Quantcast

t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

McHenry
I have a LAN with a number of thinstation PXE clients working well.

I am trying to introduce a number of t5135 TCs without success.

At boot the t5135 gets an IP and displays the following with a flashing cursor:

Thinstation Linux
boot:

In build.conf I have uncommented:
machine HP-t5135

Ant pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Re: t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

edwhardo
Hi Henry,

I had a similar error once and found that the initrd was truncated. I wasn't using devstation and the file didn't finish copying to the external TFTP server.

Other than that, did you do an allmodules build?

Ed

On 29/03/2017 12:31 PM, Henry McLaughlin wrote:
I have a LAN with a number of thinstation PXE clients working well.

I am trying to introduce a number of t5135 TCs without success.

At boot the t5135 gets an IP and displays the following with a flashing cursor:

Thinstation Linux
boot:

In build.conf I have uncommented:
machine HP-t5135

Ant pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Re: t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

McHenry
hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply. Other machines on the lan still work and I think they all use the same initrd...

I enabled all modules and tried to boot without success. When I enable all modules do I need to do a build image again?

Thanks

Henry

On 29 March 2017 at 13:34, Ed <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Henry,

I had a similar error once and found that the initrd was truncated. I wasn't using devstation and the file didn't finish copying to the external TFTP server.

Other than that, did you do an allmodules build?

Ed

On 29/03/2017 12:31 PM, Henry McLaughlin wrote:
I have a LAN with a number of thinstation PXE clients working well.

I am trying to introduce a number of t5135 TCs without success.

At boot the t5135 gets an IP and displays the following with a flashing cursor:

Thinstation Linux
boot:

In build.conf I have uncommented:
machine HP-t5135

Ant pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Re: t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

McHenry
Hi Don and thanks for replying. I bet you are right.

initrd = 154 Mb

Client has:
112 Mb RAM
64 Mb Flash HDD
https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-thin-client-t5135-eden-400-mhz-monitor-none-series/specs/

I strongly suspect my build.conf file is bloated however I am unsure of what can be removed and what can not. I only need to boot into an RDP session so I have session_0_type=freerdp and I use cups for printer redirection and use audio redirection.

machine VMWare
machine classic_generic
machine HP-t5135
machine HP-Elite-8000
machine HP-Elite-dc7800p
machine HP-AIO

module isofs
module udf
module vfat
module ext4
module vgastate
module via_chrome9

package aufs
package ts-classic
package udisks
package ntp
package alsa
package gnome-media
package gnome-core
package volumeicon
package gst-plugins-base
package gst-plugins-good
package cpufreq
package xorg7-v4l
package xorg7-vesa
package xorg7-vmware
package xorg7-ati
package xorg7-openchrome
package xorg7-intel
package xorg7-sis
package xorg7-via
package locale-en_US
package freerdp
package ssh
package firefox
package open-vm-tools
package xfwm4
package xfce4-power-manager
package terminal
package thunar
package lprng
package cups
package hpijs
package ghostscript
package samba-client
package gtk-2.0
package icons-cursor
package icons-hicolor
package icons-gnome
package fonts-TTF-BH
package fonts-TTF-vera
package fonts-TTF-liberation
package extensions
package extensions-x

param rootpasswd     pleasechangeme
param xorgvncpasswd  pleasechangeme
param storagepasswd  pleasechangeme
param dialuppasswd   pleasechangeme
param sambapasswd    pleasechangeme
param splash     silent
param fbmtrr         0
param fbsm           ywrap
param bootresolution 1280x768-32
param desktop file:./backgrounds/Hive_Lite.jpg
param defaultconfig  thinstation.conf.buildtime
param basename       thinstation
param basepath       ts5.4
param baseurl        http://www.doncuppjr.net
param haltonerror    false
param hardlinkfs     true
param sametimestmp   true
param initrdcmd     "squashfs"
param bootverbosity   3
param downloads         /downloads
param bootimages        "pxe"
param syslinuxtheme     "default"
package alltimezone
param allres true
param allfirmware true
param blacklist snd-pcsp.ko

Re: t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

edwhardo
Hi Henry,

You have to build again after changing anything in build.conf or thinstation.conf.buildtime. On the other hand, if you are doing boot time configuration for clients or groups of clients (see https://github.com/Thinstation/thinstation/wiki/Configuration ), that doesn't require a rebuild as those configurations override/overwrite the ones in your prebuilt image after it is loaded on your clients.

If you haven't rebuilt after adding

machine HP-t5135

in build.conf, then do that first before trying an allmodules build. Hopefully you have a way of testing the new client without changing the image that is working for the other clients.

I may be barking up the wrong tree. Don has also posted a reply that suggests it may be a RAM issue in the new client.

Cheers,

Ed

On 29/03/2017 4:51 PM, Henry McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Blindauer Emmanuel-2

On 29/03/2017 12:30, McHenry wrote:
> Hi Don and thanks for replying. I bet you are right.
>
> initrd = 154 Mb
>
> Client has:
> 112 Mb RAM

Hello
you won't be able to run Thinstation 5.4 or 5.5 on this hardware.
The default image need at least 1Go.
Several yers ago I could get a 5.4 image boot on a HP 5125 (128M RAM),
but the initrd was 80/90 Mo large, and there wasn't enough RAM to launch
X and use rdesktop more than 10mn.

Emmanuel Blindauer

Re: t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

Don Cupp
It is possible. BUT BUT BUT, it takes a lot of dedication to getting thin, the image will likely be for a single hardware config, will need to use local storage to supplement RAM limitations. It's a good challenge that will take you into many of the parts of Thinstation, but also a huge headache. How many of those ancient machines do you have?

McHenry
30 :(

Re: t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

McHenry
If local storage only does that mean that PXE is not an option?

All I need is FreeRDP, CUPS & audio...

If since machine profile only is it possible to have these on the same LAN as my other thin station machines and if so then there must be a way to run multiple boot images or similar... ?

Thanks Don.

p.s. build.conf comes with a predefined t5135 image... I thought it was ready to go !

Re: t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

Don Cupp
The t5135 machine profile should work(it was a competent contrib, but kernel could have changed), but it's the only machine profile that can be in the build. It is 'not' possible to do  allmodules(without tricks) in that little bit of RAM.

It is possible to use different images via PXE in at least two ways. You can set DHCP to hand out a completely different boot location to certain clients, or setup HEX-IP named files for pxelinux to hand out, that point to different images.

You don't have to do local storage only, you can mix local and network resources with a bit of ingenuity. Basically, default to localboot, check network for updates, if updates exist, update, reboot, else continue local; if no local, go to network. You can even get super tricky, and download the update in the background will the user is working, then notify when ready. The default network image can be an ultra-basic installer for local booting. There was a recent contrib to Stable that did almost exactly this.

The usefulness of local storage is that it's essentially like having a hard drive, where most files(in our case, blocks within the image archive)stay on the local storage medium instead of going into memory.

For 30 units, I would pass on all of this entirely, and just purchase replacement equipment that supports more memory. 30 x $150 is a cheap and easy victory over the headache of working with so little memory and modern software.

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:51 PM, McHenry <[hidden email]> wrote:

If local storage only does that mean that PXE is not an option?

All I need is FreeRDP, CUPS & audio...

If since machine profile only is it possible to have these on the same LAN
as my other thin station machines and if so then there must be a way to run
multiple boot images or similar... ?

Thanks Don.

p.s. build.conf comes with a predefined t5135 image... I thought it was
ready to go !

Re: t5135 - Loading ::/boot/initrd failed: Bad file number

McHenry
Cancel that thought...
Found a few websites selling RAM upgrades for this model:
https://www.datamemorysystems.com/dms-memory/hewlett-packard/thin-client-t5135.htm

Upon closer investigation it is now clear the RAM cannot be upgraded :(

Thanks for the help and advice anyway.

p.s. Is there a recommended/preferred thin client for use with Thinstation ?

Yes.