USB Sticks (and Thinlinc)

Dave Botsch
Hi.

I'm trying to get USB working with my Session 0 being ThinLinc.

It's unclear exactly how things are supposed to work.

All the end user will have access to is the main ThinLinc gui
application and then their login'ed thinlinc session (on linux).

So...

User inserts usb stick into the thin client (an Asus EEEBox in this
case). Dmesg on the thin client shows that the thinstation OS recognizes
the USB stick and partition table/etc.

Is the thin client now supposed to automount the USB stick? Or not?

Is the thin client supposed to mount the USB stick when the user, in the
thinlinc remote session (LInux), run tl-mount-localdrives ?

The documentation on thinlinc's side implies that the thinstation is
supposed to mount the stick and export the mount via NFS... but again,
thinstation never actually mounts anything.

And then the question would be, how does the user on the thinstation
side safely *un* mount the stick? In the remote session, the user would
run tl-umount-localdrives, but the stick (if it was mounted) wouldn't be
unumounted by ThinStation. Or is something automagic supposed to happen?

Thanks.

ps the Default thinstation.build.conf mentions /mnt/usbdevice, but this
directory doesn't exist on the thinstation, so something isn't adding up
here.

--
********************************
David William Botsch

Re: USB Sticks (and Thinlinc)

emuhuron
Dave,  I'm using Vmware, but I believe the lines for your usb issue are as follows (change # and Application to what you need).  In my current build, I'm testing the build by booting from usb to save time.  However, you may need to review thinlinc's manuals. There could be a config file that has to be created/filled out to communicate properly with the usb's.  I had to do that so that Vmware would communicate properly with a webcam.

USB_ENABLED=On
BIND_MOUNT0="storage:/mnt/storage"
STORAGE_CONFIG1=/mnt/storage
#USB_STORAGE_SYNC=on
USB_MOUNT_DIR="/mnt/usbdevice"
USB_MOUNT_USELABEL=YES
MOUNT_0="LABEL=boot     /boot           auto    x-mount.mkdir,defaults  0       0"
MOUNT_1="LABEL=home     /root           auto    x-mount.mkdir,defaults  0       0"
MOUNT_2="LABEL=swap     swap            swap    defaults        0       0"

SESSION_#_Application_AUTODETECT=TRUE
SESSION_#_Application_connectUSBOnStartup=true
SESSION_#_Application_connectUSBOnInsert=true

Brian Koch
IT Dept
City of Taylor, MI
(734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Dave Botsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Don Cupp
add the automount package to thinstation to have thinstation automount drives.

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:39 AM, Brian Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

****************************** **
David William Botsch
Programmer/Analyst
@CNFComputing

Re: USB Sticks (and Thinlinc)

Dave Botsch
What about making sure that the usb stick's writes are synced before
someone pulls it out?

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 05:47:44PM +0000, Don Cupp wrote:

> [...]
>      thinlinc remote session (LInux), run tl-mount-localdrives ?
>      The documentation on thinlinc's side implies that the thinstation is
>      supposed to mount the stick and export the mount via NFS... but
>      again,
>      thinstation never actually mounts anything.
>      And then the question would be, how does the user on the thinstation
>      side safely *un* mount the stick? In the remote session, the user
>      would
>      run tl-umount-localdrives, but the stick (if it was mounted)
>      wouldn't be
>      unumounted by ThinStation. Or is something automagic supposed to
>      happen?
>      Thanks.
>      ps the Default thinstation.build.conf mentions /mnt/usbdevice, but
>      this
>      directory doesn't exist on the thinstation, so something isn't

********************************
David William Botsch
Programmer/Analyst
@CNFComputing

Re: USB Sticks (and Thinlinc)

emuhuron
First thoughts (as I'm stuck on my own TS issue today):
  1. Stand behind user
  2. Smack user in back of head
  3. Ask user:  "What's the ticket number for your issue?"
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 as necessary before Step 5
  5. Choose the option to "Safely remove the Hardware and eject the media" from the Windows taskbar,  OR Right-click on usb device in Windows Explorer window and choose to Eject it
Please note that Step 2 can be replaced for hardware issues when parts won't separate:  "Lift laptop screen over user's head and smack them with screen body to separate lcd screen from monitor body."

I have to right-click and eject for proper removal in my vmware vdi every time (non-TS environment that didn't care if usb's were plugged in or not).  You may only want to tell the user the last step until you resolve any delayed syncing.  You may want to do some research on usb syncing in linux if the above steps aren't satisfactory.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Dave Botsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>      thinlinc remote session (LInux), run tl-mount-localdrives ?
>      The documentation on thinlinc's side implies that the thinstation is
>      supposed to mount the stick and export the mount via NFS... but
>      again,
>      thinstation never actually mounts anything.
>      And then the question would be, how does the user on the thinstation
>      side safely *un* mount the stick? In the remote session, the user
>      would
>      run tl-umount-localdrives, but the stick (if it was mounted)
>      wouldn't be
>      unumounted by ThinStation. Or is something automagic supposed to
>      happen?
>      Thanks.
>      ps the Default thinstation.build.conf mentions /mnt/usbdevice, but
>      this
>      directory doesn't exist on the thinstation, so something isn't

You can set

USB_STORAGE_SYNC=on
This will make writes to the usb drive slower, but synconized, so that a drive can be removed at anytime(ish).

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:34 AM, Brian Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>      thinlinc remote session (LInux), run tl-mount-localdrives ?
>>      The documentation on thinlinc's side implies that the thinstation is
>>      supposed to mount the stick and export the mount via NFS... but
>>      again,
>>      thinstation never actually mounts anything.
>>      And then the question would be, how does the user on the thinstation
>>      side safely *un* mount the stick? In the remote session, the user
>>      would
>>      run tl-umount-localdrives, but the stick (if it was mounted)
>>      wouldn't be
>>      unumounted by ThinStation. Or is something automagic supposed to
>>      happen?
>>      Thanks.
>>      ps the Default thinstation.build.conf mentions /mnt/usbdevice, but
>>      this
>>      directory doesn't exist on the thinstation, so something isn't

Re: USB Sticks (and Thinlinc)

Dave Botsch
This might normally work, except the thinstation gui itself isn't
exopsing any usb GUI to the user.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 02:33:11PM -0500, Brian Koch wrote:

> [...]
>    >  Â  MOUNT_0="LABEL=boot  Â  Â /boot  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â auto  Â
>    x-mount.mkdir,defaults
>    >Â  Â  Â 0Â  Â  Â  Â 0"
>    >  Â  MOUNT_1="LABEL=home  Â  Â /root  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â auto  Â
>    x-mount.mkdir,defaults
>    >Â  Â  Â 0Â  Â  Â  Â 0"
>    >  Â  MOUNT_2="LABEL=swap  Â  Â swap  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  swap  Â
>    defaults  Â  Â  Â  0
>    >Â  Â  0"
>    >Â  Â  SESSION_#_Application_AUTODETECT=TRUE
>    >Â  Â  SESSION_#_Application_ connectUSBOnStartup=true
>    >Â  Â  SESSION_#_Application_ connectUSBOnInsert=true
>    >Â  Â  Brian Koch
>    >Â  Â  IT Dept
>    >Â  Â  City of Taylor, MI
>    >Â  Â  (734) 374-1514 or Ext. 7550 (internal use)
>    >Â  Â  Please have a ticket put in if you need an issue resolved.
>    >Â  Â  On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Dave Botsch
>
>    >Â  Â  <[1][3][hidden email]> wrote:
>    >
>    >Â  Â  Â  Hi.
>    >Â  Â  Â  I'm trying to get USB working with my Session 0 being
>    ThinLinc.
>    >Â  Â  Â  It's unclear exactly how things are supposed to work.
>    >Â  Â  Â  All the end user will have access to is the main ThinLinc gui
>    >Â  Â  Â  application and then their login'ed thinlinc session (on
>    linux).
>    >Â  Â  Â  So...
>    >Â  Â  Â  User inserts usb stick into the thin client (an Asus EEEBox
>    in this
>    >Â  Â  Â  case). Dmesg on the thin client shows that the thinstation OS
>    >Â  Â  Â  recognizes
>    >Â  Â  Â  the USB stick and partition table/etc.
>    >Â  Â  Â  Is the thin client now supposed to automount the USB stick?
>    Or not?
>    >Â  Â  Â  Is the thin client supposed to mount the USB stick when the
>    user, in
>    >Â  Â  Â  the
>    >Â  Â  Â  thinlinc remote session (LInux), run tl-mount-localdrives ?
>    >Â  Â  Â  The documentation on thinlinc's side implies that the
>    thinstation is
>    >Â  Â  Â  supposed to mount the stick and export the mount via NFS...
>    but
>    >Â  Â  Â  again,
>    >Â  Â  Â  thinstation never actually mounts anything.
>    >Â  Â  Â  And then the question would be, how does the user on the
>    thinstation
>    >Â  Â  Â  side safely *un* mount the stick? In the remote session, the
>    user
>    >Â  Â  Â  would
>    >Â  Â  Â  run tl-umount-localdrives, but the stick (if it was mounted)
>    >Â  Â  Â  wouldn't be
>    >Â  Â  Â  unumounted by ThinStation. Or is something automagic supposed
>    >Â  Â  Â  happen?
>    >Â  Â  Â  Thanks.
>    >Â  Â  Â  ps the Default thinstation.build.conf mentions
>    /mnt/usbdevice, but
>    >Â  Â  Â  this
>    >Â  Â  Â  directory doesn't exist on the thinstation, so something

David William Botsch
Programmer/Analyst
@CNFComputing

Re: USB Sticks (and Thinlinc)

emuhuron
So the thinlinc isn't seeing the usb?  How about the TS?