Virtual classroom with 5 thin client

evolur
Hi,

I'm new with Thinstation and need help.
I've got an old PC boot an image of ThinStation by network (PXE ) DHCP and TFTP.

Now I want to get 5 old computers loaded this same image and each connect automatically when you start a 5 virtual machines with Windows 7

I do not know how to do it. I appreciate any help .

Thank you!!

Re: Virtual classroom with 5 thin client

nivbehar
Hey,
This pc is connecting to a terminal server via remote desktop I assume.
At booting, the image grabs net files? (if you dont know what I mean, take a look at the tftp folder in your netwrok, and tell me if you can see files like "thinstation.netwrok", "thinstation.hosts" etc..)
In that situation, you only need to connect this extra computers and boot them from pxe.

Tell us more information about what you are trying to do..

Niv.

Re: Virtual classroom with 5 thin client

evolur
First of all, thanks for your reply.

I will try to give more information...

-I have 5 older computers that boot with an image of Thinstation through PXE. This I have it set.

-On the other hand I have a VMware ESXi 5 virtual machines with Windows 7 and static IP . This is also what I have set.

-I need to do and do not know how to do...

I want each image Thinstation automatically connect to start with each of the virtual machines Windows 7 via RDP. And not randomly but each Thinstation start a virtual machine in particular,

Thank you very much

Re: Virtual classroom with 5 thin client

nivbehar
OK,
So, if i understand it right, you want each of your 5 pc to connect (via remote desktop) to 1 of your 5 virtual machines.
can u answer to my last question about the net-files in your tftp server?
I guess its another guy who build the image you have and not you, so i need you to answer this..

When building the image, I hope he added these options:
NET_FILE_ENABLED=ON
NET_FILE_METHOD=tftp

can you maybe connect to your thinstation in your working pc via telnet\ssh, navigate to the folder called /etc/ and then use "cat thinstation.defaults" to see the file.
if you can do this, check if there are these NET_FILE options i mentioned.
if there are not there, you will probebly need to build another image that contains these options.
search about thinstation netfiles to understand how it works..

Re: Virtual classroom with 5 thin client

evolur
No, I do not have those files. I guess I should have added these lines (NET_FILE_ENABLED=ON and
NET_FILE_METHOD=tftp) to the file thinstation.conf.buildtime before generating the image. Is this correct?

What are the next steps once again generated image

Thank you very much

Re: Virtual classroom with 5 thin client

nivbehar
This post was updated on .
Yap, you should do that.
after bulding an image with this options, you need to create some files in the tftp folder.
you will probebly need these files:
thinstation.hosts - contains the MACs of each computer you will boot from pxe.
you can find this file online, and edit it as you want.
since you want each computer to connect to a different virtual machine, you will need to create thinstation.conf-computername for each machine (computername is the name you typed in the hosts file for each machine).

then, you will need to add this option to each thinstation.conf file:
SESSION_X_RDESKTOP_SERVER=ip or the server name of the virtual machine you want
X is the number of your rdesktop session in your thinstation, since i dont know your session's number.

this is the ideal way to do this. this way, you can change anytime the virtual machine that your pc will connect to.

edit:
you will also need to enable ts-classic package in build.conf

Re: Virtual classroom with 5 thin client

evolur
Hi!!,

I'm going crazy!!!

I get that terminal PXE boot the image Thinstation but can not get the virtual machine to automatically connect.

If you can help me ... I'll put here a snapshot of the environment.

Do not know if I'll have any other option to enable configuration files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pafqkccyorzpdcn/Thinstation.pdf?dl=0

Thank you

Re: Virtual classroom with 5 thin client

nivbehar
I have been abroad the last 10 days so I couldnt post, i hope u solved this already.
anyway,
i see u can boot the image, thats ok.
try to add these commands too:
SESSION_0_TITLE="NAME OF THE SERVER" # this is a title for the session, type whatever u want
SESSION_0_TYPE=RDESKTOP # this is the type of the session, in this case its rdesktop
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=ON # use on/off to choose if u want the session to start automatically or not
SESSION_0_ICON=ON # use on/off if u want an icon on the desktop for this session

do u have a tftp log?
i wanna know if the tftp server actually sending the "thinstation.hosts", and the "thinstation.conf-thinstation1" files to the client.

Niv.

Re: Virtual classroom with 5 thin client

evolur
In a few days I can try and tell you the result.

Thank you!!!