Problems with hwlister and mkmachine

Julian Robinson (ICT Manager)
Hi,

I have just returned to ThinStation (my last adventure was with 2.1 and TS-O-Matic) and I am trying to use DevStation to create some boot images for repurposing old-ish machines.

I have downloaded and installed the latest DevStation (TS-5.4.2-Installer-0503.iso) successfully.

I then selected 'Build All Modules' from the Devstation menu followed by 'Build' - both ran to completion although there were a couple of missing file type messages that flashed past during the build dialogue.

I have successfully setup the PXE boot options in my DHCP and PXE booted a test client for which I want to create a custom machine profile. The client booted successfully and the web browser, freeRDP and file explorers seem to work OK - result!

First time that I ran hwlister it tried to upload the .list file via ftp it failed with 'stalled' errors. I then went back to the DevStation and chmod'd 777 the /thinstation/build/boot-images/pxe folder.

Then hwlister ran without errors.

I then tried to run mkmachine <machine-name> but it fails saying that it cannot find the list file. I looked at the script and it appears to expect the uploaded files to be in the PXE folder. When I look in this folder the files are not there. I cannot find the files elsewhere either although I would be the first to admit that it is probably my lack of familiarity with Linux that is the most likely cause.

Can anyone help with resolving this issue so that I can move onto the next step of modifying the .conf's to create the build that I need.

Thankyou in advance.

Julian Robinson

Re: Problems with hwlister and mkmachine

Stephen Welch
On 08/07/2015 15:16, Julian Robinson (ICT Manager) wrote:
> I then tried to run mkmachine <machine-name> but it fails saying that it cannot find the list file. I looked at the script and it appears to expect the uploaded files to be in the PXE folder. When I look in this folder the files are not there. I cannot find the files elsewhere either although I would be the first to admit that it is probably my lack of familiarity with Linux that is the most likely cause.
>
> Can anyone help with resolving this issue so that I can move onto the next step of modifying the .conf's to create the build that I need
The build needs a folder called <machine-name>  in build/machine/ with
the appropriate files generated by using HWLISTER in there, for example
modules.list and firmware.list.

In the build.conf you add a entry ...

#machine m704                           # Gigabyte m704 Rover PC
#machine WYSE9150se                     # WYSE 9150se Thin Client
#machine NT-A3500                       # Foxconn AMD E-350 Barebone
#machine NT-535                         # Foxconn Intel D525 Barebone
#machine Dell-FX170                     # Dell FX170 D525 Atom Machine
#machine VMWare                         # A good set of modules for a
VmWare...
machine MyMachineName         #the info generated by HWlister

I build using checkout from git and chroot enviroment - but i think it
will be the same for you?

HTH

Stephen

Re: Problems with hwlister and mkmachine

Julian Robinson (ICT Manager)
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply. The problem that I am having appears to be the step before the one that you have described in that when I run hwlister.sh it runs to completion but no .list files are present on the DevStation in the PXE folder.

I am fairly sure that it is something on the DevStation end because if I redirect hwlister to another TFTP server the files are uploaded OK. I have then copied these around manually and then run mkmachine <machine-name> successfully to create a custom machine profile.

I have made sure that 'Toggle PXE read/write' from the DevStation menu is set OK as well as chmod 777 on the PXE directory (which fixed an earlier error of 'stalled' during tftp upload phase of hwlister).

I am trying to get the TFTP upload of the hwlister .list files back to the DevStation to work to avoid having to move the files around manually.

TIA

rgds

Julian Robinson

Re: Problems with hwlister and mkmachine

Stephen Welch-2
On 10/07/2015 12:51, Julian Robinson (ICT Manager) wrote:
> I am trying to get the TFTP upload of the hwlister .list files back to the DevStation to work to avoid having to move the files around manually.
I have never used this - I just copy the files manually by including ssh
server in my build and scp them to another server

See a copy and paste from an old thread by Mike Eriksen
----

OK, if your tftpd won't accept uploads hwlister will report failure.
However it didn't really fail, it did make the required files and you
can find them i /. On the client press ctrl-alt-F2, log in as root.
type "cd /" and then next "ls". copy the files to a USB stick (or
floppy or whatever) in /mnt/usbdevice/<something>.

Please note this is a one time only procedure.

Mike

-------

HTH

Re: Problems with hwlister and mkmachine

Julian Robinson (ICT Manager)
OK - Thankyou Stephen.

Julian Robinson