Thinstation 5.5.1 + vmware horizon client - audio problem

Thinstation 5.5.1 + vmware horizon client - audio problem

J.T.
Hi all,
i have a strange problem with last Thinstation.
I installed clear Thinstation 5.5.1, added horizon view client 4.2 (but i had same behaviour with version 3.5) a made pxe image with parameter --allmodules.
So, I booted image from network, logged in and played music. Perfect!
I disconnected, reconnected and no sound. Strange!
I disconnected, reconnected and music was back again. Wow!
So I disconnected, reconnected and there was the sound of silence. ???
And etc.
I tried two different hardware configuration (HP, Acer) with same behaviour.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
Jan

Re: Thinstation 5.5.1 + vmware horizon client - audio problem

emuhuron
JT, you didn't identify if this is usb or mini audio jack.  I had similar problem with vmviewpcoip package with a usb webcam/microphone.  The latest VMWare install is using RTAV (Vmware hz client v6 I think).   I had to create a config file in the \vmviewpcoip\etc\vmware directory.  In the config file, I had rtav settings and split devices.

Review:  https://www.vmware.com/pdf/horizon-view/horizon-client-linux-document.pdf

I also have line to a library in \vmviewpcoip\etc\vmware\vdp\host_overlay_plugins\config:
"/usr/lib/pcoip/vchan_plugins/libvdpservice.so"  (no quotes in file).  That may have already been there though.

I also have Session_1_VMware_Audio_Level=100 in my Thinstation buildtime file

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM, J.T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
i have a strange problem with last Thinstation.
I installed clear Thinstation 5.5.1, added horizon view client 4.2 (but i had same behaviour with version 3.5) a made pxe image with parameter --allmodules.
So, I booted image from network, logged in and played music. Perfect!
I disconnected, reconnected and no sound. Strange!
I disconnected, reconnected and music was back again. Wow!
So I disconnected, reconnected and there was the sound of silence. ???
And etc.
I tried two different hardware configuration (HP, Acer) with same behaviour.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
Jan

Re: Thinstation 5.5.1 + vmware horizon client - audio problem

J.T.
Hi Brian,
it is 3.5 audio jack, I have no usb device to try but i believe it is similar problem.
Thanks for suggestion, i will try it tomorrow.
Jan

[...]

Today i tried to add Session_1_VMware_Audio_Level=100 to my buildtime file and checked the library libvdpservice.so but there was no effect on sound. I have red the linux horizon client paper and i am not sure what to write into config file. My only device is sound card audio out through 3.5 jack.
Any other advice?
Jan

[...]

There is a 2nd lower config file:  /build/packages/vmviewpcoip/etc/vmware/vdp/host_overlay_plugins.  If this isn't there, put this SINGLE line in it and save:

"/usr/lib/pcoip/vchan_plugins/libvdpservice.so"  without the quotes

The other mistake you could have is that you have to is that you AUDIO=100 at the top of your Thinstation.conf.buildtime.  That may come in to play

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 10:14 AM, J.T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That config file you mentioned in your first response (/build/packages/vmviewpcoip/etc/vmware/vdp/host_overlay_plugins) i checked today and it was already exist with the line you wrote about.
About AUDIO=100 - if i understand, it has to be on the top buildtime config file (not on the second place for example). I am at home now, but i am sure it is already in the config file, but i dont know (now) what position.
It is very strange every odd attempt (1.,3.,5.,etc) to reconnect vm has no problem with sound.
Jan

[...]

JT, sorry, partially distracted with my own Thinstation headache.  I have in my THinstation.conf.buildtime:

SESSION_1_VMVIEW_AUDIO_LEVEL=100
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_MIC_LEVEL=100  # usb Webcam mic

And, in my /build/packages/vmviewpcoip/etc/vmware/config file  (for a usb webcam)

viewusb.ALLOWAUTODEVICESPLITTING="true"
rtav.srcAudioInId="FULL HD 1080P Webcam Analog Stereo"
rtav.IsDisabled="0"
rtav.srcWCamFrameRate="30"
rtav.srcWCamFrameWidth="320"
rtav.srcWCamFrameHeight="240"
rtav.srcWCamId="FULL HD 1080P Webcam"

With the introduction of RTAV, you may need to update at the server and configure there first.  RTAV is now built into Horizon package.  For your 3.5 jack, you may need a line like the following in it:  rtav.audio-out="true" in the above vmware/config file... HOWEVER, I doubt that since that appears to be more of a passing usb-device thing in Chapter 6 in the pdf link I sent you.

I did have something like SESSION_1_VMVIEW_AUDIO_OUT=True at one point.  Audio out has never been a problem for me.  PC I'm using has a built-in speaker. You may need to add the VolumeIcon app and set volume to 100. I would turn on Alsa, pulseaudio, gstreamer and pavucontrol.  Maybe one of those is running in the background.  Off the wall thought, build your machine profile with the speakers plugged in.  This shouldn't be the issue.  But, it could rule it out.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 11:00 AM, J.T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brian, with you great help i finally succeeded. I don't know what setting you recommended me did the job but it plays again and again now. Tomorrow i am going to try cutting and i am curious what was the trick.
Thank you very much.
Jan

[...]

JT, you are welcome. I believe it'll be both the audio out in the buildtime file with the session# audio out.

On a side note, if you feel like helping me to check on my problem please look up my issue.  Currently, I am trying to use VMware and Firefox in my thinstation. I do not pxe boot.  The PC boots up to the thinstation environment, then the user decides they want to use VMware or Firefox depending on what they want to do. Firefox works fine but only from the start menu. The icons on the desktop are dead. And, vmware no longer shows up now that I'm using xfwm4 as my session 0.  The icon showed up if I use icewm.   but, we determined that environment not to be advantageous with our users. My Session 1, is VMware. I do not get the VMware application now anywhere in my system. I only get a dead text file. Can't open it can't right click it.  If you have working shortcuts on your desktop, if you could provide some insight for me that would be great. I'm wondering what your VMware nodesktop variable is set to.  Are you using icewm or xfwm4?

On Nov 10, 2016 10:51 AM, "J.T." <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Don Cupp
Brian, did you drop Thunar from your xfwm4 build?

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:09 AM, Brian Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Training and support from Colfax.