Quantcast

TS deployment question

emuhuron
Okay,  I'm about to deploy the TS image I've completed.  I have a question about going from one type of image to another.  Is it possible to deploy in a PXE image that could grab a Syslinux image on the next regular system reboot (without PXE)?  I.E., deploy a version 1 or 1.1 (pxe) that, on next standard reboot, sees a version 2.0 (syslinux) on the server that replaces the the related files?  If so, what files would be effected by this change?  All files or just one or two?  I would like to eliminate not having to physically go to every system to deploy this image if possible.

Additionally, I'd like to get a better understanding of HDUpdate and the related conf files.  I have found the basic structure for thinstation.hosts.example.  If "param defaultconfig" is preset to   "thinstation.conf.buildtime" in build.conf, doesn't that override all the other thinstation.conf.<network,group,etc..> files.  If so, then I wouldn't I need to alter "param defaultconfig" to "thinstation.conf.group-A" or "thinstation.conf.network"?

Here's the example I found for the hosts file:
# You can have any amount of spaces/tabs between names
# HOST MAC GROUPS COMMENTS
thinstation1 000103014152 samba netprinter # Donald Ducks Computer
thinstation2 001003041125 samba # Daffy Ducks Computer
thinstation3 411250010030 netprinter # Goofy's Computer

Where can I see good examples of the other files?  Some of the examples of the other files appeared to just be versions of thinstation.conf.buildtime.  I know I'd like to use the group file to control network updates.  Does the thinstation.hosts file hold the list of every Host and MAC on network with the Group field pointed the related MAC to look for the related thinstation.conf.group-A sitting next to it in the same folder.  AND, thinstation.conf.group-A is just another copy of thinstation.conf.buildtime just with the group-A extension?

Brian Koch

Re: TS deployment question

Don Cupp
I don't think any mechanism is currently developed in TS to help you migrate from one deployment type to another. hdupdate and update-initrd, will both work with the linux components, but they will not update the bootloader. It's not really that hard to write a script that would do what you want though. It would take me maybe a day to rough out an installer that chained off of a PXE to put down a SYSLINUX image.

param defaultconfig just names the buildtime file to use during build, and thus what is the base configuration of an image. Subsequent confs will take priority at runtime.

On Monday, December 5, 2016 7:24 AM, Brian Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Don, thank you.  When and how does TS grab an updated image?  Does it see the update while the pc is on, download it and install/replace on next boot?  Or, does it see the update during the initial boot and perform the install during the boot?

For the subsequent confs, what is order of preference?  If TS.conf.buildtime is essentially at the bottom of the pile for future updates, how do the other conf updates react with it?  Does the original buildtime get over-written?  Does TS read both confs (say buildtime and network) but the session commands in conf.network take precedence?  If so, which file takes priority in future updates (say, conf.group versus conf.network)?  My concern is that I could have both a group and network file sitting side-by-side on the server down the road and accidentally change a key setting

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.