Screen resolution - background image

Koen Stoop

Hi,

I’m creating a Thinstation 5.4 image to reuse our old pc’s as Citrix clients.

I can’t figure out the following issue:

When the xfc4-session comes up, the background image on some type of client machines isn’t displayed correctly (big black vertical square and horizontal fine lines through the image).

I have no idea why the image is not rendered as it should, but after running the following command in a terminal the background image is displayed correctly;

#xfdesktop --reload

So if I execute the command after the xfve4-session has started, I think the problem is solved..

I created a refresh-screen.desktop in the /ts/build/packages/xfwm4/etc/xdg/autostart folder:

[Desktop Entry]

Version=1.0

Name=RefreshScreen

Comment=Refresh Screen

Exec=/bin/refreshscreen.sh

Icon=applications-system

Terminal=false

Type=Application

StartupNotify=false

OnlyShowIn=XFCE;

And refreshscreen.sh in the folder /ts/build/packages/xfwm4/bin

#!/bin/bash

until p=$(pidof xfdesktop)

do

  sleep 1

done

sleep 1

/bin/xfdesktop --reload &

But this does not work.

I did run hwlister.sh on all the 4 different types of computers we’re using, made 4 new machines (mkmachine) and enabled them in build.conf.

So all needed modules should be in the image.

# lshw -c video

  *-display

       product: 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

       vendor: Intel Corporation

       physical id: 2

       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0

       version: 02

       width: 32 bits

       clock: 33MHz

       capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom

       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

       resources: irq:16 memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:fc400000-fc47ffff ioport:14e0(size=8)

Any help would be appreciated.

Koen

Re: Screen resolution - background image

Don Cupp

Which xorg packages are you including in your build?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Re: Screen resolution - background image

Koen Stoop

Hi Don,

In my build.conf:

#!!X related

# --- XOrg 7.7

#package xorg7-v4l

package xorg7-vesa           #A fallback driver that works with almost everything. Does allow resolution changes

package xorg7-vmware

package xorg7-ati       #ATI video driver for most modern ATI chipsets. Usually requires several firmwares

package xorg7-nouveau        #New opensource nvidia driver

#package xorg7_nvidia        #Proprietary nvidia driver

#package xorg7_nvidia_64         # Additional 64bit module

package xorg7-openchrome     #Via Video Chipsets driver

package xorg7-intel          #Intel video driver for most modern chipsets except the GMA3500/3600

#package xorg7-sis

Thanks,

Koen

From:"Koen Stoop" <[hidden email]>
Date:Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 7:19 AM

[...]

       bus info: [hidden email]

       version: 02

       width: 32 bits

       clock: 33MHz

       capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom

       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

       resources: irq:16 memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:fc400000-fc47ffff ioport:14e0(size=8)

Any help would be appreciated.

Koen

Re: Screen resolution - background image

Don Cupp
If you manually run your script, does it work? Try putting in some logging, so that you know your script ran.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Koen Stoop" <<a rel="nofollow" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:koen.stoop@gondrand.be" target="_blank" href="javascript:return">koen.stoop@...>
Date:Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 7:19 AM

       bus info: <a rel="nofollow" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:pci@0000:00:02.0" target="_blank" href="javascript:return">pci@0000:00:02.0

       version: 02

       width: 32 bits

       clock: 33MHz

       capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom

       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

       resources: irq:16 memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:fc400000-fc47ffff ioport:14e0(size=8)

Any help would be appreciated.

Koen

Re: Screen resolution - background image

Koen Stoop

When I run it from a terminal it works

#/bin/refreshscreen.sh

Added logging  and it runs from the xfce4 autostart , but apparently not as the last script.

I tried to run the script from the packages/xfwm4/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc script after the xfce4-session is started, but that doesn't work either.

# run xfce4-session if installed

if which xfce4-session >/dev/null 2>&1; then

  # check if we start xfce4-session with ck-launch-session. this is only

  # required for starting from a console, not a login manager

  if test "x$XFCE4_SESSION_WITH_CK" = "x1"; then

    if which ck-launch-session >/dev/null 2>&1; then

      ck-launch-session xfce4-session

    else

      echo

      echo "You have tried to start Xfce with consolekit support, but"

      echo "ck-launch-session is not installed."

      echo "Aborted startup..."

      echo

      exit 1

    fi

  else

    # start xfce4-session normally

    xfce4-session

  fi

  # Refresh screen

  exec "/bin/refreshscreen.sh"

  exit 0

fi

Regards,

Koen

If you manually run your script, does it work? Try putting in some logging, so that you know your script ran.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Which xorg packages are you including in your build?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Re: Screen resolution - background image

Don Cupp
try adding this to packages/xfwm4/build/finalize
echo "/bin/refreshscreen.sh" >> /etc/skel/.xinitrc

we wait for the systray before we run .xinitrc

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:54 AM, Koen Stoop <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Adding

echo "/bin/refreshscreen.sh &" >> /etc/skel/.xinitrc

to packages/xfwm4/build/finalize , reloads the desktop. Problem solved.

Thanks you very much for your help.

Cheers,

Koen