Quantcast

Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

CrimsonKidA
Hello,
We have setup ThinStation and I love it, but we just have one small issue: we need the end users to easily see the IP address, talking them through how to find it is too difficult for some (I know, I know).

Is it possible to "hard code" the IP address that the ThinStation OS gets from DHCP into the wallpaper/background? If so, how can I do this (what changes to make to buildtime.conf, etc)? Thank you!!

Re: Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

CrimsonKidA
Something like this, BGInfo4X: https://sourceforge.net/projects/bginfo4x/

Re: Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

emuhuron
Crimson, I altered one of the existing packages in TS to show an About menu option from the menu.  It shows a popup with hostname, mac address, Client IP and a couple others pieces of info.  My test system is offline at the moment.  I'll try to get it to you tomorrow.

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 4:04 PM, CrimsonKidA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Something like this, BGInfo4X: https://sourceforge.net/projects/bginfo4x/

Re: Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

edwhardo

You might want to look at the package conky.

Thank you, Brian! That sounds perfect. Please do let me know if you can get it to me.

Thank you, Ed. Will check out Conky.

Re: Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

emuhuron
Crimson,  I altered the messagebox package with the following code in the /build/packages/messagebox/bin/about file.  You should probably make a copy of the original about file in case you want it later.  Remember to turn on the package in the build.conf.

# echo Thinstation Linux version $TS_VERSION

. $TS_GLOBAL

KERNEL=`exec uname -r`
X_VER=`grep ^"X.Org" /var/log/Xorg.0.log`
TOTAL_MEM=`free | grep -e Mem | sed -r 's/[[:space:]]+/ /g' |cut -d" " -f2`
USED_MEM=`free |grep -e Mem | sed -r 's/[[:space:]]+/ /g' |cut -d" " -f3`
FREE_MEM=`free | grep -e Mem | sed -r 's/[[:space:]]+/ /g' |cut -d" " -f4`
Client_IP=$(/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | awk '/inet addr/{split($2,a,":"); print a[2]}')
Xdialog --icon /lib/pixmaps/information_32x32.xpm --left --title "Thinstation Linux" \
        --msgbox "Hostname: $(hostname)
Mac Address:  $(/sbin/ifconfig | grep -i hwaddr | cut -d ' ' -f11)
Client IP: $Client_IP

COT Version: ${HDUPDATE_WS_VERSION}
Thinstation version: $TS_VERSION
Linux kernel version: $KERNEL
$X_VER " 15 55 2>&1

CrimsonKidA
Thanks so much. How would I use this exactly? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just not understanding exactly how it will show me the ThinStation client IP from our RDS server/s.

Re: Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

emuhuron
Oh, I thought you wanted the information showing on the client pc's.  This will be on their session start menu.  I use Google Chrome remote PC app ( drawing a blank on the actual name).  I have them shrink their vdi session to the thinstation desktop, click on the start menu, click on the About option from the start menu and the pop-up appears with the IP address.

If you need the string on the client side so they got a pop up asking if they allow you to get on, and port setup, let me know.

We had a Dell Wyse system maintaining all the pc's up to now.  Not exactly sure what system works great with thinstation to maintain a list of ip's other than an IP hosts file on the server for thinstation updates.

If you have an existing system, I would do a data export of hostnames, Mac addresses, and Ip's and convert the file for thinstation use (thinstation.hosts, thinstation.network, thinstation.group-name, etc...).

On Mar 6, 2017 7:05 PM, "CrimsonKidA" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks so much. How would I use this exactly? Sorry if it's a dumb question,
I'm just not understanding exactly how it will show me the ThinStation
client IP from our RDS server/s.

Re: Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

CrimsonKidA
Thanks again, Brian. Applications > About is plenty simple enough for our end users, but the problem is they have to disconnect from their RDS session to get there. I setup FreeRDP as Session0 in my build, with the ThinStation Linux desktop as Session1. So ideally if I could get their endpoint IP from the RDS servers, that would be perfect, but that requires some tricky DNS config changes on our Windows servers. This is a good start.

Re: Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

ecoutinho
  Crimson, while connected to a Windows RDS server, the user can check
the client hostname (thinstation) on Task Manager, on the Users tab.
Depending on the server version, it might be necessary to right click
one of the columns and enable 'Client name'. I suppose that if the
client is not registered in DNS, it will show the IP. If you connect to
the same server, you can see all connected users and their origin.
Wouldn't this be enough?

Elio

On 07-03-2017 15:31, CrimsonKidA wrote:

> Thanks again, Brian. Applications > About is plenty simple enough for our end
> users, but the problem is they have to disconnect from their RDS session to
> get there. I setup FreeRDP as Session0 in my build, with the ThinStation
> Linux desktop as Session1. So ideally if I could get their endpoint IP from
> the RDS servers, that would be perfect, but that requires some tricky DNS
> config changes on our Windows servers. This is a good start.

Re: Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

CrimsonKidA
Thanks, Elio. Yes, I can see their hostnames in RDS, but they are not registered in DNS and as of yet, I'm not sure if it even possible for us to do so. Without getting into a long explanation as to why not, suffice to say our ISP provides the routers for each of our remote sites where these ThinStation clients live and so we can't control DHCP and DNS like we do here at our corporate office on Windows Servers.

What we can do on the RDS servers is (like you said) open Task Manager > Users: Select user > remote control. BUT this only works if a). The user is actively logged in (windows session is not locked) and b). they are not using dual-monitors. Hence why we still need VNC. I can see the ThinStation's hostname in Task Manager > Users, but it's just "ThS_*MAC_Addrs*"), so we still have to either run Netscan/NMAP or (the hardest way), CMD > arp -a to find the IP of the ThnStn client.

Re: Possible to hard-code IP address into wallpaper/background..?

ecoutinho
I see. The client name you see on Task Manager is actually the hostname
of the TS. It uses the mac address, if there's no hostname assigned.

Then, this should show the IP, if run by the user at a RDS session:

ping -n 1 %CLIENTNAME%

If it works, maybe you can create a .bat that cleans up the output of
ping. It should also work for an admin connected on that RDS server, but
he wouldn't be able to use that environment variable, he would have to
use the client name listed on Task Manager.

Another option, if you allow your users to connect a pen drive, is to
pass the IP on usb device name. On xfreerdp options, use

/drive:"USB@$CLIENT_IP",//mnt/usbdevice

Then the user can go to 'Computer' and see a device named something like
'USB@192.168.1.1 at 112233445566'.

Having said that, you might also consider the package 'tsmon' that was
submitted to this list a few years back (see screenshot). I've been
using it since and introduced some improvements.  If you're interested I
can share it.

Elio

On 07-03-2017 18:57, CrimsonKidA wrote:

> Thanks, Elio. Yes, I can see their hostnames in RDS, but they are not
> registered in DNS and as of yet, I'm not sure if it even possible for us to
> do so. Without getting into a long explanation as to why not, suffice to say
> our ISP provides the routers for each of our remote sites where these
> ThinStation clients live and so we can't control DHCP and DNS like we do
> here at our corporate office on Windows Servers.
>
> What we can do on the RDS servers is (like you said) open Task Manager >
> Users: Select user > remote control. BUT this only works if a). The user is
> actively logged in (windows session is not locked) and b). they are not
> using dual-monitors. Hence why we still need VNC. I can see the
> ThinStation's hostname in Task Manager > Users, but it's just
> "ThS_*MAC_Addrs*"), so we still have to either run Netscan/NMAP or (the
> hardest way), CMD > arp -a to find the IP of the ThnStn client.

tsmon_screenshot.png (35K) Download Attachment