Connect to VMware view

Sahar Nassif

Dears,

I deployed Devstaion VM and configured to act as tftp and PXE server

Below what what I have done :

- I deployed Devstaion appliance using Thinstation-5.4 (TS-5.4.2-Installer-0503.iso) to act as TFTP server and PXE server.

- Configured my DHCP server (windows 2008 R2) with option 66 and 67 with IP address of my TFTP Server and the pxelinux.0 option.

- configured Thinstation.conf.runtime to add vmview and rdesktop packages and add sessions for both

-Ran ./build

-Deployed diskless VM and configured to boot from network and it pulled the image from TFTP server and started successfully.

-vmview and rdesktop session icons appeared correctly but always get errors when I try to connect using vmview client.

My Thinstation.conf as below

SESSION_1_TITLE=MYVDI

SESSION_1_TYPE=VMVIEW

SESSION_1_ICON=ON

SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=OFF

SESSION_1_VMVIEW_SERVERURL=192.168.X.X

SESSION_1_DOMAINNAME=DOMAIN.LAB

Log at client side as below

Could anyone help me and tell me what I am missing?!

Thanks in advance

Re: Connect to VMware view

Michael K-2
This is what happens when you use the system OpenSSL instead of the one provided in the VMware package.
This was fixed recently in Thinstation, but the existing DevStation might be outdated.
The fix was to not remove the Horizon View version of OpenSSL and use the provided run script (slightly patched for BusyBox)

Also, looks like you're running an older version of VMware Horizon View Client.  New ones use OpenSSL 1.0.2.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Sahar Nassif <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your time and explanation

Actually I powered of the Devstation VM and deployed another PXE/TFTP server (ubuntu 14.04) and installed Thinstation 5.4

(git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/Thinstation/thinstation.git -b 5.4-Stable)

I can login successfully using rdesktop or HTML5 but no success with view client and getting the same error,

Could you please tell me if I can disable system OpenSSL?

Or any work around to rely only on SSL provided with VMware client

Re: Connect to VMware view

Byron White

Hi Michael, is there a way of specifying which version of OpenSSL to use?  I also ran into the same problem as Sahar (and many others) and was the reason I decided to try upgrading the view client to 3.5.  Either that, or could you provide a copy of a working thinstation.conf.buildtime for using Horizon View Client 3.5?  In another thread I’ve asked if anyone knows the correct set of parameters to get 3.5 to work automatically.

Thanks,

Byron White

Re: Connect to VMware view

Michael K-2
The steps to fix are complicated.
In the build/install file, you have to not remove the openssl libraries.  If you're going to use 3.5 instead of 3.2, you also have to make links from openssl 1.0.2 to openssl 1.0.1
VMware doesn't look for these libraries and needs LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, but you can only do this when running VMware, or other things crash instead.  You might be able to do this in bin/run_vmview.
However, VMware added a script in new versions that sets up the environment.  In order to use it, I had to make a bunch of changes to handle all the redirection components that was being done manually for older versions.  Also, the virtual printing script uses some commands that aren't available in Thinstation.

Or just use master.  It's not any more or less stable than the 5.4-stable branch.