Re: Via epia and Thinstation.

Mike Eriksen
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Rob Davis wrote:

> Mike Eriksen wrote:

[CUT]

>> Well, there are a couple of possible problems. First, you have to build
>> the image directly for the purpose. You can do this using TS-O-Matic, but
>> if you do have a Linux box yourself, that's the best way. Gives you max
>> control.
>>
> ?? is that part of the tar ball?

The tar ball is around 35 MB and contains everything needed to play with TS on
you local Linux box.

TS-O-Matic is a web interface to public TS servers. Here you can't change any
defaults (I really didn't understand your question. Hope this gets you along).

Only thing to do with the tar ball is to copy thinstation.conf.example as
thinstation.conf.buildtime manually and edit that one. Take another copy of
this file and name it thinstation.conf.user and put it on thinstation.profile
on the CF. Obviously the .user file can be edited to other settings than the
.buildtime contains.

Mike

>> First make a thinstation.conf.buildtime. This is done automatically on
>> TS-O-Matic. Next in this thinstation.conf.buildtime make sure to have:
>>
>> NET_USE_TFTP=Off
>> STORAGE_PATH=/mnt/disc/disc0/part1
>

> Okay, this looks like it's what I was after.
>

>> (valid for first partition on the first disk)
>>
>> On this disk have a directory named thinstation.profile that contains the
>> thinstation.conf.user file. Make it world readable.
>>
>> Note all the ts.conf files are the same but applied in a sequence. The
>> last one wins :-)
>>
>> You may want to set up a tftp server and pull the configs off that one
>> eventhough you boot from a CF. Makes everything *very* flexible. Requires
>>
>> NET_USE_TFTP=On
>> NET_ALTERNATE_TFTP=<ip>
>>

> Agreed, but apparently we can't have one.. :-(
>
> I am fairly confident with ltsp, so a lot of this is familiar.
>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Mike
>>

>>> Failing that, would you be able to sent me a version of what you use
>>> that I can edit slightly?
>>>
>>> Thanks...  (And here's hoping sourceforge starts working again.)
>>>
>>> (I'm fairly linux literate - if that helps..)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Latest news on http://www.streetcredo.org.uk/rob
>>>
>>> Rob Davis
>>>

> -- Latest news on http://www.streetcredo.org.uk/rob
>
> Rob Davis

-- Thinstation FAQ maintainer
http://thinstation.sourceforge.net
- a light, full featured linux based thin client OS