Quantcast

Thinstation autologon to Vmware

emuhuron
I'm having trouble adding an extra icon to my thinstation desktop.  This icon is generated from thinstation.conf-MACaddress.  I can get the icon to appear.  I cannot get it to auto-logon once double-clicked.  I've tried adding session variables that I think are needed to feed the username and password to the login fields.  It hasn't worked.  Even if the string below is in the Command box properties of the icon, it still doesn't auto-login with a known generic user-id.  Any ideas on how to get VMWare to take the username and password I've provided for the session?

SESSION_5_TITLE="Auto login to VMWare"
SESSION_5_TYPE=vmview
#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_disableMaximizeApp=TRUE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_sendCtrlAltDelToVM=TRUE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_sendCtrlAltInsToVM=TRUE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_NOMENUBAR=TRUE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_NONINTERACTIVE=true

#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_userName=user-id
#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_password=user-pw
#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_defaultUser=user-id
#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_defaultPassword=user-pw
#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_USERNAME=user-id
#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_PASSWORD="user-pw

SESSION_5_VMVIEW_defaultDomain="mydomain.com"
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_defaultUser=user-id
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_defaultPassword=user-pw
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_autConnectDesktop=TRUE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_desktopName="Dept_Name"
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_logInAsCurrentUser=FALSE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_unAttended=TRUE

#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_OPTIONS="--kioskLogin=true --logInAsCurrentUser=false -q -u "user-id" -p "user-pw" --domainName=mydomain.com --unAttended --desktopName="Dept_Name" "

#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_connectUSBonStartup=true
#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_connnectUSBonInsert=true
SESSION_5_AUTOSTART=off
SESSION_5_ICON=ON

Thanks,

Brian K

Re: Thinstation autologon to Vmware

emuhuron
Forgot to add:  Neither username nor password are being put in the login boxes.  That's my actual issue.

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Brian Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Okay, I figured out where the issue is at.  The icon placed on the TS desktop has the following in the Command line box:

pkg fullscreen vmview "Thursday 2" "--userName=gen_userid"

The "Thursday 2" is just the Session_5_Title.  When I run the application from this icon, my_userid is not in the Username field.  If I remove "Thursday 2" from the command line box, then the application works as it's supposed to.

Where in TS is this command line being created?  I need to alter the code so that the icon title is not in the command line field.  What would I change so that the icon title isn't used in the command line box?

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Brian Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael K-2
You're passing an invalid option to vmware from your conf.  If one of them is wrong, I think all of them are ignored.  A lot of what you're setting via SESSION_5_VMWARE* doesn't map to a valid command line argument.

All your options are collected into a file: ~/.vmware/<Title>.vdm  aka Thursday_2.vdm (note spaces replaced with _).  This is done in /etc/init.d/vmview.init.
pkg fullscreen vmview calls the contents of /etc/cmd/vmview.global and passes your server and options, so basically resolves to calling:
  /bin/run_vmview --fullscreen --userName=<blah> <title>.vdm

So basically, if Thursday_2.vdm has one garbage argument in it, it won't work.

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Brian Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael K, I would agree with the issue of passing a bad argument except that during my testing prior to contacting the group, I reduced the SESSION_5_VMWARE* settings to just --userName and --password.  It still didn't pass it to the shortcut.

So, I started using the Session_5_VMWARE_OPTIONS line.  That is actually passing the values to the Command line box of the shortcut properties.  But, it's also adding the icon VMWARE_TITLE value to the Command line box and screwing up the application from working:

' pkg fullscreen vmview "Thursday 2" "--username=gen_userid --password=gen_passwd" ' is what's showing in the Command line box.  If I remove "Thursday 2" from the line it works.

To compare, I have another VMARE shortcut on the same system (Session 1) with NO options.  In it's command line box in the shortcut properties, is:

pkg fullscreen vmview "VMWare"... VMWare is not valid variable to pass to the command line there either.

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Michael K <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Don had replied stating that I might change the xfwm4 script for icon generation.  I have a couple Firefox shortcuts on my desktops.  They are using the script generation properly although it is generating.  One of their Command lines reads as follows:  pkg fullscreen firefox "server.myplace.com:8888/script.cc" ""  Michael/Don, note the empty 2nd set of quotes.

Employee_Desktop.vmd   Command (line/box in propertiers): vmview "Employee_Desktop" ""  ** Michael/Don, note the empty 2nd set of quotes.  It has the icon name in the first set of quotes and doesn't do anything.
Thursday_2.vmd               Command (line/box in propertiers): pkg fullscreen vmview "Thursday_2" "--userName=gen_userid --password=gen_pw"  **Michael/Don, if I remove the "Thursday_2 from the command box, then the script opens properly.

SESSION_1_TITLE="Employee Dessktop"
SESSION_1_TYPE=vmview
VMVIEW_DEFAULT_BROKER=servername.myplace.com
VMVIEW_SSLVERIFMODE=3
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_disableMaximizedApp=TRUE
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_sendCtrlAltDelToLocal=TRUE
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_sendCtrlAltDelToVM=TRUE
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_NOMENUBAR=false
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_NONINTERACTIVE=true
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_DOMAINNAME=myplace.com
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_connectUSBOnStartup=true
SESSION_1_VMVIEW_connectUSBOnInsert=true
SESSION_1_AUTOSTART=off
SESSION_1_ICON=ON
SESSION_5_TITLE="Thursday 2"
SESSION_5_TYPE=vmview
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_disableMaximizeApp=TRUE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_sendCtrlAltDelToVM=TRUE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_sendCtrlAltInsToVM=TRUE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_NOMENUBAR=TRUE
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_NONINTERACTIVE=true
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_connectUSBOnStartup=true
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_connectUSBOnInsert=true

SESSION_5_VMVIEW_DOMAINNAME="myplace.com"
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_userName=user-id
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_password=user-pw
#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_autoConnectDesktop=TRUE
#SESSION_5_VMVIEW_SERVER=servername.myplace.com
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_desktopName="Dept_Name"
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_logInAsCurrentUser=FALSE

SESSION_5_VMVIEW_OPTIONS="--username="user-id" --password="user-pw" "

SESSION_5_AUTOSTART=off
SESSION_5_ICON=ON

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 4:51 PM, Michael K <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Don Cupp
packages/base/etc/init.d/session line 70

On Monday, April 17, 2017 7:32 AM, Brian Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Don had replied stating that I might change the xfwm4 script for icon generation.  I have a couple Firefox shortcuts on my desktops.  They are using the script generation properly although it is generating.  One of their Command lines reads as follows:  pkg fullscreen firefox "<a rel="nofollow" shape="rect" target="_blank" onclick="return window.theMainWindow.showLinkWarning(this)" href="http://server.myplace.com:8888/script.cc">server.myplace.com:8888/script.cc" ""  Michael/Don, note the empty 2nd set of quotes.

[...]

Don, thanks for showing where the wm_menu is.  I almost forgot to send my fix in wm_menu in xfwm4.functions.
Mike, you were right about passing an invalid argument.

Resolution:  I added an IF statement specifically for vmview and removed the ' \"$server\" ' to resolve my issue:

if [ "$type" = "vmview" ]; then
                                command="pkg $mode $type \"$options\""
else

wm_menu
{
(cat $WKDIR/session |grep -Ev '^xfwm4 ') |
                while read type title screen position workspace autostart custom icon_mode server options; do
                        if [ "$server" = "." ]; then unset server ; fi
                        if [ "$options" = "." ]; then unset options ; fi
                        if is_enabled $autostart; then mode=auto; else mode=$MAXIMIZE_DEFAULT;fi
                        if [ "$type" = "vmview" ]; then
                                command="pkg $mode $type \"$options\""
                        else
                                command="pkg $mode $type \"$server\" \"$options\""
                        fi

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Don Cupp <[hidden email]> wrote:
DNS alias's?

[...]

Or, you know, you could have gotten rid of all the bad options in your thinstation.conf:

SESSION_5_VMVIEW_ disableMaximizeApp=TRUE  # invalid option
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_ sendCtrlAltDelToVM=TRUE  # invalid option
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_ sendCtrlAltInsToVM=TRUE  # invalid option
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_connectUSBOnStartup=true  # misspelled but probably won't work
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_connectUSBOnInsert=true    #   without changing /etc/init.d/vmview.init
SESSION_5_VMVIEW_ logInAsCurrentUser=FALSE  # invalid option