ICA Package install on Dev Environment

PaulP

Hey all,

I am really new to TS and just as new to Linux as a whole. To keep this message short I will say that after reading up on TS I decided to do a POC with it to setup some old machines as thin clients for use as part of our disaster recovery. For the POC I just enabled ICA and then ran ./build. The build failed at ICA stating it could not find the download. After googling around I saw that I needed to download and install the ICA client myself and place it in the Home/Install folder. The post I found pointing me to this solution was from 2012, and as such I found that I did not have a Home/Install. I poked around and found the Firefox installer that /build downloaded in the Thinstation/download folder. So I placed the ICA installer there. I ran the build file and the same error came up.

I am assuming I need to install the ICA package manually, but do not know how to do it, and really don’t know if I am using the correct version of ICA to work with the latest version of thinclient. (I downloaded the newest version of ICA from Citrix webseit. 13.3).

Any help in guiding me past this would be awesome.

My next step once this is resolved is to make a build iso with every driver so I can just POC this idea. Once I have that done I will move into trimming the image down to only what is needed.

Thank you,

Paul Porterfield

Data Processing Tech/Systems Administrator

First Bankers Trust Company, N.A.

505 N 24th St

Quincy, IL 62301

217.228.8003

[hidden email]

IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This transmission was sent from First Bankers Trust Company, N.A. and is intended for use of the addressee shown. It contains information that may be privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that the copying, use, or distribution of any information or materials transmitted herewith is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission by mistake, please destroy the original message and advise us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. REMINDER: Email sent through the Internet is not secure unless documented as such. Do not use unsecured email to send us confidential information such as account and or credit card numbers, change of address, PIN numbers or send time sensitive instructions.

Re: ICA Package install on Dev Environment

Martijn de Jongh
This post was updated on .

Re: ICA Package install on Dev Environment

PaulP
Thanks Martijn,

I was able to sus out the ICA error last night and get the ./Build to run without errors. I  tried to boot from the ISO it created, but got a kernel panic on bootup. I will do a ./Build --allmodules tonight and test load from there. I was hoping to use PXE but we have some thin clients that  have been known to randomly think they should PXE boot and the other Network Admins here are concerned it will confuse the end users if they are suddenly presented with a new login screen. So (for now at least) I will be using the cd/dvd option during the POC.

Are there any additional files (other than the iso) that need to be copied onto the cd? I haven't gotten that far in my reading, but thought I would go ahead and ask to save myself any confusion.

Thanks again for all the help.

Paul

Re: ICA Package install on Dev Environment

Martijn de Jongh
When the build makes the iso file its the only thing you need.

I use a iso 2 usb tool like Rufus, to make a bootable thinstation USB stick. After you can you can just overwrite the initrd file with a new one on the stick for further testing.

PXE is the easiest way to test and deploy. However you need some more infra changes. To isolate you can make a specific client reservation in your DHCP scope based on MAC address and set PXE\TFTP client options for 066 and 067. In this way you only get PXE boot settings on this particular MAC\Client. The rest of the scope is untouched.

Its also possible to install thinstation locally on the HDD. This boots the fastest (30-40 secs)(PXE 70 secs) If you want some instructions on this I can post some.

Have fun!

Re: ICA Package install on Dev Environment

PaulP
I figured it out. I was not uncommenting the "package extention" and "package extntion-x" in the build.conf file.  I was able to successfully boot into ThinStation and run "hwlister.sh". I copied the module.list and package.list back to the Dev VM and created a package for that model of PC. I then followed your post for configuring firefor and ICA. In your post you have it set to open Firefox at a fixed resolution. I will need it to open in full screen mode with multiple resolutions. Time to google around to learn how to do that.

I was also able to pull up my Citrix Store Front and login to a VD! Very exciting night for this Linux noob lol.

I plan to play around with images now like you have at the bottom of your post. Will take some tinkering to figure out the resolution and size images need to be.

Paul

Re: ICA Package install on Dev Environment

Martijn de Jongh
This post was updated on .
Yeah sounds familiar with the all modules buid :-) I will put it in my original post.

You can find all possible resolutions by loading the allmodules and a desktop session (like the live cd)  and then typing xrander in the cli

Different resolutions I do with a custom XRANDR_OPTIONS="--mode 1280x1024"  and SESSION_0_FIREFOX_OPTIONS="-width 1280 -height 1024" setting in the network conf file in the PXE boot location, specified per mac address like thinstation.conf-(mac address) . So the resolution is set per device. Per user or choosing during startup wasn't working for me (multiple sessions)

USE_XRANDR=true
XRANDR_OPTIONS="--output DisplayPort-0 --mode 1280x1024 --output DVI-0 --mode 1280x1024 --right-of DisplayPort-0"

Re: ICA Package install on Dev Environment

PaulP
Thanks! That will be a huge help!

One last bug I need to squash. The OS boots straight into Firefox and opens up the StoreFront site for our XenDesktop cluster which is working great except that the network card doesn't connect or 10 seconds after the browser has loaded. This is causing a page can not be displayed error until you wia the 10 sec and then click try again.

I am looking for a way to either prioritize the NIC and get it up and connected before the browser is loaded.

Re: ICA Package install on Dev Environment

PaulP
Everything seems to be working nice now. I am having some problems getting the resolution of firefox to work.  When I boot with the Allmodules disc and run xrandr from cli it tells me the monitor is currently running at 1440x900. So in thinstation.conf.buildtime I added.

SESSION_0_TYPE=firefox
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=On
SESSION_0_FIREFOX_OPTIONS="-width 1440 -height 900"
SESSION_0_FIREFOX_HOMEPAGE= xxx (xxx is replaced with the desired homepage)

Then when I boot the machine I am getting a black screen. If I remove the Options line from above then it boots up and Firefox opens, but only takes up 1/4 of the screen.

I figure my issue is that the desktop needs to be hardset to always boot in 1440x900.  I am currently testing out adding the following lines to the thinstation.conf.buildtime

USE_XRANDR=true
XRANDR_OPTIONS="--output DisplayPort-0 --mode 1440x900"

I am waiting for the iso to burn so I can test this. Incase this doesn't work is there another way or place to make this change?

Paul

[...]

Nope this didn't work. So far the only way I can get the OS to boot and Firefox to launch is if I remove the FF options for resolution and the XRANDR settings.

Is there a FF Option to just have it open in full screen so no matter what resolution the desktop is set to it will fill the whole window?

Paul

[...]

Yes (don't recall it exactly), but you need a Wm in session 0 for Firefox to go fullscreen. Should show up in google.

Re: ICA Package install on Dev Environment

Martijn de Jongh
So maybe first try without the options and then login to your xendesktop. Then in your xd vm check your display setting. This is the resolution you are default working with. This should be in the options line.

Are you using the firefox kiosk package already? You can disable this also in your build.conf for further testing (other url's)

try another resolution like 1024x768 in options and xrandr for testing.

(try resetting the monitor to factory default)