PXE boot time

McHenry
We have a number of machines booting via PXE and all works well however I would like to investigate improving boot time if possible. Presently the machines take 1min 25 secs from power on to RDP login prompt. We are using the Devstation TFTP server.

What sort of PXE boot times do others users achieve and any tips would be appreciated.

Re: PXE boot time

Don Cupp
Using only tftp? Http? Mixed? Block size? Image size? Network speed?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, April 3, 2017, 1:26 AM, Henry McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

We have a number of machines booting via PXE and all works well however I would like to investigate improving boot time if possible. Presently the machines take 1min 25 secs from power on to RDP login prompt. We are using the Devstation TFTP server.

What sort of PXE boot times do others users achieve and any tips would be appreciated.

Spice USB redirection question.

Jacob Green
     Hello, thanks for letting me join the mailing list. I have been
testing out thinstation on my 10zig thin clients and it seems to work
well, I have been using the --allmodules option for testing just to make
sure it booted and is working, ill work on making it thinner later. For
now I am really interested in using virt-viewer/remote-viewer, I can see
that it was integrated as of the last update to Thinstation which is
great, however it seems it was not compiled with usbredir support from
spice. I am no Linux guru, I just know enough to usually follow
instructions and get things going for the most part. But what I am not
sure how to do is get remote-viewer with UsbRedir working. When I go to
the USB redirection option in virt-viewer it tells me something to the
effect of "usb redirection is not compiled with this software."

Now I did find this https://github.com/savichev/Thinstation but it also
says status not-working. I am new to using git, so I was not sure if I
should take that literally to mean the outlined process does not work?
And even if it did, despite there being instructions I am a little lost
here.

The reason I want to get usbredir working is we have a number of
thinclient users who connect to windows virtual guests to use MS Office,
and they sometimes needs to transfer files they receive on USB to that
environment. I have gotten USB redirection to work with Debian and the
virt-viewer that comes in the repo seems to have usbredirection enabled.
It would be nice to boot these to a thinstation that had usb-redireciton
in remote-viewer.

So I guess I am mainly just looking for any pointers in the right
direction. Or if anyone has usb-redirection working with
remote-viewer/spice/thinstation?

Thank you

Re: PXE boot time

Stefano Ceccherini

Using only tftp? Http? Mixed? Block size? Image size? Network speed?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, April 3, 2017, 1:26 AM, Henry McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

We have a number of machines booting via PXE and all works well however I would like to investigate improving boot time if possible. Presently the machines take 1min 25 secs from power on to RDP login prompt. We are using the Devstation TFTP server.

What sort of PXE boot times do others users achieve and any tips would be appreciated.
For what could be worth:
We were using tftp only, but since we've switched to tftp + http boot times have considerably improved.
We also used latest version of pxelinux (the old one, included in the thinstation version we are using, did not work well for http).

Re: PXE boot time

Hélio Maia
You can use the tftp 32

Em 3 de abr de 2017 5:26 AM, "Henry McLaughlin" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
We have a number of machines booting via PXE and all works well however I would like to investigate improving boot time if possible. Presently the machines take 1min 25 secs from power on to RDP login prompt. We are using the Devstation TFTP server.

What sort of PXE boot times do others users achieve and any tips would be appreciated.

Re: PXE boot time

ecoutinho
On our machines, it takes 40s from the moment PXE gets an IP, to boot into desktop. Network is Gb, we are using fastboot, and lib.squash (167MB) is downloaded through ftp.

Initially we had problems when a computer lab, around 20 clients, were switched on at the same time. On our CentOs server, tftpd wouldn't respond fast enough. We then changed to atftpd, which is multi-threaded, and that solved the issue.