Not enough memory to load specified image

Not enough memory to load specified image

Mike Ferguson

I’m receiving “Not enough memory to load specified image” when I boot a laptop using a USB drive with my latest image on it.  The exact same image works fine as a virtual machine in VMware Player with 1.5GB or RAM.  My laptop has 16GB of RAM.  The image size is 568,803,328 bytes.  I use Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.6 to write the ISO to the USB drive.  This is a TS5.2 build.

I’ve tried the following without any luck:

-          Increased MAXIMAGE  in the build script

-          Increased RAMDISK in syslinux.cfg

-          Tried other known good USB drives

I’m really stumped as to why it will run as a VM with only 1.5GB of RAM but won’t run on a physical box with more RAM.  If I exclude Libre Office from the build I can run it with 1GB of RAM as a VM and it loads fine on my laptop.

Re: Not enough memory to load specified image

32-bit or 64-bit kernel?
With 32-bit, you're limited to booting in only 2GB of memory (low memory set to 2GB via 2G/2G split set in kernel, increased from the default 1G/3G, remember that your limited to 4GB addressing).
If anything is using space such that there's not a big enough block of contiguous memory, won't load.
I don't know yet if specific BIOS exhibit the problem or not.