Troubles with Intel Network Adapters

Alexander Harm
We noticed a difference between the build.conf on Sourceforge and Github. On Sourceforge there was a long list of modules one could comment out/in. On Github this list is greatly reduced.

We tried running Thinstation on PC with Intel network chips (gigabit) but network does not work. we copied over the module list from hwlister - and even with `./build --all-modules` - there is no network.

Aren't there some UNDI drivers that simply work with all cards? Or do I need to initialize the network somewhere?

I changed

```
# /build/packages/base/etc/inittab
-/sbin/agetty -c --noclear --nohints --noissue --nohostname -a root tty1 115200 linux
```

for a script as adviced by Don Cupp.

Regards, Alexander
Dipl.-Wi.-Ing. Alexander Harm
EDV-Systemadministrator
Deutsches Literaturarchiv Marbach
Entwicklung
Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Postfach 1162
71666 Marbach am Neckar
Telefon +49 7144 848 140
Telefax +49 7144 848 154
[hidden email]
http://www.dla-marbach.de

Re: Troubles with Intel Network Adapters

emuhuron
Alexander, you most likely need to your machines profile to get it specific to your system:  https://github.com/Thinstation/thinstation/wiki/Machine-profiles

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Alexander Harm <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Don Cupp
Some devices and network cards require firmware in addition to the kernel modules in order to function correctly. Make sure
param allfirmware
is in your build.conf, and that your also do ./build --allmodules. That should maximize your hardware support for the image.

--
------------------------------ ------------
------------------------------ -----------
Postfach 1162
71666 Marbach am Neckar
Telefon +49 7144 848 140
Telefax +49 7144 848 154
[hidden email]
http://www.dla-marbach.de

Re: Troubles with Intel Network Adapters

Alexander Harm
`param firmware` alone is not enough, `--allmodules` did the trick. Machine profiles are not really interesting for us, since we use thinstation only as basis for Symantec Ghost for imaging. So the different machines are booted rarely from ts.

Thanks for your time and help.

17 January 2017 at 22:46
Some devices and network cards require firmware in addition to the kernel modules in order to function correctly. Make sure
param allfirmware
is in your build.conf, and that your also do ./build --allmodules. That should maximize your hardware support for the image.

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:35 AM, Brian Koch [hidden email] wrote:

Alexander, you most likely need to your machines profile to get it specific to your system:  https://github.com/Thinstation/thinstation/wiki/Machine-profiles

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.

17 January 2017 at 15:31