System crash if right-click-paste in MS Office 2010 App

System crash if right-click-paste in MS Office 2010 App

Wegener, Stefan (SAZ-DE)
Hello everyone,

I have a strange problem with our Thinstation 5.3 clients. When hovering over the "Paste"-symbol in MS Office 2010 applications on Windows Server 2003 Desktop over Citrix Receiver the systems crash.

We use Thinstation clients to open a single Published Application Desktop from our Citrix 4.5 Farm on Windows Server 2003 SP2. This works very nicely, the systems boot up well and the Cirtrix connection starts up right away.

The users can work flawless with the desktop just until they paste a screenshot or copied text into any MS Office 2010 application via the "right-click-menu" and hover over the "Paste"-symbol. The system just crashes without any further notice. Sometimes the system doesn't crash right away but at the third or fourth hovering.
I have searched the logs on the clients and the servers for any entries but couldn't find anything regarding the crash. This problem only happens to the machines with Thinstation on it. Fat-Clients or other Thin-Clients (DELL WYSE) are unaffected so it's not a server issue. Using the "right-click-menu" in other applications works fine.

My guess is that it is a driver's issue but I don't know which one to use. I have tried "xorg7intel" and "xorg7vesa" but that made no difference.

The systems we use are "Dell Optiplex 390 SFF" with Intel G840 CPU on an Intel HM6x Chipset.

Here is what "lshw" shows about the system:

    product: OptiPlex 390
    vendor: Dell Inc.
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
*-core
       product: 0F6X5P
       vendor: Dell Inc.
       physical id: 0
       version: A00
*-firmware
       vendor: Dell Inc.
       physical id: 0
       version: A01
*-display
       product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 09
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

I built the Thinstation with the following modules loaded that I got from "hwlister.sh":

cat /module.list
module sd_mod
module ata_generic
module pata_acpi
module x86_pkg_temp_thermal
module coretemp
module i915
module kvm-intel
module kvm
module crc32-pclmul
module dcdbas
module ata_piix
module psmouse
module libata
module crc32c-intel
module i2c-algo-bit
module microcode
module drm_kms_helper
module serio_raw
module drm
module tpm_tis
module r8169
module scsi_mod
module tpm
module i2c-i801
module mei-me
module mii
module lpc_ich
module parport_pc
module mfd-core
module shpchp
module mei
module intel-gtt
module parport
module video
module aufs

The "hwlister.sh" didn't create any "vbemodes.list" or "firmware.list" files.

If anyone has got any advice or suggestion I would really appreciate the help. Thank you in advance!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best regards

Stefan Wegener
IT-Administrator
SAZ Services GmbH
mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.saz.com
SAZ Services GmbH - Gutenbergstr. 1-3 - 30823 Garbsen

Re: System crash if right-click-paste in MS Office 2010 App

Don Cupp
I hate to pidgeon hole this, but 5.4 has a completely updated Xorg over 5.3. It also has a newer kernel, not to mention the fact that I have forgotten all the idiosyncrasies of that version. You could drop a lot of those wonky useless modules too.
module x86_pkg_temp_thermal
module coretemp
module kvm-intel
module kvm
module dcdbas
module crc32c-intel
module i2c-algo-bit
module microcode
module serio_raw
module tpm_tis
module tpm
module i2c-i801
module mei-me
module lpc_ich
module mfd-core
module shpchp
module mei
module intel-gtt

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:56 AM, "Wegener, Stefan (SAZ-DE)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

      bus info: [hidden email]:00:02.0
[...]

Hello Don Cupp,

thank you for your reply.

I started a new Devstation with Thinstation 5.4 from the git repository. I also created a new build.conf from scratch and got rid from those unnecessary modules. But the crash is still there.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best regards

Stefan Wegener
IT-Administrator