Thinstation on HP T5530 and T5540

PaulP

Hey all,

My boss loved the Thinstation solution so much he has asked me to try and get it running on the old thin clients I listed in the subject. I updated my devsation and created a new “All Modules” ./build and attempted to boot from CD and got a Kernel Panic message adfter a long load time (this happens each time I try to boot with the all modules disc.

Error message below

Kernel Panic – no syncing: Out of Memory and no killable process…

Kernel Offset: 0x0 from 0x80200000 (relocation range: 0x80000000-0x9c6dffff) --- end Kernel Panic – Not suncing: Out of memory and no killable process.

End Error message.

Now even my weak linux skills I can tell it is an out of memory error. I check and double checked and both models have sufficient (both models have 128MB). My only guess is the all modules is to large to load on such low RAM.

So I guess I have 2 questions.

1.       How can I get this to load

2.       Is there a repository somewhere of machine builds others have done and shared out? So I can look for these machines and download a working ISO to test or a list of the modules I need to enable in build.conf to make these work?

Paul Porterfield

Data Processing Tech

First Bankers Trust Company, N.A.

505 N 24th St

Quincy, IL 62301

217.228.8003

[hidden email]

IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This transmission was sent from First Bankers Trust Company, N.A. and is intended for use of the addressee shown. It contains information that may be privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that the copying, use, or distribution of any information or materials transmitted herewith is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission by mistake, please destroy the original message and advise us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. REMINDER: Email sent through the Internet is not secure unless documented as such. Do not use unsecured email to send us confidential information such as account and or credit card numbers, change of address, PIN numbers or send time sensitive instructions.

Re: Thinstation on HP T5530 and T5540

Humulus
Paul Porterfield <paul.porterfield@...> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> My boss loved the Thinstation solution so much he has asked me to try and
get it running on the old thin clients I listed in the subject. I updated my
devsation and created a new “All Modules” ./build and attempted to boot from
CD and got
>  a Kernel Panic message adfter a long load time (this happens each time I
try to boot with the all modules disc.

> Error message below
>
> Kernel Panic – no syncing: Out of Memory and no killable process…
> Kernel Offset: 0x0 from 0x80200000 (relocation range:
0x80000000-0x9c6dffff) --- end Kernel Panic – Not suncing: Out of memory and
no killable process.

> End Error message.
>
> Now even my weak linux skills I can tell it is an out of memory error. I
check and double checked and both models have sufficient (both models have
128MB). My only guess is the all modules is to large to load on such low RAM.

> So I guess I have 2 questions.
>
> 1.
> How can I get this to load
> 2.
> Is there a repository somewhere of machine builds others have done and
shared out? So I can look for these machines and download a working ISO to
test or a list of the modules I need to enable in build.conf to make these work?

> Paul Porterfield
> Data Processing Tech
> First Bankers Trust Company, N.A.
> 505 N 24th St
> Quincy, IL 62301
> 217.228.8003
> paul.porterfield <at> firstbankers.com

Hi Paul,

If you disable all the window managers, the "all modules"build will be much
smaller:

In build.conf disable all video drivers and the window managers and utils:
#!!X related
# --- XOrg 7.7
#package xorg7-v4l
#package xorg7-vesa #A fallback driver that works with almost everything.
Does allow resolution changes
#package xorg7-vmware
#package xorg7-ati #ATI video driver for most modern ATI chipsets. Usually
requires several firmwares
#package xorg7-nv #Old opensource nvidia driver
#package xorg7-nouveau #New opensource nvidia driver
#package xorg7_nvidia #Proprietary nvidia driver
#package xorg7-openchrome #Via Video Chipsets driver
#package xorg7-geode #Geode Video driver
#package xorg7-intel #Intel video driver for most modern chipsets except
the GMA3500/3600
#package xorg7-sis

#!!Window Managers. Choose no more than 1 window manager.
# Not needed if you don t want to manage windows.
#package openbox # A spartin clean/fast window manager.
#package xdesktop-kiosk # A locked down desktop kiosk using the openbox wm
(See packages/xdesktop-kiosk/build/conf for
                                # more help.
#package icewm # "ICEWM" window manager.  Makes TS a light workstation.
#package icewm-theme-xp
#package icewm-themes # Extra IceWM themes
#package icewm-theme-bernstein
#package icewm-theme-bluecrux
#package icewm-theme-liquid

#package xfwm4
#package xfwm4-extra
#package terminal # Terminal emulator for xfwm4 -- Pulls in xfwm4
#package thunar # File Manager for xfwm4 -- Pulls in xfwm4

#!!Window Manager Utils
#package idle-shutdown # Package that lets you specify automatic shutdown
settings and logic.
#package wbar         # Adds icons to desktop
#package idesk

#!!Miscellaneous
#package gtk-2.0 # Full gtk-2.0 plus clearlooks theme
#package icons-cursor # Anti Aliased Mouse Cursor Theme
#package icons-hicolor           # Hi-Color icons for some applications and
themes. Does not really contain any icons.
#package icons-gnome             # gnome Hi-Color icons theme. Needed by
most other icon themes.
#package icons-tango             # tango Hi-Color icons theme
#package icons-neu               # neu Hi-Color icons theme
#package fonts-misc
#package fonts-jis-misc # Japanese Industrial
#package fonts-util
#package fonts-cyrillic
#package fonts-Speedo-Bitstream
#package fonts-TTF-BH # This one works nicely most of the time and is small.
#package fonts-TTF-vera
#package fonts-TTF-liberation
#package fonts-75dpi-Adobe
#package fonts-75dpi-Adobe-Utopia
#package fonts-75dpi-BH
#package fonts-75dpi-BH-Typewriter
#package fonts-75dpi-Bitstream
#package fonts-100dpi-Adobe
#package fonts-100dpi-Adobe-Utopia
#package fonts-100dpi-BH
#package fonts-100dpi-BH-Typewriter
#package fonts-100dpi-Bitstream
#package fonts-Type1-Adobe-Utopia
#package fonts-Type1-BH
#package fonts-Type1-Bitstream
#package fonts-Type1-IBM
#package fonts-Type1-xfree86
#package lshw # list hardware
#package e3 # Basic vi like Editor
#package rox # Basic File Manager
#package debug # metapackage to include other debugging packages and stop
during bootup to check things.
#package extensions # Adds various shell commands, will increase image size.
package extensions-x # Adds various utility s for the X Environment !!!!
INCLUDES hwlister.sh !!!!
#package eGalax                 # eGalax TouchKit Drivers/Utility for serial
and usb touchscreens by EETI.
#package installer # Wipes a drive, makes partitions and downloads
thinstation from a pxe server
#package devstation # Starts a tftp server that hosts files from the
boot-images/pxe folder

And enable the package with hwlister:
package extensions-x # Adds various utility s for the X Environment !!!!
INCLUDES hwlister.sh !!!!

In thinstation.conf.buildtime enable session_0 as:
SESSION_0_TYPE=sh
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=on

And do an "all modules" build.
I hope this build will be small enough, it's aroung 90MB
When you boot this build, it will just start a shell, where you can run
hwlister.sh

regards,
Ruud