Quantcast

OCSInventory-NG integration

Stefano Ceccherini
Hi,
In my organization we have been using Thinstation for nearly three years, with great advantages.
We have nearly 40 thinclient (on a total of 110 client workstation) booted via PXE.
Since we also use OCSInventory NG to keep track of our computers, we always wanted to be able to keep track of Thinstation machines, too. Since there were no ready solution, I decided to roll my own.
So I wrote a very small application which can send a full inventory to an OCS Inventory server.
I noticed that other people requested a solution like that, so, if someone is interested, the code is here:

https://github.com/jackburton79/agent

I can provide binaries if required, but it's easy to build from the Thinstation build environment.

Thanks for your time.

Bye all.

Stefano Ceccherini

Re: OCSInventory-NG integration

rdesbois
Hi,

i use your agent for OCSinventory in my organization.
We have 151 thinclient on thinstation/PXE.
This agent is based on lshw and dmidecode therefore it contain only CPU informations (memory, serial number, make, model, ...) but nothing on the external devices like screen display.
With your agent do think it's possible to add the serial number of the screen display from EDID extrated code
?

Thanks

Le 03/03/2014 17:04, Stefano Ceccherini a écrit :
[...]

I Stefano,

It's possible to use edid-decode to extract "serial number" and other values from edid device.
On thinclient I use this command:
edid-decode `find /sys/devices/ -name edid` | grep "Serial number"
Later I'll change this command in a script for multi screen ...

Ref. => https://gist.github.com/OneSadCookie/641549

I think I juste sort and insert extracted values in the XML file format of your ocsinventory agent.
    <MONITORS>
      <BASE64></BASE64>
      <CAPTION></CAPTION>
      <DESCRIPTION></DESCRIPTION>
      <MANUFACTURER></MANUFACTURER>
      <SERIAL></SERIAL>
      <UUENCODE></UUENCODE>
    </MONITORS>

Thanks

Le 06/03/2014 07:00, Stefano Ceccherini a écrit :

Il 05/mar/2014 23:30 "Stephane QNOC" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> i use your agent for OCSinventory in my organization.
> We have 151 thinclient on thinstation/PXE.
> This agent is based on lshw and dmidecode therefore it contain only CPU informations (memory, serial number, make, model, ...) but nothing on the external devices like screen display.
> With your agent do think it's possible to add the serial number of the screen display from EDID extrated code ?

Hi,
It's not yet possible, but planned. I'm interested in that feature, too, so I'll add it as soon as I have a little time to work on it.