Quantcast

Static IP.

Lukers
I’ve successfully configured an image to boot from an ISO but I’m struggling to get a static IP address assigned. I add the following changes to my build.conf file with no luck. When I enter the console and check messages the image is still trying to DHCP an address. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
NET_USE_DHCP=Off
NET_IP_ADDRESS=192.168.0.1
NET_MASK=255.255.255.0
NET_GATEWAY=192.168.0.254
NET_DHCP_DELAY=30
NET_FILE_ENABLED=Off
NET_DNS1=192.168.0.2

Re: Static IP.

Don Cupp
That should go into thinstation.conf.buildtime . That becomes the default set of variables that TS will run with.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, April 15, 2017, 8:18 AM, Luke Whittington <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’ve successfully configured an image to boot from an ISO but I’m struggling to get a static IP address assigned. I add the following changes to my build.conf file with no luck. When I enter the console and check messages the image is still trying to DHCP an address. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
NET_USE_DHCP=Off
NET_IP_ADDRESS=192.168.0.1
NET_MASK=255.255.255.0
NET_GATEWAY=192.168.0.254
NET_DHCP_DELAY=30
NET_FILE_ENABLED=Off
NET_DNS1=192.168.0.2

Re: Static IP.

Steve Waldner-2
Do you have control over your DHCP server? If so, create a reservation for the address.

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 13, 2017, at 4:14 PM, Luke Whittington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve successfully configured an image to boot from an ISO but I’m struggling to get a static IP address assigned. I add the following changes to my build.conf file with no luck. When I enter the console and check messages the image is still trying to DHCP an address. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> NET_USE_DHCP=Off
> NET_IP_ADDRESS=192.168.0.1
> NET_MASK=255.255.255.0
> NET_GATEWAY=192.168.0.254
> NET_DHCP_DELAY=30
> NET_FILE_ENABLED=Off
> NET_DNS1=192.168.0.2

Re: Static IP.

Lukers
This post was updated on .
Sorry, I was not clear. I'm placing those changes in the buildtime file. They don't seem to be taking effect. Is there another config setting required to disable dhcp? Other settings are taking effect so I know the file is being read. Just seems like the dhcp flag isn't being applied. No dhcp server is available and this is a one off solution so I'm hesitant to configure a dhcp server for a single host. Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Static IP.

Lukers
Below is my thinstation.conf.buildtime file.

I'm building this and uploading the ISO to a datastore on ESXi5.5. The ISO is mounted to a VM configured for "other linux 2.6". 8GB RAM, no disk, 2 cores, 1 NIC.   When I boot; the image is still trying to DHCP an address. Sorry for the slow responses. I'm trying to integrate this with a different team so my access to the build environment is limited.  Also as an FYI, I attempted the same config with VMware Fusion and had the same failure attempting to get a static IP address to work.

**************Start of thinstation.conf.buildtime************************
AUDIO_LEVEL=90
MIC_LEVEL=0
SESSION_0_TYPE=xfwm4
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=on
XFWM4_COMPOSITING=true
XFWM4_BRIGHTNESS="-33"
XFWM4_RED=0
XFWM4_GREEN=0
XFWM4_BLUE=0
XFWM4_START_POSITION="BOTTOM"
DESKTOP_ICON_SIZE=48
DESKTOP_FONT_SIZE=8
DESKTOP_SHOWTRASH=false
DEKSTOP_SHOWHOME=false
DESKTOP_SHOWREMOVEABLE=true
DESKTOP_SHOWFILESYSTEM=false
GTK_THEME=Xfce
XFWM4_THEME=Default
PANEL_PAGER=false
PANEL_USER=false
PANEL_REV_CLOCKSYSTRAY=true
ICONS_THEME="gnome"
ICONS_CUT_SIZES="256x256 scalable"
XTERM_CMD="xfce4-terminal"
NET_USE=LAN
NET_USE_DHCP=Off
NET_IP_ADDRESS=192.168.0.1
NET_MASK=255.255.255.0
NET_GATEWAY=192.168.0.254
#NET_DHCP_DELAY=30
NET_FILE_ENABLED=Off
NET_DNS1=192.168.0.2
#NET_DNS2=192.168.0.3
NET_DNS_SEARCH=cartoons.org.nz
NET_HOSTNAME=ts_*
NET_TELNETD_ENABLED=ON
TIME_ZONE=America/Los_Angeles
NET_TIME_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org
NET_REMOTE_ACCESS_FROM="0.0.0.0"
TFTP_BLOCKSIZE=1024
BIND_MOUNT0="storage:/mnt/storage"
STORAGE_CONFIG1=/mnt/storage
USB_STORAGE_SYNC=on
LOCALE=en_US
MOUNT_0="LABEL=boot     /boot           auto    x-mount.mkdir,defaults  0       0"
MOUNT_1="LABEL=home     /root           auto    x-mount.mkdir,defaults  0       0"
MOUNT_2="LABEL=swap     swap            swap    defaults        0       0"
SET_RESOLUTION_MULTIMONITOR_EXPAND='mirror'
SET_RESOLUTION_MULTIMONITOR_AUTOSCALE='scale'
**************End of thinstation.conf.buildtime*************************

Re: Static IP.

Lukers
Sorry for the slow response, wanted to be sure no further assistance was required. Autonet worked like a champ and my one off thinstation appliance is working wonderfully. Thanks for the support.

Re: Static IP.

Michael K-2
Network Manager supports both IPv6 and IPv4 addressing, which I'm not sure autonet does.
As a result, the configuration options are different, such as NET_IPV4_ADDRESS or NET_IPV4_GATEWAY.
autonet is probably best for a static configuration anyway.