Dual Screen in extented mode

laer web
Hi,
I use a matrox G450 dual screen for my thinstations,
with 2 philips monitors. I would like to use them in
dual screen mode, in "extended desktop" = with 1 ICA
session shared on the 2 monitors, for use the largest
screen resolution possibility... I use the latest
version : thinstation-2.1.1.
I'm not sure that could work... Somebody can confirm
me ?

Secondary, I would like to know how I can get it to
work :
Do I have to manually edit the XF86Config like
describe in :
ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/linux/2005/readme_mgadriver_4_2_02.txt

or can I just edit the thinstation.conf.user file,
with an option that I don't know ?

I have seen in the archive that someone had the same
problem "From: stefan <comprende@gm...>  dualhead +
ica
2004-11-17 01:03"
But I have not found the solution. For the moment, I
just have a dual display, with screen 1 = screen 2.

thx for your help, and please excuse me for my
english.

Gildas

SV: Dual Screen in extented mode

Klaus Bech Jensen
laer web <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I use a matrox G450 dual screen for my thinstations,
> with 2 philips monitors. I would like to use them in
> dual screen mode, in "extended desktop" = with 1 ICA
> session shared on the 2 monitors, for use the largest
> screen resolution possibility... I use the latest
> version : thinstation-2.1.1.
> I'm not sure that could work... Somebody can confirm me ?
>
> Secondary, I would like to know how I can get it to work :
> Do I have to manually edit the XF86Config like
> describe in :
> ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/linux/2005/readme_mgadriv
> er_4_2_02.txt

> or can I just edit the thinstation.conf.user file,
> with an option that I don't know ?

> I have seen in the archive that someone had the same
> problem "From: stefan <comprende@gm...>  dualhead +
> ica
> 2004-11-17 01:03"
> But I have not found the solution. For the moment, I
> just have a dual display, with screen 1 = screen 2.

> thx for your help, and please excuse me for my
> english.

I tried the same thing and got the mirrored desktop just like you. I then pulled out the Matrox card and installed 2 identical nvidia tnt2 m64 pci cards in the computer, and then everything worked like I wanted it to. I never bothered with the Matrox card for "large screen" again (I use the card for education purposes now - it's working as a "teacher's PC" in our education room now with a normal monitor and an LCD projector attached).

Regards

Klaus Bech Jensen
IT-koordinator
Aaaskov Kommune
Tlf.: 99 99 23 00

RE: SV: Dual Screen in extented mode

laer web
Thx for your help Klaus,
but unfortunately, for the moment, I have more than 80
pcs with this expensive card :D (and others without).
At this time, they are in Windows 2000, and I fight
for replace them with a Linux solution (thinstation
appears to be the best...).
So, I can't change the video card...
I have seen in the readme page of matrox linux drivers
than we can configure X for dual screen with this
card, but I don't known if we can do with
thinstation...

Somebody has others ideas ?

--- Klaus Bech Jensen <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> laer web <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I use a matrox G450 dual screen for my
> thinstations,
> > with 2 philips monitors. I would like to use them
> in
> > dual screen mode, in "extended desktop" = with 1
> ICA
> > session shared on the 2 monitors, for use the
> largest
> > screen resolution possibility... I use the latest
> > version : thinstation-2.1.1.
> > I'm not sure that could work... Somebody can
> confirm me ?
> >
> > Secondary, I would like to know how I can get it
> to work :
> > Do I have to manually edit the XF86Config like
> > describe in :

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/linux/2005/readme_mgadriv

> > er_4_2_02.txt
>
> > or can I just edit the thinstation.conf.user file,
> > with an option that I don't know ?
>
> > I have seen in the archive that someone had the
> same
> > problem "From: stefan <comprende@gm...>  dualhead
> +
> > ica
> > 2004-11-17 01:03"
> > But I have not found the solution. For the moment,
> > just have a dual display, with screen 1 = screen
> 2.
>
> > thx for your help, and please excuse me for my
> > english.
>
> I tried the same thing and got the mirrored desktop
> just like you. I then pulled out the Matrox card and
> installed 2 identical nvidia tnt2 m64 pci cards in
> the computer, and then everything worked like I
> wanted it to. I never bothered with the Matrox card
> for "large screen" again (I use the card for
> education purposes now - it's working as a
> "teacher's PC" in our education room now with a
> normal monitor and an LCD projector attached).
>
> Regards
>
> Klaus Bech Jensen
> IT-koordinator
> Aaaskov Kommune
> Tlf.: 99 99 23 00

RE: SV: Dual Screen in extented mode

TrevorB
On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 13:18 +0200, laer web wrote:

> Thx for your help Klaus,
> but unfortunately, for the moment, I have more than 80
> pcs with this expensive card :D (and others without).
> At this time, they are in Windows 2000, and I fight
> for replace them with a Linux solution (thinstation
> appears to be the best...).
> So, I can't change the video card...
> I have seen in the readme page of matrox linux drivers
> than we can configure X for dual screen with this
> card, but I don't known if we can do with
> thinstation...
>
> Somebody has others ideas ?

Have you tried

X_DRIVER_OPTION1="Xinerama"

Trevor B

RE: SV: Dual Screen in extented mode

laer web
Hi Trevor,
First, thx for your help. No, I didn't known this
option, and it was not in my thinstation.conf.user 's
file. Do I have to add this parameters in the "X
Server" section of the thinstation.conf.user file ?

--- Trevor Batley <[hidden email]>

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 14:40 +0200, laer web wrote:
> Hi Trevor,
> First, thx for your help. No, I didn't known this
> option, and it was not in my thinstation.conf.user 's
> file. Do I have to add this parameters in the "X
> Server" section of the thinstation.conf.user file ?

It is in the thinstation.conf.example for 2.0.2, 2.1 & 2.2 (at least).
Not sure about early 2.0 as I haven't used that for as long as I can
remember (and don't have a local copy).

You can add it anywhere in your thinstation.conf<whatevere> file, but it
is normally just after the SCREEN options.

Trevor B