Remote Desktop Licenses - XFREERDP Session

Remote Desktop Licenses - XFREERDP Session

Motech09
Hello everyone,

Scenario; in our hospital we have around 300+ patient rooms and in each room I set up a thin client using Thinstation that goes directly to XFREERDP on startup.  XFREERDP then connects to our RD server(s) for a remote desktop.  According to our engineers a problem has spawned: the thinclients never can cache their RD license issued by the RD server and thus, after a thin client restarts/reboots it gains an additional new license on the RD server side since it is unable to use its original that was wiped out.

This is rinsed and repeated whenever power flickers or any restart of the thin client multiplied by 300+ thin clients and this adds up on the server end.

So, I guess my question is... can I somehow make the thin clients cache their RD license locally to their HD and use it when they restart? (hope this made sense...)

Re: Remote Desktop Licenses - XFREERDP Session

Don Cupp
So, you got a couple of options here, depending on your comfort/skill level/need for security.

1. You could set up a persistent home folder that would hold onto anything* downloaded or created by the user account.(low skill / high risk)

2. You could track and deploy the license per workstation with your own protocol/software/gizmo doohickey, a.k.a selective persistence(high skill / could end up anywhere on the risk scale)

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:57 AM, Motech09 <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This post was updated on .
On option #1, to make this happen would I have to touch each device?  Or can this just be a parameter/line added to the config file?  They all have their own config.device file in conjunction with the .host and .group config files so that would be simple if it was simply adding a line.

If not, then I could put together a new image, if required, with the persistent folder as you mentioned and then take an image of it and set that image down on all of the devices I suppose.  I will do some research on this and "selective persistence".

Option #2 might be a little outside of my skill range unless you can give me an example that I can try and grasp.

Thanks for responding.

Re: Remote Desktop Licenses - XFREERDP Session

Motech09
Also, could each device store its data onto the TFTP server instead of locally and then retrieve it back after reboot?  Is that what STORAGE_PATH= is for as shown in the below link? Or is that for thinstation config files only?  This method would probably be more preferred.

http://thinstation.4464.n7.nabble.com/persistent-TS-data-td2657.html