DHCP client failing

Christof Böckler-2
Hi,

I’m running lots of TS 5.5 thin clients in a network with a Windows
2008R2 DHCP server.

If I start up 32 clients at about the same time (within 5 seconds),
about one-third of them does not pick up an IP address although the DHCP
server shows a DHCP lease for each of them.

On each client I see the udhcpc discover message, folowed by three
select messages (all with a sane IP address). Then it says “No lease,
forking to background.”

After that, loading the configuration files over the network obviously
failes and the client comes to a halt (I set “param haltonerror true” in
build.conf). If I start each of these clients one by one there is no
problem at all.

Any ideas and suggestions? (Starting each of the 32 clients one after
the other is no real option to me.) Is it a DHCP timeout issue?

Greetings,
Christof

Re: DHCP client failing

Don Cupp
Yes. DHCP can be controlled with

NET_DHCP_TIMEOUT
NET_DHCP_RETRY

both are set to 3, it tries three times and waits three seconds each try.