Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

Alon
Hello,

How can i disble right click inside xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

the following disables right click everywhere :

Bash script:
#!/bin/bash

case $1 in
  off)
    /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "pointer = default"
    /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 117 = Menu"
  ;;
  *)
    /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 32 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 3"
    /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 117 ="
  ;;
esac

Thank you,

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

Alon
Been working hard customizing my build, i got to the point where i have a custom "start" icon, a custom "about" that shows MAC , "Restart" and "shutdown" in start menu, got rid of all the start-menu entries volume icon and clock.

what is left is to get rid of the entries when mouse right click, change the mouse cursor to a bigger size (need this for old people) and get rid of the popup info when mouse hoover.

there is a post in xfce.org :
"If you want to disable the right click menu in xfdesktop you'll need to compile it with ./configure --disable-desktop-menu"

I don't know how to do that.

another post :
"
1. Copy ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml to /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml

2. Edit  /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

    Change this: <channel name="xfce4-panel" version="1.0">

    To this: <channel name="xfce4-panel" version="1.0" locked="*" unlocked="root">

After this the panel is locked.

But the same process for the desktop doesn't works.....
"

I tried that but seems to have no effect.

Im using packages: xfwm4, thunar, gtk-2.0 and icons-gnome

I need this build to be easy to use for old people, with a custom "about" and a cople of rdesktop sessions with some xmodmap customizations.

what would you suggest?

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

You can remove the xfwm desktop binary from /bin of the xfwm4 package.

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

FredGreg
I'm using freerdp and what i did was use xmodmap to disable right click in xfwm4 on start then in dialog.functions before launching the rdp connection i send a xmodmap to enable the right click mouse button.   When the connection close, again in dialog.functions, i disable the right click button(using the status variable since when you close a connection in freerdp it send an error msg).

dialog.functions is in the base package /build/package/base/etc/dialog.functions

I have try to compile xfdesktop with the ./configure --disable-desktop-menu.  the copied the binary but it does not seem to work with xfce 4.12.

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

xateesix
Hello all,

First of the plea to vanity.... Awesome little OS you have put together here Don!

I am also interested in disabling right click in the desktop.

The team is wanting to keep the desktop and menus in place for functions like Shutdown, restart and "About" removing the binary doesn't seem like a good solution.

It would also be nice to be able to edit the "about" dialog to contain our internal support info.

Thank you
John

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

FredGreg
Hi,

You can modify the "About" info in the file /build/packages/messagebox/bin/about
it's a gtkdialog file.

I disabled the right click menu using xmodmap (see my post above) but i cant seem to find a way to disable shift-leftclick(on icon or desktop)  which bring back the desktop menu or launcher menu.

Since i cant disable the shift key with xmodmap which might be needed by user to enter their password, i am stuck..

Anyone with an idea ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

Alon
Hello,

I'm also interested in compiling xfdesktop with the ./configure --disable-desktop-menu.

Seems that there are many people that want a combination of Rdp with xfwm4 and Right Click disabled or at least customized entries. can someone give me a hint on this ?

Thank you.

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

FredGreg
Hi,

I found a solution, since compiling with configure -disable-desktop-menu did not make any change to the right click.

You need modify the source code for xfdesktop which you can download here :

http://archive.xfce.org/xfce/4.12/src/

Search in the src folder for file containing "button ==3".  To do so use grep "button ==3"

After that modify each file to replace button ==3 by button ==4

you can also disable shift + left click which normally make the menu appear by replacing "button == 1 && (evt->state & GDK_SHIFT_MASK" with button == 4 && (evt->state & GDK_SHIFT_MASK

you can also replace button ==2 with button ==4 which would remove the midle click menu.

.configure
make
then copy src/xfdesktop to the /packages/xfwm4/bin

You can do the same thing to disable the right click on the task bar by modifying the source code of xfce4-panel.

dont forget to copy the newly created library file libxfce4panel-1.0.so.4.0.0 for it to work.

Here is the compiled binary for xdesktop and xfce4-panel

NoRightClick.tar

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

Don Cupp
Excellent hacking :)

<http://thinstation.4464.n7.nabble.com/file/n25697/NoRightClick.tar

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

Alon
Thanks Fred i will try it soon.

Don, Could be possible to offer it as a package?, i remember seen a couple of requests for this.

Thank you all.

Re: Disable mouse Right click in xfwm4 but not in rdesktop?

allen
Thanks very much! I make it by follow your solutions