First time post - RDP v8 on ThinStation / FreeRDP?

First time post - RDP v8 on ThinStation / FreeRDP?

Ryan Blakeslee
Good Morning,

This is my first post here to the list, although I have used ThinStation before many years ago.  I have searched all over the Internet to try and find a solid answer to my question, but have so far been unsuccessful.

I am seeking to use ThinStation / FreeRDP for a customer (and all future customers) in order to move them to a hosted virtual desktop environment.  I've been doing extensive performance testing, and the different between older versions of RDP versus RDP 8 is phenomenal, especially with UDP enabled!  With RDP 8, across a WAN connection back to my data center, I am able to achieve near native performance.

However, my ultimate goal is to move away from local installs of Windows so that I can manage terminal servers and the end-user clients just become thin-clients.  Perfect for ThinStation / FreeRDP !

All that being said, I can not find a definitive answer if RDP 8 is supported in ThinStation / FreeRDP.  Some things I have read alluded to the fact that it is not, but it's just not crystal clear to me.  So the purpose of my post is to ask:

1. Does ThinStation / FreeRDP  support RDP 8?

2. If not, will it or is there a time frame for when it will be avail?

3. If not, what are my alternatives for RDP 8 via Linux?  Or am I force to use local installs of Windows just to get RDP 8?

Important to note that RDP 8 is a requirement for my project -- RDP 7 and below is sub-par and the performance would not be acceptable to customers.

Thank you very much in advance!

Re: First time post - RDP v8 on ThinStation / FreeRDP?

thinstation-general mailing list
Ryan,

Yeah, it's clear as mud what RDP 8 actually is above 7 besides a new compression level. ThinStation supports FreeRDP. Whatever is supported by FreeRDP would be supported by the combination. I see that FreeRDP has support for multimedia media redirection FreeRDP/FreeRDP

as well as the compression options available in Server 2008 R2 and Server 2012. Perhaps if there were some technical requirements