Quantcast

Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

djn@digitaliservices.com

I don’t know if I’m barking up the wrong tree or not, but here goes…

I deployed a handful of Thinstations (5.5) with xrandr and Citrix Receiver.  From time to time, users will have windows pop-under other windows (for example, doing a mail merge out of an application will launch Word but Word is popped-under another application’s window) or the window appears on both screens simultaneously but only one of them really works correctly.  Is this a TS/xrandr issue or a Citrix issue?  Right now I’m just trying to figure out which forum to poke around in to find a solution.

Thanks!

-- Dave

Digital i Services

David Nelson

ASE, CCEA, CCNP, CCDP, GCUX, MCDBA, MCSE, MCNE, SCP

Sr. Systems Architect

2550 E Desert Inn Rd

Unit 120

Las Vegas, NV 89121-3611

702.400.1122 Cell

702.357.4340 Cell/Text

702.878.1122 FAX

[hidden email]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         Digital i Services

"When you wish IT worked!"

HP Location ID# 10035068

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This information may be subject to legal, professional, or other privilege, or may otherwise be protected by work product, immunity or other legal rules. It must not be disclosed to any person without the sender's authority. If you are not the intended recipient, or are not authorized to receive it for the intended recipient, you are not authorized to, and must not, disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it.

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

Don Cupp
I would think that is an Citrix thing. Could be a window manager interaction. Icewm or XFWM?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 1:15 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<a dir="ltr" href="tel:702.400.1122" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="4">702.400.1122 Cell

<a dir="ltr" href="tel:702.357.4340" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="5/0">702.357.4340 Cell/Text

<a dir="ltr" href="tel:702.878.1122" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="5/1">702.878.1122 FAX

<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:djn@digitaliservices.com" target="_blank" href="javascript:return">djn@...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         Digital i Services

"When you wish IT worked!"

HP Location ID# 10035068

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This information may be subject to legal, professional, or other privilege, or may otherwise be protected by work product, immunity or other legal rules. It must not be disclosed to any person without the sender's authority. If you are not the intended recipient, or are not authorized to receive it for the intended recipient, you are not authorized to, and must not, disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it.

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

djn@digitaliservices.com

XFWM

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

Don Cupp
Compositing enabled?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 1:13 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

XFWM

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 1:28 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[...]

<a dir="ltr" href="tel:702.400.1122" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="11">702.400.1122 Cell

<a dir="ltr" href="tel:702.357.4340" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="12/0">702.357.4340 Cell/Text

<a dir="ltr" href="tel:702.878.1122" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="12/1">702.878.1122 FAX

[hidden email]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         Digital i Services

"When you wish IT worked!"

HP Location ID# 10035068

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This information may be subject to legal, professional, or other privilege, or may otherwise be protected by work product, immunity or other legal rules. It must not be disclosed to any person without the sender's authority. If you are not the intended recipient, or are not authorized to receive it for the intended recipient, you are not authorized to, and must not, disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it.

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

djn@digitaliservices.com

Yes.

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Compositing enabled?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 1:13 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

XFWM

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

Don Cupp
Does disabling it make any difference?

Yes.

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Compositing enabled?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
XFWM

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

djn@digitaliservices.com

I’ll give it a try and let you know. Thank you!

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, January 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Compositing enabled?

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 1:28 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[...]

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

djn@digitaliservices.com

Disabling compositing didn't make any difference.  It's really weird...  it's almost as if the application got painted on the second screen but all the controls are hidden on the first screen?!

Let's say I open MS Word and it appears on monitor 2.  I can't click anything and nothing works.  Now if I hit ALT+F for example, the drop-down menu shows up on monitor 1 as though the application was displayed on monitor 1 but is really displayed on monitor 2.  I don't even know how to Google something like that!  :)

 If you have any other ideas, I'm all eyes and ears!!

Digital i Services
David Nelson
ASE, CCEA, CCNP, CCDP, GCUX, MCDBA, MCSE, MCNE, SCP
Sr. Systems Architect
850 S Boulder Hwy
Unit 500
Henderson, NV 89015-7564
702.400.1122 Cell
702.357.4340 Cell/Text
702.878.1122 FAX
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
         Digital i Services
"When you wish IT worked!"

HP Location ID# 10035068
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Compositing enabled?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
XFWM

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

djn@digitaliservices.com

Attached are sanitized configs.  Do you see anything bad/wrong with what I'm doing?

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Compositing enabled?

build.conf (2K) Download Attachment
thinstation.conf.buildtime (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

Don Cupp
If that's true, then that sounds like a Citrix issue. It should handle screen mapping internally. I don't think we could possibly be affecting this in anyway.

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Compositing enabled?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
XFWM

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

djn@digitaliservices.com

Gotcha.  Did the configs look good to you?

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Compositing enabled?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
XFWM

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

Don Cupp
I didn't look. Sorry. I dig through problems all day, and usually don't go any deeper than I have to.

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Compositing enabled?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
XFWM

Re: Odd Citrix Behavior (maybe Thinstation?)

djn@digitaliservices.com
I completely understand! Lol

Is there any way I can entice you to just take a quick look please?  I could send a case of beer!?  Virtually of course...  ;)

From: Don Cupp <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Compositing enabled?