Thinstation Installer Disc Server - ssh access

Thinstation Installer Disc Server - ssh access

Axel Huizinga
Hi,
(sorry first time sent from another email address)
after setting up a build server on a vm running on proxmox  with the TS-5.2.2-Installer-0516.iso
I wonder how it might be possible to add software to the root environment.
Particularly I am looking for dropbear for ssh access.

I have been able to get ssh access after starting the build environment but then I can't access the build
console via ssh directly since there is already a session.

Is there a way run the build environment automatically on boot in a way which allows me to
connect to this session via ssh?

Axel

Re: Thinstation Installer Disc Server - ssh access

Don Cupp
By default, the devastation image has a very guessable password 'pleasechangeme', and the telnet service is enabled. Switching to ssh does not really help all that much when you password can be guessed. If you actually want to secure the devastation image, you will need to rebuild it.

cd /build
(save your previous configs)
cp conf/devstation/* .
edit build.conf and enable sshd and change the root password.
(save and exit)
./build --allmodules

Then from a regular shell update-initrd -l

Am 05.06.2014 16:26, schrieb Don Cupp:
By default, the devastation image has a very guessable password 'pleasechangeme', and the telnet service is enabled. Switching to ssh does not really help all that much when you password can be guessed. If you actually want to secure the devastation image, you will need to rebuild it.

cd /build
(save your previous configs)
cp conf/devstation/* .
edit build.conf and enable sshd and change the root password.
(save and exit)
./build --allmodules

Then from a regular shell update-initrd -l

Thanks - that's very helpful.
I just noticed the pxe boot directory is served over http as well.
How could I tell thinstation to get the config files over http?

Axel

http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

Re: Thinstation Installer Disc Server - ssh access

Don Cupp
You could use

NET_FILE_METHOD=wget

to retrieve files via http instead of tftp or scp

Am 06.06.2014 17:34, schrieb Don Cupp:
You could use

NET_FILE_METHOD=wget

to retrieve files via http instead of tftp or scp

great - how would I be able to fetch them with scp?

another issue now - after adding some ports
linphone mc htop ...

which all installed and run fine

however the build now tells us:

Package: mc
Not Found mc!!
Package: htop
Not Found htop!!

and many of:
Could not find libz.so.1 !
Could not find libpcre.so.0 !
Could not find libLLVM-3.4.so !

which is really weird since all these libs are where they should be?

[...]

edit /ts/etc/prt-get.conf. This is the file that is copied over to /etc each time you enter the chroot. This so that sysup does not kill your prt-get.conf. It's safe in /ts/etc.

Those are both standard libs. I'm suprised you would ever see that error. Please desrcibe how you made your build.conf, thinstation.conf.buildtime, and what steps do you use to build?

On Friday, June 6, 2014 2:45 PM, Axel Huizinga <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 06.06.2014 22:25, schrieb Don Cupp:
NET_FILE_METHOD=scp

There is two sides of TS. The raw ports side, which handles getting everything compiled. Then there is the build side that takes packages(striped ports) and puts them into an image. The build side of things is actually where most of the thining takes place. It's where we work out what really needs to be in the package from the port.

You can get started by doing

repackage mc
this went fine so far but for linphone we get:
[root@TS_chroot]/usr/ports/pitillo/linphone# prt-get depinst linphone
package linphone is installed

[root@TS_chroot]/usr/ports/pitillo/linphone# repackage linphone
Package 'linphone' not found

also the line :
prtdir /usr/ports/pitillo
always is removed again - so every start of the build side seems to overwrite etc/prt-get.conf
now I edited it while the build env was open and voila
repackage linphone
run without errors
what's the correct way to make sure etc/prt-get.conf will be preserved between build sessions and not overwritten?

Also we still get the complaints about:
Could not find libz.so.1 !
Could not find libpcre.so.0 !

what could be the reason the build process doesn't find them though they still are there?

That will make a basic package from a port. You still have to work out deps, removing uncommon extra files and doing any init process's that the package may require.