Quantcast

Network card starts unconnected

Avallone, Kenneth

I am trying to get thinstation to work on HP hardware doing a PXE boot and jumping directly into VMware Horizon using PCoIP. I have been able to get this to work! Yay! I can ONLY get this to work when I have made the build with –allmodules. Not the optimal condition. The problem that I have is when the machine boots up, the first thing that shows up it cannot connect to the VMware connection server as the network card is not connected. If I cancel out of the VMware client, it connects the card and I can reconnect and all is happy. I have tried all the network modules but cannot get the machine to connect unless I do the –allmodules switch.

Any insight as to what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks

Ken

Re: Network card starts unconnected

Don Cupp
So what I think is happening, is that it takes longer for the network to come up, than it takes for the client to come up. An allmodules build extends the time that it takes for the client to come up, allowing the network to be up in time.
Try setting
WAIT_FOR_LINK=true
thinstation.conf.buildtime

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Avallone, Kenneth

I am trying to get thinstation to work on HP hardware doing a PXE boot and jumping directly into VMware Horizon using PCoIP. I have been able to get this to work! Yay! I can ONLY get this to work when I have made the build with –allmodules. Not the optimal condition. The problem that I have is when the machine boots up, the first thing that shows up it cannot connect to the VMware connection server as the network card is not connected. If I cancel out of the VMware client, it connects the card and I can reconnect and all is happy. I have tried all the network modules but cannot get the machine to connect unless I do the –allmodules switch.

Any insight as to what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks

Ken

Re: Network card starts unconnected

Avallone, Kenneth

That wait line worked great. Also the lspci –k helped me find the right module(s) to load.

Now trying to boot this over a slow link and getting a “PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout”. The network person tells me my MTU is set too high. Guess they have it set as 1348 or something non-standard. Is FTP_BLOCKSIZE the right place to adjust that?

Thanks

Ken

Re: Network card starts unconnected

Avallone, Kenneth

I have no clue why they do what they do and they won’t change up to the default or turn on jumbo frames.

Re: Network card starts unconnected

Don Cupp
Are you trying to use pxelinux or lpxelinux?

I have no clue why they do what they do and they won’t change up to the default or turn on jumbo frames.

Re: Network card starts unconnected

Avallone, Kenneth

pxelinux

Are you trying to use pxelinux or lpxelinux?

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:06 AM, "Avallone, Kenneth" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have no clue why they do what they do and they won’t change up to the default or turn on jumbo frames.

Re: Network card starts unconnected

Don Cupp
Found this in the syslinux wiki

Most, possibly all, PXE implementations are completely broken if they receive fragmented IP packets; also, a lot of them will request a blksize of 1468 or thereabouts, corresponding to an MTU of 1500. Therefore, your boot server should never use an MTU that is larger than the MTU the packets may encounter during the transfer (typically 1500), and you should disable the blksize option (-r blksize in tftp-hpa) if you have to use an MTU smaller than 1500. Fortunately it's rare these days that you'll have that kind of network between your TFTP server and your clients.

pxelinux

Are you trying to use pxelinux or lpxelinux?

I have no clue why they do what they do and they won’t change up to the default or turn on jumbo frames.

Re: Network card starts unconnected

Avallone, Kenneth

OK. Found where to change it, but the file keeps reverting back to the default on my DevStation server. L Am I missing something?

[...]

If the setting works, you could rebuild the DevStation, but DevStation is really for development, not deployment

Re: Network card starts unconnected

Avallone, Kenneth

I can’t check it to see if it works because I can’t get the service to restart without rebooting. And when I reboot, it resets.

Re: Network card starts unconnected

Don Cupp
kill -KILL `pidof in.tftpd`; kill -HUP `pidof xinetd`