Static IP specified in thinstation.conf.user

Static IP specified in thinstation.conf.user

Tom Duffy-2
Having searched, this has come up before, but never properly
answered.

According to the wiki:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/thinstation/index.php?title=Conf_Example#NO_dhcp_server

it looks to be possible to set the client to a static IP address:
e.g.
NET_USE_DHCP=Off
NET_IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.100
NET_MASK=255.255.255.0

in thinstation.conf.user,  and have that user file live on the
boot media (in my case a USB key, Intel D525MW motherboard)

The text notes:
"as the network on the workstation is restarted after reading all
thinstation.conf<whatever> files."

The example file for thinstation.conf.buildtime notes that
the NET_ options can only be specified in that file, and nowhere else.

In practice, this seems  to be true, I can't get the client
to get a static IP address specified from the USB key at boot time.

My usage scenario precludes DHCP, and static definition of the
IP address is required.
I know I have the config paths set correctly, as I can set the
NET_USE_DHCP to true in conf.buildtime and the client correctly
reads session info from the conf.user file on the USB key and starts the
required sessions (that aren't otherwise specified in conf.buildtime).

I am using 2.5b9, and have never used 2.2, so I don't know
whether the previous discussions were only for 2.2, or if it
is supposed to be possible to do local config static IP addresses.

Where can I start looking to add support for this if it isn't
currently possible?
If I start the client with no network, I can log in to the
terminal (ctrl+alt+F2) and run, e.g.
"ifconfig add 192.168.1.1" to bring the network up.
I could in theory write my own package that is run in session_0
that just reads a file from the media and runs this command, but
it seems that it should be something natively supported.

Tom.

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and its contents, including any attachments hereto (collectively, "this e-mail"), is hereby designated as "confidential and proprietary." This e-mail may be viewed and used only by the person to whom it has been sent and his/her employer solely for the express purpose for which it has been disclosed and only in accordance with any confidentiality or non-disclosure (or similar) agreement between TEAC Corporation or its affiliates and said employer, and may not be disclosed to any other person or entity.

Re: Static IP specified in thinstation.conf.user

Don Cupp
There is another way. I have stated this before, but not for your specific application.

Any thinstation variable can be passed in the kernel command line, so you can edit the syslinux.cfg file and set these variable there.

Re: Static IP specified in thinstation.conf.user

Tom Duffy-2
Awesome, that works great; adding NET_IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.100, etc
to the kernel command line in syslinux.cfg

Thanks,
Tom.

Don Cupp wrote:
There is another way. I have stated this before, but not for your
specific application.
Any thinstation variable can be passed in the kernel command line, so
you can edit the syslinux.cfg file and set these variable there.

Re: Static IP specified in thinstation.conf.user

miaozilong
but how to add "NET_IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.100, etc "
to the kernel command line in syslinux.cfg

i'm the new one  to thinstation
who can tell me
or send the answer to miao.zilong@qq.com
 thanks .

adding NET_IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.100, etc
to the kernel command line in syslinux.cfg
Tom Duffy-2 wrote