Thinclient HDD Installation Help

MikeAW2010
Hi.
I am in need of help trying to install my thinclient (I already created the ISO and syslinux files from thinstation). Thing is, I have never used Linux before. I am hearing I need to use syslinux but don't understand how to.

I have a Windows 7 Laptop, I would much prefer to dualboot between my Windows 7 and Thinclient if this is possible.

I have already partitioned my Hard Drive and assigned a drive letter but am afraid of making it active as I will likely lose the ability to boot to Windows 7 thus locking me out of my computer. I don't currently have a USB thumbdrive. Is there any way I can download this directly to my partitioned HDD and get it to boot? or what do I need to do?

Re: Thinclient HDD Installation Help

thinstation-general mailing list
I wish I could provide more help, but setting up dual boot is pain, and way out of the scope of the TS project. Syslinux.org SYSLINUX - Syslinux Wiki

Should have sufficient amounts of info. Once you have a syslinux configuring worked out for your dualboot scenario, you can place the vmlinuz, initrd and lib.squash(if it exists) on that partition.

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:01 AM, MikeAW2010 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.
I am in need of help trying to install my thinclient (I already created the
ISO and syslinux files from thinstation). Thing is, I have never used Linux
before. I am hearing I need to use syslinux but don't understand how to.

I have a Windows 7 Laptop, I would much prefer to dualboot between my
Windows 7 and Thinclient if this is possible.

I have already partitioned my Hard Drive and assigned a drive letter but am
afraid of making it active as I will likely lose the ability to boot to
Windows 7 thus locking me out of my computer. I don't currently have a USB
thumbdrive. Is there any way I can download this directly to my partitioned
HDD and get it to boot? or what do I need to do?

Re: Thinclient HDD Installation Help

MikeAW2010
This post was updated on .
yeah, after extensive research its going to be a bit of a headache. I was kind of wondering how dual hard-drives would work in such a situation, whats upsetting is that I really don't want to use my entire 500GB harddrive for a 500MB OS ..

Following the WiKi, what method of installation of syslinux should I chose? DOS or Linux? See thing is I've never used syslinux before and don't understand what it is or what its intended for.

If I PXE Boot, will I still lose my Windows OS? If so, I am thinking of just going with a USB Boot..