Thinstation - Adding Packages - Java Program

Thinstation - Adding Packages - Java Program

Motech09
Hello everyone,

I am currently attempting to put together some PCs that will be dedicated time clocks for employees.  The time clocks will use the AS/400 system via XTN5250 (java) and automatically launch XTN5250 on boot up (or at least that is my dream).

Problem is, I do not know where to drop the XTN5250.jar file so it will be included in the thin client's image.  I also have a script that I created for the emulator and need to add it into the image as well and auto launch --- this script will kick off XTN5250.

I have found the package folder where you add programs to be included in the image but JAVA programs are simply one .JAR file.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Motech09

Re: Thinstation - Adding Packages - Java Program

Michael K-2
Create a directory under build packages, say xtn5250 with a bin directory containing your script and a lib/xtn5250 directory where you drop the jar file.  Have your script run java -jar <path to jar>.  Also add a dependencies file with one line saying java to make sure java is included.
Look at the volumeicon package build/finalize file, where it modifies the xinitrc to autostart the application when the desktop comes up.  If you're more adventurous, you can make a file in /etc/xdg/autostart instead if using XFCE for desktop.
Finally, add 'package xtn5250' to build.conf to make sure it's included when you make your image.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Motech09 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael,

This is EXCELLENT information and really nudges me into the right direction with my end goal.

Question regarding the last line about adding 'package xtn5250' to the build.conf; you only do this if an actual apt-get option for the program actually exist, correct? I had to download this JAVA program directly from the developer's site and not a repository.