e1000 network module

McHenry
I am using a HP Compaq 8000 Elite PC.

I was unable to get the network working so I added the following to build.conf
module e1000

After rebuilding the image the network still failed.

I have discovered that by selecting "Toggle All Modules" and building the image it then works.

What does this function do and is this the only way to get my e1000 working.

Re: e1000 network module

Don Cupp
At the top of build.conf is a recipe for creating the exact module and firmware lists that you need to initialize all of your hardware with the fewest amount of resources.

Doing an allmodules/allfirmware build should only be necessary in the beginning when you are creating your machine profile.

On Monday, June 13, 2016 11:26 PM, Henry McLaughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am using a HP Compaq 8000 Elite PC.

I was unable to get the network working so I added the following to build.conf
module e1000

After rebuilding the image the network still failed.

I have discovered that by selecting "Toggle All Modules" and building the image it then works.

What does this function do and is this the only way to get my e1000 working.

Re: e1000 network module

McHenry
Hi Don and thanks for the reply.

At the top of my build.conf file i have a set of machine profiles, is this what you mean? I have now enabled:
machine classic-generic

Even though I have "module e1000" enabled was it not loading because i have the incorrect machine profile selected?

Re: e1000 network module

McHenry
Interesting my testing thin client VM works with the NIC set to e1000 yet a physical workstation was unable to load the e1000 module. (I had the machine profile set to VMWare)

Re: e1000 network module

You need to make a machine profile. The process for getting this done, is documented at the top of build.conf.example
### --- Machine Modules to include in boot image --- ###
# A machine profile is a set of modules for a specific set of hardware
# components like a thinclient with adapters. It does not include any
# filesystem modules, those need to be selected individualy. Making a
# a machine profile is a two step process. First you will need to make
# an allmodules build like "./build --allmodules" with the extensions-x
# package included. Once the client machine is booted with that image
# you can open and xterm or telnet in and run "hwlister.sh". hwlister.sh
# will compile some lists and attempt to post them to the pxe server assigned
# to the client. If the pxe server is this workstation and you are hosting
# files directly out of this build env, you can then run
# "./mkmachine SOME-MODEL" and the files will be put into the machine folder
# under that model name. Now all you have to do is add a line to this file
# like "machine SOME-MODEL" and you will no longer have to make
# allmodules builds. If this is not the pxe server, you will have to
# move stuff around on your own, but the most important files are
# modules.list and firmware.list.

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:21 PM, McHenry <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Don and thanks for the reply.

At the top of my build.conf file i have a set of machine profiles, is this
what you mean? I have now enabled:
machine classic-generic

Even though I have "module e1000" enabled was it not loading because i have
the incorrect machine profile selected?

Re: e1000 network module

McHenry
Thanks again Don. I understand a machine profile will include only the required modules however I thought I could include a module in another build with the modules XXX line. In my case when I used the VMWare machine profile everything worked on the workstation except the NIC. When I added "module e1000" it still didn't work?

On 15 June 2016 at 11:19, Don Cupp [via Thinstation] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://thinstation.4464.n7.nabble.com/e1000-network-module-tp26062p26066.html
To unsubscribe from e1000 network module, click here.
NAML

Re: e1000 network module

Don Cupp
It is possible to include multiple machine profiles. You might be missing a bus module, so the machine never even finds the nic, and so does not load it's module. I don't know which bus module you need, but it sounds like it gets loaded with an allmodules build.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 6:47 PM, McHenry
[...]

Worked thanks :)