configure alternative tftp server

nivbehar
Hello guys,

I have build an image to ts 5.4, and installed a tftp server on my network so the clients will download their settings from it.
I wonder what happens if my tftp server will fail sometime..
Can i configure something in thinstation.conf.buildtime to search for a backup tftp server if the original one fails?

I already put these commands in my build

NET_FILE_ENABLED=on
NET_FILE_METHOD=tftp
NET_FILE_ALTERNATE=tftp-srv

tnx :)

Niv.

Re: configure alternative tftp server

David Pollard
Hi Niv,
The client contacts the TFTP server very early in the boot process.
That is before client knows anything about what OS it is going to boot.
The client first locates the DHCP server (from memory it is via a broadcast
on the local LAN segment)
Among other things the DHCP server provides the TFTP address via Option  66
"Boot Server Host Name"
>From what I have read this is a single address not a list of addresses.

This is a question I have been wondering about myself as I work on
implementing network booted thin clients.

>From a quick Google It appears the answer is to use a host name instead of
an IP address in option 66.
You then set your DNS server to return a list of IP addresses in what is
referred to as "Round Robin"
So it won't be a primary / backup TFTP server, it is as the name suggests, a
rotation, the servers take it in turns at being first in the list.
I'm assuming if the first server in the list is not responding the client
will move to the next one in the list. (not much point in being a list
otherwise)
Here are some general articles not related to ThinStation directly.

Option 66 is discussed in items 1 and 2 in the following article
https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2011/05/02/load-balancing-tftp-anything-but-tri
vial/

Here is Microsoft's description of DNS Round Robin.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2009/04/17/dns-round-robin-an
d-destination-ip-address-selection/

I'll be trying this in future.  I'm also keen to hear what solution you
finally come up with.

Regards
David

Re: configure alternative tftp server

nivbehar
Hey David,
thank you for your replay, things looks much more clear to me now.
ill ask for adding option 66 in our dhcp server :)

have a good day,
niv.

Re: configure alternative tftp server

nivbehar
Hello again,

After configuring option 66 and specify the ip address of my tftp server, thinstation cant find any tftp server on the network (tried to specify the server's hostname too).
I have rebuild the image and removed NET_FILE_ALTERNATE option from the buildtime.conf, so it will find the tftp server on it's own.

Is something wrong with my build? or something wrong with the dhcp server?

Regards.

Niv

Re: configure alternative tftp server

Martijn de Jongh
This post was updated on .
Hi Niv,

Check my config for PXE and TFTP (DNS RR)

http://thinstation.4464.n7.nabble.com/Xendesktop-and-firefox-kiosk-installation-and-configuration-example-td25947.html

Dont forget to set the DNS TTL records to 0 seconds (ping the entry couple of times to see it work RR)

Also

Specific for TFTP to work in the build.conf I selected:
package ts-classic
and unselected
#package networkmanager

Re: configure alternative tftp server

nivbehar
Hi Martin,

After adding option 67 on my DHCP server, thinstation now can find the TFTP server.
Leaving option 67 blanked does the work.
I didnt mark option 67 in the first place because im not booting thinstation from PXE.

Anyway, thank you for your help, i actually looked at your post couple of days before, and i find it very interesting.

Regards,
Niv.

Re: configure alternative tftp server

David Pollard
Hi Niv,
I might have given you a point in the wrong direction.  I had assumed you
were doing a PXE boot from the LAN card.
Now that I read between the lines on the email I responded to I see you say
you are downloading the settings.  (Not the entire image)
You will probably get better advise from other people as I have not tried
doing this separately.