INITRD OK then black screen, no console

FredGreg
This post was updated on .
Hi, I'm having a problem with a new version of HP Prodesk  600 SFF G2 (latest generation).

Upon booting from a usb key or hard drive all i see is Loading vmlinuz OK, Loading INITRD ok then on the next line a blinking cursor blink for about 3 second then the screen goes black as if i had no device is connected to the screen either using VGA or DisplayPort.

I change the following setting in the bios to Enable legacy boot and Disable secure boot.

I also did try to make change to syslinux.cfg,  disabling the Acpi Lacpi to no avail.

Also, some google search lead me to believe that it could take as long as 30 minutes to boot and then i would get access to DMESG, etc. but i tried that and after a night letting it trying to boot i still got only a black screen.

Anybody can help me with what to do next ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: INITRD OK then black screen, no console

Андрій Варцаб'юк
Hi. Try use master branch with kernel 4.10 or higher

Hi, I'm having a problem with a new version of HP Prodesk  600 SFF G2 (latest
generation).

Upon booting from a usb key or hard drive all i see is Loading vmlinuz OK,
second the a black screen as if i had no device connected to the screen
either using VGA or DisplayPort.

I change the following setting in the bios to Enable legacy boot and Disable
secure boot.

I also did try to make change to syslinux.cfg,  disabling the Acpi Lacpi to
no avail.

Also, some google search lead me to believe that it could take as long as 30
minutes to boot and then i would get access to DMESG, etc. but i tried that
and after a night letting it trying to boot i still got only a black screen.

Anybody can help me with what to do next ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: INITRD OK then black screen, no console

FredGreg
Thanks a lot.  Got it working now with the new kernel.

I still got a little problem, this unit try to load the i915.ko for video driver but it fails,  if i use uvesafb it work fine.   So i blacklisted the i915.ko but doing that my build stop working on my others computers who failed with uvesafb(invalide mode).

Idealy id like to have only one build of thinstation across my company, it's easier to remotely update without having to take consideration of the computer model you are about to update.

Thanks in advance,

Re: INITRD OK then black screen, no console

Place VESAMODE=true on the kernel cmd line in the configuration file of the offending machine/s

Re: INITRD OK then black screen, no console

Андрій Варцаб'юк

Hi. Is performance your videi play good?

4 трав. 2016 22:30 "FredGreg" <[hidden email]> пише:
Thanks a lot.  Got it working now with the new kernel.

I still got a little problem, this unit try to load the i915.ko for video
driver but it fails,  if i use uvesafb it work fine.   So i blacklisted the
i915.ko but doing that my build stop working on my others computers who
failed with uvesafb(invalide mode).

Idealy id like to have only one build of thinstation across my company, it's
easier to remotely update without having to take consideration of the
computer model you are about to update.

Thanks in advance,

Re: INITRD OK then black screen, no console

FredGreg

Thank you Don.   Working fine now!

Have a nice day,

Fred

Re: INITRD OK then black screen, no console

FredGreg

Video performance with uvesafb is not the best,  with freerdp i had screen redraw problem which resulted in me lowering the compression to 0.   Not perfect but acceptable solution waiting for a compatible driver for this system.

Regards,

Fred