/selfservice to /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/selfservice. Unless you changed the installation path for the Citrix install, I don't see how it wouldn't work. I just tested myself to make sure.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Udo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael K <ts.michaelk@...> writes:

> The easiest way to add selfservice to the desktop is to modify
packages/ica/lib/menu/ica-wfc and removing nodesktop if it's there. You can
also add your own lib/menu file or make an ica_wfc session in your
thinstation.conf without a server.

> - michael

I forgot to mention: this I tried before, but I got a message "selfservice
not found". So there was no chance for further testing...

Rgds.

Udo

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Natxo Asenjo

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Udo <[hidden email]> wrote:

To get You right: this sounds to me like a dead end for the citrix support
at thinstation ...? (At least for the usage we knew until now.)

Currrently we use more than 300 stations with Citrix 4.5.
We have to migrate to Xen Desktop 7, the estimated deadline will be in the
middle of 2016.
At the moment our users connect to various citrix sessions at the farm,
depending on the software they need (main difference is the use of MS
Office vs. OpenOffice) and some special details.
Our users are accustomed to click on one icon and get connected to their
special session. This ease of use is absolutely important to us.

Now it seems, Thinstation will not be able to ensure this functionalities
with the new storefront services ...?

we do not use xen desktop but xenapp (6.5, iirc, not at work so cannot check).

For what it's worth, we launch firefox to the storefront services and our users log in to the portal url  and get the apps/desktop they may start. Could not be simpler.

It works perfectly with thinstation.

I may be misunderstaning how this is not going to work with storefront services, is there not going to be a web portal any more?

--
regards,
natxo

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Michael K-2
I believe Udo's questions are with regards to fine tuning the selfservice application which is an alternative to using the web browser to access the storefront. On a basic level both the web browser and selfservice (the new Citrix Receiver) work in much the same way, as the latter is basically a web browser too.

The v12 and earlier Citrix Receiver let you configure and customize the appsrv.ini which controlled your direct connections. You could configure this as well through thinstation.conf.

The v13 selfservice Citrix Receiver lets you customize things like your favorite applications beyond just configuring the storefront. I don't believe this is an option if you use the web browser to connect to the storefront instead. selfservice keeps track of your settings in XML files. At the moment, you cannot using thinstation.conf configuration files to pre-configure these settings, only the server address for the storefront to use in selfservice. Someone would need to figure out the available options and write code to generate XML from settings in a Thinstation configuration file.

Right now, Thinstation can and will continue access the storefront using either a web browser or selfservice. Using Thinstation configuration files, you can configure and make icons that launch either as well.

Udo

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Michael K-2
Yes, there is a mistake in TS 6.0. There is a wfcmgr link in packages/ica/build/extra/bin that should have been replaced by the selfservice link.

icewm does not provide desktop icons. You need idesk. I don't know if idesk works in TS 6. Also, make sure that the menu file in build/extra isn't overwriting the one in the package.

sparkasse.de> wrote:Michael K <ts.michaelk <at> ...> writes:

> ....> The easiest way to add selfservice to the desktop is to modify
> packages/ica/lib/menu/ica-wfc and removing nodesktop if it's there. You
can

Hello Michael,

I checked it twice: there is no link /bin/selfservice
to /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/selfservice.

I configured a Session for ica_wfc this way:

SESSION_11_TYPE=ica_wfc
SESSION_11_TITLE='ica Manager'
SESSION_11_ICON=ON
SESSION_11_ICA_TITLE='ica_wfc'

but at the start I get "Application ica_wfc failed with an error (127).
The Command Log says:

"Running fullscreen ica_wfc
/etc/init.d/ica_wfc: eval: line1: selfservice: not found"

Additional I modified packages/ica/lib/menu/ica-wfc

from

package="ica_wfc"; needs="ica"; title="Citrix Receiver"; command="pkg
window ica_wfc"; menu="Connectivity"; nodesktop="true"

package="ica_wfc"; needs="ica"; title="Citrix Receiver"; command="pkg
window ica_wfc"; menu="Connectivity"

but no icon appeared at the desktop.
(Window manager is ICEWM)

Any suggestions?

(Possibly important: I use for testing TS 6.0 unstable, because Don told me
a few months ago that it is nearly close to stable. Could there be a
correlation?)

Best regards.

Udo

Udo

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Michael K-2
build/extra only gets copied down when receiver is unpackaged.
copy ica/build/extra/bin/selfservice to ica/bin

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Udo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael K <ts.michaelk@...> writes:

> Yes, there is a mistake in TS 6.0. There is a wfcmgr link in
packages/ica/build/extra/bin that should have been replaced by the
selfservice link.

Hello Michael,

first: thanks for Your very quick responses!

To fix the problem I created a link under packages/ica/build/extra/bin
via "ln -s /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/selfservice selfservice".

After that it looked like this:

[root@TS_chroot]/ts/6.0/packages/ica/build/extra/bin# ls -l
total 20
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18616 Oct 17 00:00 logger
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    33 Jan  8 13:19 selfservice -
> /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/selfservice
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    28 Oct 17 00:00 wfcmgr -
> /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/wfcmgr
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    27 Oct 17 00:00 wfica -
> /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/wfica

But the error remains the same.
I found the links wfcmgr and wfica (to /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/wfcmgr
und /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/wfica) at TS live under /lib/bin/ and expexted
the new created link selfservice also to be there. But: nothing.

Should it be there? If so - what did I wrong?

Best Regards

Udo

Udo

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Michael K-2
The instructions you found are wrong or you mixed them up.

Certificates are loaded into Firefox using certutil or by grabbing the database from a Firefox instance after installing it. In either case, you'll have your own database of cert8/key3.db to manage.

For Citrix itself, you want the certificate wherever they go in /etc/ssl with the others as per ca-bundle. You probably also want to append to ca-bundle.crt.

I recommend making a package with your Firefox certificate store and your SSL store with a build/finalize script that appends your certificate to ca-bundle.crt.

There's a 4th store for Java - don't worry about it unless you actually need it.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Udo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael K <ts.michaelk@...> writes:

> Yes, there is a mistake in TS 6.0. There is a wfcmgr link in
packages/ica/build/extra/bin that should have been replaced by the
selfservice link.

... and, following the instructions of an older posting I tried to import
the certificate of our ca into the firefox configuration to test the access
via browser.
I copied our certificate as pem and as renamed as crt into
packages/firefox/etc/TS.default, but it will not work, the connection is
untrusted as before.

Did I forgot something?

(I also did a ./packages/ca-bundle/build/install from the /build folder ...)

Rgds.

Udo

Udo

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Don Cupp
Yes......6.0.......what will I do with you?

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:21 AM, Udo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Michael K <[hidden email]> writes:

> The instructions you found are wrong or you mixed them up.
> Certificates are loaded into Firefox using certutil or by grabbing the
database from a Firefox instance after installing it. In either case,
you'll have your own database of cert8/key3.db to manage.

> For Citrix itself, you want the certificate wherever they go in /etc/ssl
with the others as per ca-bundle. You probably also want to append to ca-
bundle.crt.

> I recommend making a package with your Firefox certificate store and your
SSL store with a build/finalize script that appends your certificate to ca-
bundle.crt.

Michael,

regarding selfservice:
On my debian desktop I added the certificate for use with selfservice by
copying it to $ICAROOT/keystore/cacerts an then running
$ICAROOT/util/ctx_rehash.
This works and so that's what I also did on my TS build environment (the
file is saved at packages/ica/opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts), and
selfservice on TS now uses the certificate and gets a secure connection to
the storefront server.
So this works basically, and the login at the server is also successfull.
(But the buttons of the login prompt were flickering to the left and the
right, there seems a problem.)
Then, after succesfull login, ica_wfc fails with error 139, in detail this
shows errors by selfservice "GLibCritical ** source ID 60 was not found
when attempting to remove it" and a few errors "selfservice:6124: GdkPixbuf-
CRITICAL ...."

regarding firefox:
at the debian desktop I use for testing I imported the CA certfile to
firefox by loading the certificate file to the certificate manager.
How can I do this for firefox on TS?
"certutil" is absolutely new to me, where can I get instructions for this?

(For additional explanation: I created the certfiles (for the ca and the
machine certificate that is used by the citrix server) with "tiny ca".)

Does it make sense to test further on TS5.3-stable, to avoid collisions
with unsolved problems at 6.0-unstable... ?

Best regards and many thanks again,

Udo

Udo

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Don Cupp
Anything out of 6.0 that actually worked, has been back-ported to 5.x, ala 5.3. In some ways, 5.3 is actually newer than 6.0, with xorg the kernel and mesa all less than a month old. I keep 6.0 around because it has a much newer core, and so it is good for testing core modifications and wild hair ideas, but I wouldn't put it into production.

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:40 AM, Udo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Don Cupp <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yes......6.0.......what will I do with you?
>

>      On Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:21 AM, Udo <udo.buechner-
EcGxh6KpiiYvEn/[hidden email]> wrote:

... just to make sure.

It seems there are a few (f.i. graphical) issues, and also the differences
regarding citrix between 5.3 and 6.o Michael talked about a few posts ago.

I dont want to bother someone with unneccessary tries at 6.0, if 5.3 makes
more sense at the moment ...

Best Regards,

Udo

Re: Citrix Receiver 13.1 and Xen Desktop 7

Udo -

You can do the same thing you did in Debian in a running Thinstation. In your home directory there's the .mozilla/firefox/TS.default which contains a cert8.db and key3.db. You just need to copy those out and put them in etc/TS.default. FWIW, there's shouldn't be any reason you can't also copy the files from Debian, as long as they're similar generation Firefox.

certutil is hard to use. I don't remember it off the top of my head, so I'll recommend the above steps.

What you did for the Citrix store makes sense. In my environment, I removed the ICA cacerts and linked it to /etc/ssl/certs so any generally accepted CA from ca-bundle is accepted.

Remember that changes you make in packages/ica such as your certs in the keystore will get deleted if you reset your environment (to do an update for example). That's why I recommend making your own package to store those pieces.

In other words, make a packages/mystuff/opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/certs and copy the file and its hash link there.

- michael

Udo