Quantcast

Re: Firefox + PPP

nicoli-2

On 5 Sep 2005 at 19:40, Jason Meers wrote:

> I have a connection dialing up correctly and getting an address but I
> still have PAP/CHAP issues.

I connect using a chatscript...

> Nothing I have is ready for release but I'm happy to share it with
> you.
>
> Modem Support is best with a cdc_acm compliant device such as the:
>
> MultiModem ZBA - Fax / modem - external - USB - 56 Kbps - K56Flex,
> V.90 - (SF7282-23/02)
>
> I must have bought 7-8 modems trying to find one that would work.

I find that very unusual.  I never had a problem with any external modems
(not winmodems) being utilized on ttyS0-ttyS3, even when using one-floppy
linux distributions where the whole system occupies just 1-2MB of space.

Thanks for your help,
Nicoli

RE: Firefox + PPP

Jason Meers

I connect using a chatscript...

Please post me a sample of your chat script and I will try it.

> I must have bought 7-8 modems trying to find one that would work.

> I find that very unusual.  I never had a problem with any external modems
> (not winmodems) being utilized on ttyS0-ttyS3, even when using one-floppy
> linux distributions where the whole system occupies just 1-2MB of space.

I think the USB cdc_acm modems are the preferred type as serial port redirection is often needed in thin clients, which would mean:

A) You might not be able to use serial port redirection if you have serial devices connected localy.

B) If you do have serial port redirection enabled thinstation would expect all the devices to be connected at the server not the client.

This may not be important for yourself but others might rely on it.

Thanks

Jason Meers

Thanks for your help,
Nicoli

___________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.it

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by MessageLabs (inbound).

Re: Firefox + PPP

TechFan
How about working for internal modems??

On 6 Sep 2005 at 9:08, Jason Meers wrote:

> Please post me a sample of your chat script and I will try it.

OK. I actually use three files that are customized in order to connect
via PPP (in Slackware 10.1 and some minidistributions that are derived
from it). They are /etc/ppp/chatscript, /etc/ppp/options, and /etc/resolv.conf:

/etc/ppp/chatscript:

TIMEOUT 60
ABORT ERROR
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
"" "AT&F1M0"
OK "atdt(ISP phone number)"
TIMEOUT 75
CONNECT ""
ogin: (login name)
ssword: (login password)

/etc/ppp/options:

lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
modem
/dev/ttyS0
115200
crtscts
-detach
debug
passive
asyncmap 0

/etc/resolv.conf:

search .
nameserver (dns server 1)
nameserver (dns server 2)

> I think the USB cdc_acm modems are the preferred type as serial port
> redirection is often needed in thin clients, which would mean:
>
> A) You might not be able to use serial port redirection if you have
> serial devices connected localy.
>
> B) If you do have serial port redirection enabled thinstation would
> expect all the devices to be connected at the server not the client.
>
> This may not be important for yourself but others might rely on it.

There are no USB ports on the machines I plan to use
(they are old P1s) and I have a bunch of external
serial port modems. Do I need serial port redirection
on stand alone machines (nothing is attached to them
other than keyboard, mouse, monitor and external modem)?

So I assume I can disable serial port redirection and
use whatever is serially connected locally?

Thanks,
Nicoli
___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf _______________________________________________ Thinstation-general mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/thinstation-general

RE: Firefox + PPP

nicoli-2

Hi Jason, did you get to try my chat script?

Thanks,
Nicoli