PXE Ethernet Drivers

purkleturkle
This post was updated on .
Hi

Up until now I have been test booting my machines using the ISO which seems to include all the network drivers. I am now using the PXE boot.

I have read I need to include all of the network cards in your image and if it boots OK, find which module was used by running the command cat /var/log/messages | grep eth0 When I run this command I see that it lists the NetworkManager package but I have no Ethertnet available like I did when booting from an ISO. I also tried commenting out NetworkManager and using TS-Classic/AutoNet package I still have no Ethernet available once booted from PXE into ThinStation.

Where do I enable the network cards, I've seen a post listing the different models like Intel, Realtek etc just can't see where to enable them, I presumed it would be in the build file, to un-comment, but I can't seem to find them? Is it somewhere else and linked to the NetworkManager package?

Re: PXE Ethernet Drivers

purkleturkle
I've added a bit more info, any help would be muchly apreciated.

Steve

Re: PXE Ethernet Drivers

Don Cupp
That was the old approach that took a lot of knowledge about kernel modules and hardware. The new approach that covers %99 of most hardware scenarios is to fingerprint your machine. The process for which is documented at the top of build.conf. It requires your to make at least one allmodules build and fingerprint your machines kernel module needs.

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:35 AM, purkleturkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've added a bit more info, any help would be muchly apreciated.

Steve

Re: PXE Ethernet Drivers

purkleturkle
Ah okay because I just came across this http://thinstation.sourceforge.net/docs/build.conf.example and compared it to my build.conf and the Ethernet drivers were not there - so that explains it!

Great thanks I will read the build.conf properly now, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Re: PXE Ethernet Drivers

purkleturkle
This post was updated on .
Okay I have enabled package extensions and package extensions-x in build.conf and I have added "SERVER=#.#.#.# hwlister.sh" to thinstation.conf.buildtime and run .build --allmodules I have booted my client from PXE and run .hwlister.sh

I get the error tftp: server error: (0) Permission denied

My DevStation and ThinStation Client are on the same subnet and VLAN. My Windows Server 2012R2 DHCP server is set with Option 66 Boot Server and Option 67 Bootfile Name=boot/pxelinux/pxelinux.0

I was expecting it to compile the lists and post them back to the PXE DevsStation server. Am I missing something?

Re: PXE Ethernet Drivers

purkleturkle
Start>DevStation>Toggle PXE Read/Write in

seems to have done the trick

Re: PXE Ethernet Drivers

If using DevStation, toggle PXE read/write. Anything else, enable writing on the tftp server.

Re: PXE Ethernet Drivers

purkleturkle
Hi Don

Thanks again. I can't see what the next step is. What is the location of the uploaded files, is it these?

/thinstation/build/boot-images/pxe/module.list
/thinstation/build/boot-images/pxe/package.list

Do I need to define these when I run a normal build again?

Steve

Re: PXE Ethernet Drivers

Don Cupp
cd /build
mkmachine <Pick a machine profile name>
This will copy those files into a machine profile
Now add
machine <The name you picked earlier. Spaces might not work>
to your build.conf
Now you can make builds without allfirmware and allmodules. Smaller/Faster