Quantcast

Openkiosk options don't work

Eric Trezel
Hi,

Now testing package openkiosk, and noticed some options in thinstation.conf have no effect :

SESSION_0_OPENKIOSK_HOMEPAGE=http://www.google.com :
Whatever I put here, it starts with homepage defined in lib/openkiosk/defaults/openkiosk.js (or openkiosk-branding.js)
SESSION_0_OPENKIOSK_TOOLBAR_ON="false"
True or false doesn't change anything : toolbar is on
SESSION_0_OPENKIOSK_TOOLBAR_BUTTONS="unified-back-forward-button,reload-button,stop-button,home-button,print-button,zoom-control,reset-container,navigator-throbber"
Changes in this list doesn't affect what you find in the navigator when it's launched

I "walked through" this bug, making changes directly in .js files, but it's not a good idea, because I need to make different groups of thin clients using the same openkiosk config, but not the same homepage, for example.

If someone has an idea... thank you.

E. Trezel

Signature Unilim
Eric Trezel
Technicien de maintenance informatique
Direction du Système d'Information
Université de Limoges
123 Av. Albert Thomas
87060 Limoges Cedex
Tél : 05 87 08 08 41
Num de poste : 38 41
Accueil : 05 87 08 08 00
Web : http://www.unilim.fr/
Mail : [hidden email]
 unilim.fr

Re: Openkiosk options don't work

emuhuron
Eric, Try SESSION_0_OPENKIOSK_SERVER=  .... Had similar problem setting up some Firefox shortcuts.  Using SERVER resolved it.

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Eric Trezel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

@Brian : Thanks for your solution, it works. It was the most important option to work for me. But where did you find this _server option ? Is there a doc I missed ?

If you had the same kind of idea about the reset_timer option (it seems it doesn't work neither), it would be fine.

@Don : I'm french and I don't understand what you mean with : "I am sure it could use a little TLC. hint hint"

Le 24/02/2017 à 16:47, Don Cupp a écrit :
[...]

    • Service Support
    • Direction du Système d'Information
    • Université de Limoges
    • 123 Avenue Albert Thomas
    • 87060 Limoges Cedex

Re: Openkiosk options don't work

Eric Trezel

Re,

I thought Brian's solution was OK, but I claimed victory too early :

When the thin client boots, the home page is the one I gave in OPENKIOSK_SERVER. But when it resets (RESET_TIMER option finally works), it goes to homepage found in openkiosk.js, not to the URL given in OPENKIOSK_SERVER option. :(

I think I will take a look at the OPENKIOSK_PROFILE option, but I fear the issue should be the same : OK at boot, but not when the browser resets.

That probably means those prefs files should be dynamically modified at client's boot using thinstation.conf options. I agree to take a look at this changes, if you give me some hint about where I should look, in which script to do this.

Thanks

Eric

[...]

Within the package, should be an etc/init.d/openkiosk*, that should be where you configure the plugin during boot.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, February 24, 2017 7:01 AM, Brian Koch <a rel="nofollow" shape="rect" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" ymailto="mailto:bkoch@ci.taylor.mi.us" target="_blank" href="javascript:return"><bkoch@...> wrote:

Eric, Try SESSION_0_OPENKIOSK_SERVER=  .... Had similar problem setting up some Firefox shortcuts.  Using SERVER resolved it.

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
<a dir="ltr" href="tel:(734)%20374-1514" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="3">(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Eric Trezel <<a rel="nofollow" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:eric.trezel@unilim.fr" target="_blank" href="javascript:return">eric.trezel@...> wrote:
[...]

Tél : <a dir="ltr" href="tel:05%2087%2008%2008%2041" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="7">05 87 08 08 41
Num de poste : 38 41
Accueil : <a dir="ltr" href="tel:05%2087%2008%2008%2000" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="8/0">05 87 08 08 00
Web : http://www.unilim.fr/
Mail : <a rel="nofollow" shape="rect" id="yiv4711785986m_-384220164959853108lien-mail" style="color:#b51621;text-decoration:none;" ymailto="mailto:eric.trezel@unilim.fr" target="_blank" href="javascript:return">eric.trezel@...
 unilim.fr

Re: Openkiosk options don't work

Per-Ole Fanuelsen-2
TLC = Tender Loving Care :)

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 Feb 2017, at 17:29, Eric Trezel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

  1. <UL-Logo-sans-bordures-h80.png>
    • Eric Trezel
    • Service Support
    • Direction du Système d'Information
    • Université de Limoges
    • 123 Avenue Albert Thomas
    • 87060 Limoges Cedex

Re: Openkiosk options don't work

emuhuron
I did find this in my previous posts to TS:  I had icons that were misbehaving too.  It may have had to do with whatever version of Firefox my build grabbed at the time of my testing.  I'd be guessing, though.

Michael K [hidden email] via lists.sourceforge.net

11/9/16

You're also not using SERVER for any of your sessions, which is why some of your icons aren't doing what you want.  FIREFOX_OPTIONS ->FIREFOX_SERVER and VMVIEW_SERVER = "domain name:443"

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Eric Trezel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I gave a little TLC to openkiosk to fix the issue, spending a little time with openkiosk.init, and I finally found the reason why it didn't work.

It was simply not applied because in openkiosk/etc/rc2.d/, the link was bad. I had :

S19openkiosk.init -> /etc/init.d/openkiosk.init?
I don' t know where this "?" came from. I looked at the original thinstation archive, and it's not here.

I fixed the link, and it works now.

But I noticed that the package started, even without executing this script, on one hand, and on the other, that the "SESSION_0_OPENKIOSK_SERVER" option was working, despite it is not treated in the script.
That means "something else" starts openkiosk, and I would be interested to know what this "something else" is.

A little precision for SESSION_0_OPENKIOSK_SERVER if it can help someone reading this lines : this option is just passed to firefox at start (firefox starts to this URL), but doesn't replace homepage.

Thanks for your help
E.T.

-----------
Technicien de maintenance informatique
Direction du Système d'Information
Université de Limoges
123 Av. Albert Thomas, 87060 Limoges Cedex
Tél : 05 87 08 08 41
Num de poste : 38 41
Accueil : 05 87 08 08 00
Web : http://www.unilim.fr/

Re: Openkiosk options don't work

ecoutinho
Hi Eric,

 Sorry for arriving late at this thread! Thanks for pointing out the error at the init link. I don't know how it happened, but the '?' is actually a '\n' at the end of the destination. I've created a pull request to correct it.

 Now that you've figured that one out, everything should work according to the README. You can find it at ts/build/packages/openkiosk/README. To set the homepage, you should use:

SESSION_0_OPENKIOSK_HOMEPAGE="http://www.google.com"

 If you don't specify SESSION_#_OPENKIOSK_PROFILE, the default one will be used. If you want a second session with a different homepage, just set everything as the first one, and specify a new profile name. It will be automatically created for you. When the thinclient boots, profiles are located at .mdg/openkiosk/.

For instance, this is what I use for online exams at the faculty where I work:

SESSION_1_TITLE=Exam
SESSION_1_TYPE=openkiosk
SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=Off
SESSION_1_ICON=On
SESSION_1_OPENKIOSK_HOMEPAGE="http://sigarra.up.pt/fcup/"
SESSION_1_OPENKIOSK_PROFILE="exam"
SESSION_1_OPENKIOSK_TOOLBAR_ON=false
SESSION_1_OPENKIOSK_RESET_TIMER=999
SESSION_1_OPENKIOSK_WHITELIST_URL="ftp://myserver/pub/thinstation-conf/exam.txt"

 If you don't want the user to make changes to your config, also make sure you set a new password at SESSION_#_OPENKIOSK_ADMIN_PASS.

 I hope this gets you going.

Best regards,
Elio Coutinho

Hi,