RE: Bad Cursor

Dave Sewell
Also had this, but only a couple of times. Restarted and ok. Never
really bothered about it. Not seen it since and no-one here has reported
it causing them any issues. Looks like it has only appeared in the newer
builds.

Dave

Message: 1
To: [hidden email]
From: [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 09:50:54 +0200
Subject: [Thinstation-general] Bad Cursor

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--=_alternative 002C0A1FC1257073_=

Hello,

I connect with my Thinstations direct to the Citrix Farm.
Sometimes I have an error message on the screen: "The X Request 2.0
caust=20
error:"6 Bad cursor"
When I reboot or reconnect the machines, they are connect to the
Citrix=20 Farm.
I can't isolate the problem.

Here is my configuration:

AUDIO=5FLEVEL=3D100
KEYBOARD=5FMAP=3Dde
#TIME=5FZONE=3D"UTC-2"
SYSLOG=5FSERVER=3Dlocal
USB=5FENABLED=3DOff
DAILY=5FREBOOT=3DOff
#AUTOPLAYCD=3DOn
CUSTOM=5FCONFIG=3DOff
RECONNECT=5FPROMPT=3DOff
SCREEN=3D0
WORKSPACE=3D1
AUTOSTART=3DOn
ICONMODE=3DAUTO

ICA=5FUSE=5FSERVER=5FKEYBOARD=3DOff
ICA=5FBROWSER=5FPROTOCOL=3DHTTPonTCP

ICA=5FENCRYPTION=3DBasic
ICA=5FCOMPRESS=3DOn
ICA=5FAUDIO=3DOn
ICA=5FAUDIO=5FQUALITY=3DLow
ICA=5FPRINTER=3DOn
ICA=5FSEAMLESS=5FWINDOW=3DOff
ICA=5FAPPLICATION=5FSET=3D"DesktopKH"

SESSION=5F0=5FSCREEN=3D1
SESSION=5F0=5FTYPE=3Dica
SESSION=5F0=5FICA=5FSERVER=3D10.40.1.25

SCREEN=5FRESOLUTION=3D"800x600"

X=5FNUMLOCK=3DOn

PRINTER=5F0=5FNAME=3D"parallel"
PRINTER=5F0=5FDEVICE=3D/dev/printers/0
PRINTER=5F0=5FTYPE=3DP

Mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen
Christian Hock

DRK-Blutspendedienst West
Institut Bad Kreuznach gGmbH
EDV
Burgweg 5 -7=20
D-55543 Bad Kreuznach
Tel.:+49 671 253511
--=_alternative 002C0A1FC1257073_=

size=3D2 face=3D"sans-serif">I connect with my Thinstations direct to
I have an error message on the screen: &quot;The X Request 2.0 caust
error:&quot;6 Bad cursor&quot;</f=
ont>
machi= nes, they are connect to the Citrix Farm.</font> <br><font
size=3D2 face=3D"sans-serif">I can't isolate the problem.</font> <br>
New">#TIME=5FZONE=3D&quot;UTC-2&quot;</f=
ont>
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New">WORKSPACE=3D1</font> <br><font size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New">AUTOSTART=3DOn</font> <br><font size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New">ICA=5FUSE=5FSERVER=5FKEYBOARD=3DOff=
New">ICA=5FBROWSER=5FPROTOCOL=3DHTTPonTC=
P</font>
New">ICA=5FAUDIO=5FQUALITY=3DLow</font>
New">ICA=5FSEAMLESS=5FWINDOW=3DOff</font>
New">ICA=5FAPPLICATION=5FSET=3D&quot;Des=
ktopKH&quot;</font>
New">SESSION=5F0=5FICA=5FSERVER=3D10.40.=
1.25</font>
New">SCREEN=5FRESOLUTION=3D&quot;800x600=
&quot;</font>
New">PRINTER=5F0=5FNAME=3D&quot;parallel=
&quot;</font>
New">PRINTER=5F0=5FDEVICE=3D/dev/printer=
s/0</font>
D-55543 Bad Kreuznach<br>
Tel.:+49 671 253511</font>
--=_alternative 002C0A1FC1257073_=--

--__--__--

Message: 2
Subject: RE: [Thinstation-general] Bad Cursor
Date:  Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:07:11 +0100
From: "Shotton Jolyon" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5B1F9.336A9177

At last someone else is getting this.  No help to you but some
consolation for me.
=20
It seems to happen (for me) when the Citrix server times out a session
and there's no window manager running.
=20
I have no idea what's causing it but it's a potential show stopper for
us and it's driving me up the wall.
=20
If I can confirm that having a ICEWM or BlackBox running stops it then
I'll have to go with that although it complicates the user interface
IMO.

RE: Bad Cursor

chock

Hi,

I think we have located the problem.
The error message is, when the Citrix Server times out a session and a Windows Screen Saver is running.
When I turn off the MS Screen Saver and the Citrix Server disconnect the session, the ThinClient reconnect without an errors

RE: RE: Bad Cursor

Shotton Jolyon
That would fit.

We have a requirement to lock the desktop if people are away from their
desks though so turning the screensaver off is probably not going to be
an option for us.

Can anyone confirm that running a window manager on SESSION_0 also
resolves this problem?

The error message is, when the Citrix Server times out a session and a
Windows Screen Saver is running.
When I turn off the MS Screen Saver and the Citrix Server disconnect the
session, the ThinClient reconnect without an errors

DISCLAIMER:
The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the recipient or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential information that is exempt from disclosure by law and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any act in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete from your system.
Whilst we make every effort to keep our network free from viruses, you need to verify that this email and any attachments are virus-free, as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of them.

RE: Bad Cursor

Dave Sewell
Not the case for us. We don't have screen savers on the Citrix Servers,
as they use to much CPU power for nothing...

Hi,

I think we have located the problem.
The error message is, when the Citrix Server times out a session and a
Windows Screen Saver is running.
When I turn off the MS Screen Saver and the Citrix Server disconnect the
session, the ThinClient reconnect without an errors

--=_alternative 001F10DBC1257074_=

face="sans-serif">I think we have located the problem.</font> <br><font
size=2 face="sans-serif">The error message is, when the Citrix Server
times out a session and a Windows Screen Saver is running.</font>
and the Citrix Server disconnect the session, the ThinClient reconnect
without an errors</font> <br> --=_alternative 001F10DBC1257074_=--

RE: Bad Cursor

chock

OK we turn off the MS Screen Saver too and configure the *.conf with SCREEN_BLANK_TIME=60
But is it possible to look the screen when the people are away from their desks?

RE: RE: Bad Cursor

Shotton Jolyon

> OK we turn off the MS Screen Saver too and
> configure the *.conf with SCREEN_BLANK_TIME=60
> But is it possible to look the screen when the
> people are away from their desks?

Yes.

Thinstation doesn't password protect its session (and you wouldn't want
that anyway - would be a configuration nightmare) so if the TS / Citrix
session doesn't lock then there's nothing to stop people doing what they
like with the session of an absent user.

DISCLAIMER:
The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the recipient or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential information that is exempt from disclosure by law and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any act in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete from your system.
Whilst we make every effort to keep our network free from viruses, you need to verify that this email and any attachments are virus-free, as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of them.

SV: RE: Bad Cursor

Klaus Bech Jensen
> Thinstation doesn't password protect its session (and you wouldn't
> want that anyway - would be a configuration nightmare) so if the
> TS / Citrix
> session doesn't lock then there's nothing to stop people
> doing what they
> like with the session of an absent user.

My solution to this problem was to force the Windows Logon screen saver on all users with a 4 minute timeout and password protection through a group policy on the server. Windows Logon only requires a minimum of processor time and connection bandwidth, so it was acceptable to me.

regards

Klaus Bech Jensen
IT-koordinator
Aaskov Kommune
Tlf. 99992300

RE: RE: Bad Cursor

richJ-3

An alternative as we dont allow screen savers on our Citrix servers, we
deploy an Icon to lock the workstation by executing the command
"rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation". Not automatic but if you want to
lock it you can!

RichJ

RichJ <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
> An alternative as we dont allow screen savers on our Citrix servers,
> we deploy an Icon to lock the workstation by executing the command
> "rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation". Not automatic but
> if you want to
> lock it you can!

Or you could set the server to disconnect people if idle more than X minutes...

regards

Klaus Bech Jensen
IT-koordinator
Aaskov Kommune
Tlf. 99992300

Re: RE: Bad Cursor

TechFan
Of course, you could just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del followed by ENTER (default
selected option is Lock Computer) to accomplish that.

RichJ wrote:

>An alternative as we dont allow screen savers on our Citrix servers, we
>deploy an Icon to lock the workstation by executing the command
>"rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation". Not automatic but if you want to
>lock it you can!
>
>RichJ

RE: RE: Bad Cursor

richJ-3

Good point !!! we were at the time using a mixture of NT4 clients made into
thin clients with autoadmin logon and autostarting internet explorer to the
citrix NFUSE webpage, CTRL+ALT+DEL would lock the local workstation so thats
why we had an Icon!

I did write a very small executable in VB that locks the workstation and
could be renamed as a .scr and used to secure a workstation, I have found
the source code and remade it, if its any use to anyone the 3k zip file of
everything is at http://www.rjdata.eclipse.co.uk/thinstation/lockws.zip I
have only every used it on Windows 2000 but it may be usefull to someone.

Regards,

RichJ.