Multiple Sessions Howto ?

Dave Botsch
I'm trying to figure out how to have multiple session types from which a
user can choose, either via a menu or via ctrl-alt-Fx .

It seems that there used to be a replimenu, but posts indicate that's
broken.

>From everything else I'm reading, I should be able to simply do:

SESSION_0_configs
SESSION_1_configs
SESSION_2_configs

and then have 3 sessions, the first on ctrl-alt-F3 and up.

But that's not the case.

The "first" session is always on F5 (even if I only have session 0
configured).

And I only get one session, which seems to be the last (SESSION_2) ...
nothing on any of the other terminals.

It looks like it may have started each app on the same X display and on
top of each other instead of on separate terminals.

In thinstation.conf.buildtime, I have:

SESSION_0_TYPE=thinlinc
SESSION_0_THINLINC_SERVER=****
SESSION_0_THINLINC_OPTIONS="-u user -c -l server"
SESSION_0_THINLINC_CONFIG_SOUND_ENABLED=1
SESSION_0_THINLINC_CONFIG_NFS_SERVER_ENABLED=1
SESSION_0_THINLINC_CONFIG_NFS_ROOT_WARNING=0
SESSION_0_THINLINC_CONFIG_NFS_EXPORTS=/mnt/usbdevice,rw
RECONNECT_PROMPT=AUTO10
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=on

and then in thinstation.conf.network:

SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=on
SESSION_2_AUTOSTART=on
SESSION_0_TITLE="CNF Thin"
SESSION_1_TITLE="Desktop Everywhere"
SESSION_2_TITLE="Desktop Everywhere - Secure"
SESSION_1_TYPE=vmview
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_SERVERURL=****
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_DOMAINNAME=CORNELL
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_FULLSCREEN=true
SESSION_2_TYPE=vmview
SESSION_2_VMVIEW_SERVERURL=****
SESSION_2_VMVIEW_DOMAINNAME=CORNELL
SESSION_2_VMVIEW_FULLSCREEN=true

--
********************************
David William Botsch

Re: Multiple Sessions Howto ?

Don Cupp
As I understand it, that functionality was always a little quirky, and some would say that it just didn't work, while others would say it had a lot of annoyances.

I was oblivious to it, as I have never had any need to run more than 1 Xserver at a time. Xsessions start at tty5, as tty1 is for the console, 2 & 3 are for text sessions, 4 is unused but F keys are in groups of four. Also once upon a time, X would lock if you put it on the same tty as the console, maybe not true anymore, but I still like to be able to switch between the console and X.

Sessions 0+ are serial because one often needs to run more than one application on a tty, for example the window manager needs to run on the same tty as the browser or remote app that it manages. Making them parallel is not impossible, but very complicated for such a rare corner-case.

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:00 AM, Dave Botsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to have multiple session types from which a
user can choose, either via a menu or via ctrl-alt-Fx .

It seems that there used to be a replimenu, but posts indicate that's
broken.

>From everything else I'm reading, I should be able to simply do:

SESSION_0_configs
SESSION_1_configs
SESSION_2_configs

and then have 3 sessions, the first on ctrl-alt-F3 and up.

But that's not the case.

The "first" session is always on F5 (even if I only have session 0
configured).

And I only get one session, which seems to be the last (SESSION_2) ...
nothing on any of the other terminals.

It looks like it may have started each app on the same X display and on
top of each other instead of on separate terminals.

In thinstation.conf.buildtime, I have:

SESSION_0_TYPE=thinlinc
SESSION_0_THINLINC_SERVER=****
SESSION_0_THINLINC_OPTIONS="-u user -c -l server"
SESSION_0_THINLINC_CONFIG_SOUND_ENABLED=1
SESSION_0_THINLINC_CONFIG_NFS_SERVER_ENABLED=1
SESSION_0_THINLINC_CONFIG_NFS_ROOT_WARNING=0
SESSION_0_THINLINC_CONFIG_NFS_EXPORTS=/mnt/usbdevice,rw
RECONNECT_PROMPT=AUTO10
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=on

and then in thinstation.conf.network:

SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=on
SESSION_2_AUTOSTART=on
SESSION_0_TITLE="CNF Thin"
SESSION_1_TITLE="Desktop Everywhere"
SESSION_2_TITLE="Desktop Everywhere - Secure"
SESSION_1_TYPE=vmview
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_SERVERURL=****
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_DOMAINNAME=CORNELL
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_FULLSCREEN=true
SESSION_2_TYPE=vmview
SESSION_2_VMVIEW_SERVERURL=****
SESSION_2_VMVIEW_DOMAINNAME=CORNELL
SESSION_2_VMVIEW_FULLSCREEN=true

--
********************************
David William Botsch
Programmer/Analyst
@CNFComputing

Re: Multiple Sessions Howto ?

Dave Botsch
I ended up following instructions for xdesktop-kiosk, and that works
sufficiently well, I believe.

David William Botsch
Programmer/Analyst
@CNFComputing