NX Client on diskless client *really* slow

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NX Client on diskless client *really* slow

Tomek Sylwestrowicz
Hi,

I have a diskless client (check out this site
http://store.epatec.net/de/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/31
) and I have a server configured with Kubuntu (debian
based linux distro). Both are on the same LAN.

I have configured the server with a tftp daemon
(tftpd-hpa) and put a pxe image in the /tftpboot/
directory (created with TS-O-Matic 2.1rc2). I have
also configured the server to be an NX server. I
tested that it works by connecting with a NoMachine
windows client and a linux client and it works great
(both clients are version 1.5).

I have managed to keep the image to less than 10 Megs
and it has all the packages that I need for it to boot
up correctly. It all works, as I just want it to bring
up a session of firefox... but when I boot with the
diskless client it's soooo slow!

I have come to the conclusion that it is probably the
version of nx client that TS uploads (from what I saw)
it loads up 1.4. I've tried lowering and raising the
cache setting in the nx login window but nothing
helps.

I have checked through the archives and the search
didn't come up with any thing about nx client being
slow on diskless clients.

My settings in the network conf file are:

SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=On
SESSION_0_TYPE=nx
SESSION_0_TITLE="Firefox"
SESSION_0_NX_ADVANCED_ENABLE_SSL_ENCRYPTION="true"
SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_DESKTOP="Console"
SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_SERVER_HOST="192.168.200.19"
SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_REMEMBER_PASSWORD="true"
SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_COMMAND_LINE="/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox"
SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_SESSION="Unix"
SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_ONLY_CONSOLE="false"

Can anyone help?

Cheers, Tomski

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
Thinstation-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NX Client on diskless client *really* slow

Adrien Guillon
    Try changing SESSION_0_NX_ADVANCED_ENABLE_SSL_ENCRYPTION="true" to
"false", the SSL Encryption is likely overkill.  What is the speed of
your client ?

    AJ

On 09/08/05 09:35, Tomek Sylwestrowicz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a diskless client (check out this site
> http://store.epatec.net/de/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/31
> ) and I have a server configured with Kubuntu (debian
> based linux distro). Both are on the same LAN.
>
> I have configured the server with a tftp daemon
> (tftpd-hpa) and put a pxe image in the /tftpboot/
> directory (created with TS-O-Matic 2.1rc2). I have
> also configured the server to be an NX server. I
> tested that it works by connecting with a NoMachine
> windows client and a linux client and it works great
> (both clients are version 1.5).
>
> I have managed to keep the image to less than 10 Megs
> and it has all the packages that I need for it to boot
> up correctly. It all works, as I just want it to bring
> up a session of firefox... but when I boot with the
> diskless client it's soooo slow!
>
> I have come to the conclusion that it is probably the
> version of nx client that TS uploads (from what I saw)
> it loads up 1.4. I've tried lowering and raising the
> cache setting in the nx login window but nothing
> helps.
>
> I have checked through the archives and the search
> didn't come up with any thing about nx client being
> slow on diskless clients.
>
> My settings in the network conf file are:
>
> SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=On
> SESSION_0_TYPE=nx
> SESSION_0_TITLE="Firefox"
> SESSION_0_NX_ADVANCED_ENABLE_SSL_ENCRYPTION="true"
> SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_DESKTOP="Console"
> SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_SERVER_HOST="192.168.200.19"
> SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_REMEMBER_PASSWORD="true"
> SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_COMMAND_LINE="/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox"
> SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_SESSION="Unix"
> SESSION_0_NX_GENERAL_ONLY_CONSOLE="false"
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers, Tomski
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
> September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
> Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
> _______________________________________________
> Thinstation-general mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
Thinstation-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NX Client on diskless client *really* slow

Tomek Sylwestrowicz
Adrien,

To remove the ssl is not really an option (I'll try it
anyway), because eventually this will be the setup for
our users to go over the wan. As we have a fair amount
of sensitive stuff that goes over the wires (or air)
we need the ssl functionality to work. Once I try with
out the ssl I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, Tomski



       
               
______________________________________________________
Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.
http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
Thinstation-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NX Client on diskless client *really* slow

TrevorB
On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 06:17 -0700, Tomek Sylwestrowicz wrote:
> Adrien,
>
> To remove the ssl is not really an option (I'll try it
> anyway), because eventually this will be the setup for
> our users to go over the wan. As we have a fair amount
> of sensitive stuff that goes over the wires (or air)
> we need the ssl functionality to work. Once I try with
> out the ssl I'll let you know how it goes.

Tomski,

my nx sessions run at near native speed (and I haven't turned off ssl).
The nx guys don't recommend using the LAN setting for speed, rather have
it at the default ADSL speed (at LAN setting all optimisations are
turned off).

Trevor B

>
> Cheers, Tomski
>
>
>
>
>
> ______________________________________________________
> Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.
> http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
> September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
> Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
> _______________________________________________
> Thinstation-general mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
Thinstation-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NX Client on diskless client *really* slow

Tomek Sylwestrowicz
OK Guys,

I know I should have tried this earlier, but using TS
2.2 beta, made the difference. I guess the nx client
that my version of TS 2.1 was using the 1.4 version.
Since using 2.2 (which downloaded the 1.5 nx client)
the performance has increased dramatically!

Cheers,
Tomski



               
__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
http://mail.yahoo.com


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
Thinstation-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NX Client on diskless client *really* slow

TrevorB
Quoting Tomek Sylwestrowicz <[hidden email]>:

> OK Guys,
>
> I know I should have tried this earlier, but using TS
> 2.2 beta, made the difference. I guess the nx client
> that my version of TS 2.1 was using the 1.4 version.
> Since using 2.2 (which downloaded the 1.5 nx client)
> the performance has increased dramatically!

Tomski,

I have now had an older Win98SE box having similar performance problems as you
describe. This box was working OK before I upgarded to FreeNX 0.4.4 at the
server.

I'm guessing that there are some performance issues (that may be tweaked by
certain settings) when using the older clients with newer server components.
Either that or it is trying to use incorrect screen dimension settings and
expending a lot of effort translating to a different resolution....

Will experiment a little, as I'm sure that we will get more issues like this
with the various versions of the client & server. If you can do a little
testing it would be appreciated.

Trevor B
PS. What server version are you running?

>
> Cheers,
> Tomski
>
>
>
>
> __________________________________
> Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
Thinstation-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NX Client on diskless client *really* slow

Tomek Sylwestrowicz
Trevor,

The version of freenx on the server here is 0.4.4-0a3.
In order to set it up we followed the instructions on
the following page:

http://stateless.geek.nz/2005/06/27/building-freenx-04-on-ubuntu-hoary/

It seems like a pretty volatile page, sometimes it's
running and sometimes not, if you have problems
getting to the site, let me know and I'll try and
recount the steps we took here (if you need them that
is!) to set up freenx on a kubuntu server.

Cheers, Tomski


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
Thinstation-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NX Client on diskless client *really* slow

TrevorB
On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 04:45 -0700, Tomek Sylwestrowicz wrote:
> Trevor,
>
> The version of freenx on the server here is 0.4.4-0a3.

I'm running 0.4.4-4 on Suse 10.0 (Beta4 -> RC1 tonight). It's even
available via YAST, so no need to tweak it myself (except the node.conf
to my liking).

I haven't had a problem with nxclient with any of the boxes before, but
there is definitely something on that Win98SE box (I only put the client
on there for testing anyway). Generally the performance seems fine,
except when hovering over the task bar and in certain apps.

Anyway, I'm not too worried as the TS client works quite quickly for me.

I really want to do some more experimentation, so I can put a simple
howto together for others wanting to use nx.

Trevor B

> In order to set it up we followed the instructions on
> the following page:
>
> http://stateless.geek.nz/2005/06/27/building-freenx-04-on-ubuntu-hoary/
>
> It seems like a pretty volatile page, sometimes it's
> running and sometimes not, if you have problems
> getting to the site, let me know and I'll try and
> recount the steps we took here (if you need them that
> is!) to set up freenx on a kubuntu server.
>
> Cheers, Tomski
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
> September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
> Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
> _______________________________________________
> Thinstation-general mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
Thinstation-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general