framebuffer kernel modules

John Friend
Hello Don

Under 5.2, I have issues with running splash on two types of HP Thin clients. One with VX800/VX820 and the other with VX900 graphics. Both have problems with uvesafb. VX900 one can not load it automatically but works well if I modprobe the module manually. For VX800/VX820, it never works.

So I want to try viafb but noticed that you have unselected all vendor specific framebuffer modules in the kernel. (same for 5.4) Is it because they cause conflicts with KMS modules ? If so, how about creating all of them but blacklisting as default ?

John Friend

Re: framebuffer kernel modules

John Friend
Thanks for accepting my suggestion and sorry for late reply. Finally I had time to download current 5.2 kernels and do some homework. Attached I am sending patch files for UP/SMP/x64 kernel configs. If they are OK, I can prepare patchs for other branchs too. Regarding blacklist, I prepared a generic one which includes several fb modules including ones I have added to the config files.

By the way, is it possible for you to add via opensource driver to 5.2 branch too ? I want to test it but I need to stich with 5.2 until I port my works to 5.4.

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:03:59 +0000
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Thinstation-general] framebuffer kernel modules

TS-5.2.tgz (5K) Download Attachment

Re: framebuffer kernel modules

John Friend

Don, did you have time to look at this ? I had some progress with both VX800/VX820 and VX900 using uvesafb and keen to test viafb and via opensource xorg drivers under 5.2.

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 20:31:28 +0000

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:03:59 +0000
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

I guess we could do that. So far as I know, no one is maintaining the via kernel module. It might work for old stuff, but the vx800+ series should not need it. send me a patch for the ones you think should be enabled, and a blacklist to stop them by default.

Re: framebuffer kernel modules

John Friend
Thanks Don, I have noticed that 5.5 is coming with those modules. I think I will skip 5.4 and continue with 5.5 as my next version.

Regarding splash and Xorg issues in 5.2, I have solved them by compiling via opensource driver and vgastate kernel modules. I am glad that TS chroot is a mature env so that its not hurt me so much to get it done. Below links was helpful too:

      http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.thinstation.general/24197
      http://blog.iservery.com/2015/05/12/kompilace-thinstation-5/

By the way, openchrome project have some new activities. Novadays two new developers working on DDX and DRM/KMS drivers seperately.

On 16.03.2016 03:20, doncuppjr wrote:
I think I got everything merged into master.......