Xendesktop and firefox (kiosk) installation and configuration example

Xendesktop and firefox (kiosk) installation and configuration example

Martijn de Jongh
This post was updated on .
Hello,

After 10 years i am using Thinstation again :-) It worked for me then and hope it will do now. Wasn't doing much with reusing old pc's anymore. But now there is a new case. So let me say that I really like the project and want to say thanks for maintaining it!

This post is about getting my configuration up and running (no Linux guy) and maybe help some of you out there struggeling through all kinds of information out here\there

My environment:
Xendesktop 7.8
Storefront 3.5
Fujitsu FUTRO S550/S900/S920 Thin Clients
Thinstation 5.4
MS Windows 2012R2 DHCP
MS Windows 2012R2 DNS

-Initial Test-
The first test was with the Thinstation live CD and via firefox 31.2.0. This gave me a working Xendesktop.

-Installing the DevStation-
Next step. Started with the Devstation installation in VMWare and its easy to use (Before I used the Website builds via TS-O-Matic) Problem I ran in to was that the DevStation did not keep its manual set IP address somehow so I used an DHCP reservation.

-TFTP\PXE Setup-
I wanted to use PXE and network set configuration with "thinstation.conf.network" and MAC or GROUP files.

in DNS I made an A record pointing to my DevStation named "thinstation" with TTL of 0 seconds

In DHCP I made the following settings.

Added the scope options:
066 <DevStation dns entry>
067 /boot/pxelinux/pxelinux.0

On the DevStation I made the following directory:
/thinstation/build/boot-images/pxe/ts5.4/

-Making the build-
--Making machine profiles--
To get all the right hardware drivers\modules\packages from the thin clients models I used the default out of the box "build.conf" with all hardware relevant machine modules packages enabled. Then run the command ./Build --allmodules (uncommenting the "package extensions" and "package extensions-x" in the build.conf file) Booted my 3 thin clients and run "/etc/hwlister.sh" from the terminal application. The output files (module.list and package.list) where in the root. I copied these to my DevStation in newly made machine folders.

/thinstation/build/machine/FUJITSU-S550/(module.list)(package.list)

In the build.conf I added the lines:

#!Hardware
#!!Machine module list
machine FUJITSU-S550 # Fujitsu Thin Client
machine FUJITSU-S900 # Fujitsu Thin Client
machine FUJITSU-S920 # Fujitsu Thin Client

--Packages--
In the build.conf i selected ica and firefox package and firefox kiosk. Downloaded the Citrix receiver for Linux and moved it to the "/thinstation/downloads" folder and adjusted the "/thinstation/build/build.urls" text file with correct file paths. (used firefox because chrome gave an error downloading 32bit version)

Specific for TFTP to work in the build.conf I selected:
package ts-classic
and unselected
#package networkmanager

(I tested with as many unselected modules\packages later as possible)

In the thinstation.conf.buildtime I used these default settings.

NET_USE=BOTH
NET_USE_DHCP=on
NET_HOSTNAME=WP-*
NET_FILE_ENABLED=On
NET_FILE_METHOD=tftp

SESSION_0_TITLE="Firefox"
SESSION_0_TYPE=firefox
SESSION_0_AUTOSTART=On
SESSION_0_FIREFOX_OPTIONS="-width 1920 -height 1200"
SESSION_0_FIREFOX_HOMEPAGE=http://desktop.xyz.local

-Firefox Kiosk mode-
For Firefox kiosk mode to work I made the change in: /thinstation/build/packages/firefox/etc/TS.default/prefs.tpl

Added the lines:
user_pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 0);
user_pref("extensions.enabledScopes", 15);

-Enabling of Citrix Reicever plugin in Firefox-
For Citrix receiver plugin in Firefox to "Always activate" I made the change in:
/thinstation/build/packages/firefox/etc/TS.default/prefs.tpl

Added the lines:
user_pref("plugin.state.npica", 2);

-Supressing the Citrix EULAacceptance agreement-
For the supression of the Citrix EULA I made a change in:

./packages/ica/etc/init.d/ica.init
and
./packages/ica/build/extra/etc/init.d/ica.init

Added the lines:

After:
 # Create a cache directory
 if [ ! -e $ICA_CONF/cache ] ; then mkdir $ICA_CONF/cache ; fi

Add:
 # Accept EULA
 if [ ! -e $ICA_CONF/.eula_accepted ] ; then touch $ICA_CONF/.eula_accepted ; fi

-Dual screen and resolution settings-
The thin clients have dual monitor setups. I booted with the live CD and used the command "xrandr" to check the monitor config and find the right settings. For both monitors to work I added the following lines in thinstation.conf(.network) (thanks Don for helping :-)

USE_XRANDR=true
XRANDR_OPTIONS="--output DisplayPort-0 --output DVI-0 --right-of DisplayPort-0"

-Branding-
To give the whole desktop experience a finishing touch branding was used in the splash screen\storefront login web page\VDI desktop background via custom designed jpg file. So in every stage of the login was a same background picture. Looks really cool..

For the Thinstation splash screen I edited the custom jpg file with a welcome text "Please wait, your desktop is being started" This message was made above the progress bar. This edited jpg was saved in all the needed sizes and placed in "/thinstation/build/utils/tools/splash/default/<size>" (sizes must match with the file properties image size) All the files replace the existing silent.jpg.

Now the default progress bar color was a little off with the used background picture colors ;-) This was a real challenge for me as a non Linux user. This site helped do.
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Design_your_own_Framebuffer_Splash

In the <size>.cfg files I changed the color lines from yellow to red
(http://www.colorhexa.com/b72b00)

#b77200 #f2b700 #b77200 #f2b700
became
#b72b00 #f22b00 #b72b00 #f22b00

Since the progress bar was  to low for the new picture I moved the bar up up changing the X and Z lines -1 number.

# background
box silent noover    W X Y Z #515151
box silent inter     W X Y Z #b72b00 #f22b00 #b72b00 #f22b00
box silent           W X Y Z #b72b00 #f22b00 #b72b00 #f22b00

# black border
box silent            W X Y Z #b5b5b5
box silent            W X Y Z #b5b5b5
box silent            W X Y Z #b5b5b5
box silent             W X Y Z #b5b5b5

Re: Xendesktop and firefox (kiosk) installation and configuration example

Martijn de Jongh
Updated