Quantcast

Help Needed Network-sharing a thin-client printer ??

Help Needed Network-sharing a thin-client printer ??

DK-2
Hi all,

I have an IBM Netvista N2200 Thin Client with a 'Debian Linux OS' running on
the Flash Card (this distro: http://linux-2200.berlios.de )

I have a 'Xerox DocuPrint P8ex' Laser Printer connected to the Thin Clients
'USB Port'

I can NOT seem to Print to this USB Printer either directly from the command
prompt OR via RDP connected to Windows Server 2003 & using TCP printing as in
the HowTo-NetBoot.txt
(works fine if printer connected to a Windows Box)

I have tried:
cat a > /dev/usblp0  - & I got NO error & NO printing
cat a > /dev/usb  - & I got NO error & NO printing
cat a > /dev/usb1  - & I got NO error & NO printing
cat a > /dev/usb3  - & I got NO error & NO printing

I also tried: -r printer:usb3="Xerox DocuPrint P8ex"
output: PRINTER PRN1 to usb3 driver Xerox Douc P8ex
& NO Printing

Doing a  modprobe printer outputs nothing

I have a directory /dev/usb/ but NO /dev/printer/

Do I need to install a driver or something

I am a Linux noob, so ANY help is greatly appreciated

# dmesg | grep usb
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
host/usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 17:00:43 Mar  1 2005
host/usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
host/usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
host/usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc6e10000, IRQ 11
host/usb-ohci.c: usb-00:13.0, Compaq Computer Corporation ZFMicro Chipset USB
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: registered new driver hid
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan PDA
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan PDA - (prerenumeration)
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Belkin / Peracom / GoHubs USB
Serial Adapter
input0: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [04b3:3001] on usb1:2.0
input1: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [04b3:3001] on usb1:2.1
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x419/0x3201) is not claimed by any active
driver.

Re: Help Needed Network-sharing a thin-client printer ??

Mike Eriksen
On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, DK wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an IBM Netvista N2200 Thin Client with a 'Debian Linux OS' running on
> the Flash Card (this distro: http://linux-2200.berlios.de )

You are on the wrong list... This mailing list is for the Linux
distribution "Thinstation", which is a completely different beast.

Of course, now that you are here, visit thinstation.sf.net and see why
Thinstation is a superior product... :-)

Mike

> I have a 'Xerox DocuPrint P8ex' Laser Printer connected to the Thin Clients
> 'USB Port'
>
> I can NOT seem to Print to this USB Printer either directly from the command
> prompt OR via RDP connected to Windows Server 2003 & using TCP printing as in
> the HowTo-NetBoot.txt
> (works fine if printer connected to a Windows Box)
>
> I have tried:
> cat a > /dev/usblp0  - & I got NO error & NO printing
> cat a > /dev/usb  - & I got NO error & NO printing
> cat a > /dev/usb1  - & I got NO error & NO printing
> cat a > /dev/usb3  - & I got NO error & NO printing
>
> I also tried: -r printer:usb3="Xerox DocuPrint P8ex"
> output: PRINTER PRN1 to usb3 driver Xerox Douc P8ex
> & NO Printing
>
> Doing a  modprobe printer outputs nothing
>
> I have a directory /dev/usb/ but NO /dev/printer/
>
> Do I need to install a driver or something
>
> I am a Linux noob, so ANY help is greatly appreciated
>

> # dmesg | grep usb
> usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
> usb.c: registered new driver hub
> host/usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 17:00:43 Mar  1 2005
> host/usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
> host/usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
> host/usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc6e10000, IRQ 11
> host/usb-ohci.c: usb-00:13.0, Compaq Computer Corporation ZFMicro Chipset USB
> usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
> usb.c: registered new driver hid
> usb.c: registered new driver serial
> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
> usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan PDA
> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan PDA - (prerenumeration)
> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Belkin / Peracom / GoHubs USB
> Serial Adapter
> input0: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [04b3:3001] on usb1:2.0
> input1: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [04b3:3001] on usb1:2.1
> usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x419/0x3201) is not claimed by any active
> driver.

Thinstation FAQ maintainer
http://thinstation.sourceforge.net
- a light, full featured linux based thin client OS

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Mike Eriksen wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, DK wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have an IBM Netvista N2200 Thin Client with a 'Debian Linux OS' running
>> on
>> the Flash Card (this distro: http://linux-2200.berlios.de )
>

> You are on the wrong list... This mailing list is for the Linux distribution
> "Thinstation", which is a completely different beast.
>
> Of course, now that you are here, visit thinstation.sf.net and see why
> Thinstation is a superior product... :-)
>
> Mike

Oh. Trevor just informed me that you *are* trying to use Thinstation. I
couldn't read that from your most recent post. Sorry!

Mike

>> I have a 'Xerox DocuPrint P8ex' Laser Printer connected to the Thin
>> Clients
>> 'USB Port'
>>
>> I can NOT seem to Print to this USB Printer either directly from the
>> command
>> prompt OR via RDP connected to Windows Server 2003 & using TCP printing as
>> in
>> the HowTo-NetBoot.txt
>> (works fine if printer connected to a Windows Box)
>>
>> I have tried:
>> cat a > /dev/usblp0  - & I got NO error & NO printing
>> cat a > /dev/usb  - & I got NO error & NO printing
>> cat a > /dev/usb1  - & I got NO error & NO printing
>> cat a > /dev/usb3  - & I got NO error & NO printing
>>
>> I also tried: -r printer:usb3="Xerox DocuPrint P8ex"
>> output: PRINTER PRN1 to usb3 driver Xerox Douc P8ex
>> & NO Printing
>>
>> Doing a  modprobe printer outputs nothing
>>
>> I have a directory /dev/usb/ but NO /dev/printer/
>>
>> Do I need to install a driver or something
>>
>> I am a Linux noob, so ANY help is greatly appreciated
>>

>> # dmesg | grep usb
>> usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
>> usb.c: registered new driver hub
>> host/usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 17:00:43 Mar  1 2005
>> host/usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
>> host/usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
>> host/usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc6e10000, IRQ 11
>> host/usb-ohci.c: usb-00:13.0, Compaq Computer Corporation ZFMicro Chipset
>> USB
>> usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
>> usb.c: registered new driver hid
>> usb.c: registered new driver serial
>> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
>> usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
>> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan PDA
>> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan PDA -
>> (prerenumeration)
>> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Belkin / Peracom / GoHubs
>> USB
>> Serial Adapter
>> input0: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [04b3:3001] on usb1:2.0
>> input1: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [04b3:3001] on usb1:2.1
>> usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x419/0x3201) is not claimed by any active
>> driver.

> Thinstation FAQ maintainer
> http://thinstation.sourceforge.net
> - a light, full featured linux based thin client OS

Thinstation FAQ maintainer
http://thinstation.sourceforge.net
- a light, full featured linux based thin client OS

RE: Help Needed Network-sharing a thin-client printer ??

PF: Thinstation

> I have a 'Xerox DocuPrint P8ex' Laser Printer connected to
> the Thin Clients  'USB Port'

Many Xerox printers are "dumb" printers and require much of their
processing functionality to be provided through the driver.  I doubt
this printer is going to work without software from Xerox.

-Kevin