USB MOUNT NTFS options VS write NTFS flashdisk

USB MOUNT NTFS options VS write NTFS flashdisk

NoreiT
This post was updated on .
Hi,
I use TS542 devstation to create terminal images.
I have problems with USB_MOUNT_OPTIONS. I use czech diacritic in file/folder names, so I had to at least add some USB mount options to display czech characters correctly.

Only (half) functional solution I did was

USB_MOUNT_OPTIONS="utf8" in thinstation.conf.buildtime

It works fine for vfat devices - czech characters displayed correctly, read/write works
for NTFS devices - czech characters displayed correctly, read works, write operation doesnt (mkdir: can't create directory 'šen': Operation not permitted)

I tried for few hours to fiddle with different options as I did in past
USB_MOUNT_OPTIONS="rw,sync,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=852,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro"
but everytime I do some changes (about fmask, dmask, etc) it stops automounting vfat devices (system disk included). Strange is, I can mount it manually without any problem.

I did enabled some modules/packages as I did found in forum (ntfs-3g, fuse) without any further success.

# Every mounted device needs a filesystem, so choose which ones you need.
module usb-storage
module autofs4           # Automount and autofs support
module isofs             # ISO9960 file system support for CDRoms
module udf # CDRom UDF file system support
module vfat             # Fat and VFat file system support
module ntfs             # NTFS file system support
module ext2             # Ext2 file system support
module ext3             # Ext3 file system support
module ext4 # Ext4 file system support
#module nfs             # NFS file system support
#module cifs # CIFS support (use either this or smbfs - not both)
module fuse

# --- Packages below may be "package" or "pkg"
#!!Miscellaneous
package aufs # This is needed in order for squashfs compression mode to work.
package ts-classic              # The classic ts logic for network/netfiles/hostname/mounting/telnetd/telnet/playcd
package automount
package ntfs-3g
#package udisks
#package networkmanager
#package udisks-glue
package ntp # Utility to obtain date & time from network
#package sound-esd # Enable sound-esd or sound-nasd if you want to be able to control
#package sound-nasd #  sound on your thin client from another computer or
                        #  your remote session.

Strange is, filesystem mount seems to be RW (but that fmask,dmask could be a problem)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/usbdevice/sdb1 type ntfs (rw,sync,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usbdevice/sda1 type vfat (rw,sync,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

now i tried

USB_MOUNT_OPTIONS="utf8,umask=022"
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usbdevice/sda1 type ntfs (rw,sync,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1)

still no ntfs write possible.
ts_c03fd566a1b9:/mnt/usbdevice/sda1# mkdir a
mkdir: can't create directory 'a': Operation not permitted

Thanks for any help.

Re: USB MOUNT NTFS options VS write NTFS flashdisk

NoreiT
Hi again.
I figured out that problem is in mount options probably.

When I dont use any USB_MOUNT_OPTIONS

/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /mnt/usbdevice/mmcblk0p1 type vfat (rw,sync,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usbdevice/sda1 type ntfs (rw,sync,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/usbdevice/sdb1 type vfat (rw,sync,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

ntfs not writable
fat32 normally writable
----------------------------
when I use
USB_MOUNT_OPTIONS="fmask=0022,dmask=0022" in thinstation.conf.network

/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /mnt/usbdevice/mmcblk0p1 type vfat (rw,sync,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usbdevice/sda1 type ntfs (rw,sync,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/usbdevice/sdb1 type vfat (rw,sync,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

same situation
ntfs not writable
fat32 normally writable

-------------------
when i unmount ntfs volume and mount it manually with
 mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdevice/sda1

fuse is used just fine
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usbdevice/sda1 type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

ntfs is writable

is there any way how to use -t ntfs-3d parameter automatically?
CD

Re: USB MOUNT NTFS options VS write NTFS flashdisk

CD
Hi,

I just had the same problem.

I made a dirty patch to do that : modify the build/packages/automount/etc/udev/scripts/scsi.sh file and add this line after the line 95

                if [ "$ID_FS_TYPE" == "ntfs" ] ; then ID_FS_TYPE="ntfs-3g";fi

Bests regards.

C.

Re: USB MOUNT NTFS options VS write NTFS flashdisk

Michael K-2
Could be a difference between busybox's mount and util-linux mount.  I'm pulling in the latter via udisks and letting the window manager coordinate the devices.
I don't remember if busybox's mount applet looks for mount.ntfs which would be a link to ntfs-3g.
Could easily confirm by dropping /bin/mount into ntfs-3g/bin

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 7:39 AM, CD <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I just had the same problem.

I made a dirty patch to do that : modify the
build/packages/automount/etc/udev/scripts/scsi.sh file and add this line
after the line 95

                if [ "$ID_FS_TYPE" == "ntfs" ] ; then ID_FS_TYPE="ntfs-3g";fi

Bests regards.

C.

Re: USB MOUNT NTFS options VS write NTFS flashdisk

NoreiT
Works like charm, thanks a LOT!